1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Google Algorithm Exposed!

Discussion in 'Google' started by Nemanja, Dec 19, 2010.

This is my orig article about it here:
    http://www.imtalk.org/google/1235-g...p-you-better-understand-googles-rankings.html

Do you want to know how Google search engine works?
    How they rank web pages?
    How they crawl websites, measure and calculate things like domain information, user behavior, website trust, authority, link weight, freshness of links etc...?

Or do you want to know how other things works, like near duplicate or duplicate content works, or image search or code search or how they rank web pages locally...

OK, I know, you get it, so lets move on...

Now, you know that when you have a very good idea and you want to protect your idea from others stealing it from you, you need to patent it, in order to patent your idea you need to carefully document your invention, make a working model and so on...

You see, Google have employed some great minds there and they have made some great inventions and projects, so in order for them to keep the right on their inventions, Google needs to patent them and now you are guessing where this is going to ;).

You don't even need to go to some .gov websites or some offline facilities and search thousands patents, Google have made that easy for you too :).

Google have search engine just for patents and if you go there and search in quotes
    "Assignee: Google Inc" you will find all patents made by Google. This is the link for that query search: patent search.

Most interesting Google patents for you would be documents(web page) indexing and ranking patents, like these (pdf files are in better resolution):
    Information Retrieval Based on Historical Data
    Search result ranking based on trust
    Ranking documents based on user behavior and/or feature data
    + you can find others also and connect the dots ;)

Now I know that these documents are written in very "techy language", but read it very carefully and use illustrations(pics) to figure out these documents. Also I know that these are not fully detailed algorithms, but they can give you very good information how things works and if you read and connect few other Google patents you will have great understanding about things behind closed doors.

There are few other patents that might be interesting to you, like:
    Detecting duplicate and near-duplicate files
    Techniques for finding related hyperlinked documents using link-based analysis
    Link based clustering of hyperlinked documents
    Adaptive computation of ranking
    and many, many others, just search with this search string "Assignee: Google Inc" and find the one you are interested in.

Back on the Google Ranking Algorithm, yes this is very tedious task to go trough all over these patents/documents, but this is the best way to find great and valuable info., just few things from these documents can make very big difference for your business.

As I said it before these are very "techy" documents, but luckily for you, guys from SEOmoz.org "translated and rewritten" these in non-techy language, so regular person can understand what is happening, but again I recommend that you read original document also, you will get better and little more detailed picture.

So here is the link from SEOMoz.org with simplified version of Google Indexing and Ranking Patents:
    http://www.seomoz.org/article/google-historical-data-patent

Nemanja

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Nemanja, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  2. tampacardealer

tampacardealer Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a good read for newbies, but just because their patents are public doesn't help anyone much. Their secret is the filters they use (fpr penalties, etc....)...you won't read that anywhere in a patent

tampacardealer, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  3. Nemanja

Nemanja Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Some of them you can actually find, if you look in the right documents, like:
    watching for sites that rise in the rankings too quickly,
    watching for registration information,
    IP addresses, name servers, hosts, etc that are on their "bad list",
    growth of off-topic links,
    speed of link gain,
    percentage of similar anchor text,
    topic/Subject shifts or additions ,
    etc...

Nemanja, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  4. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    There is a big difference between what Google has invented and what Google is actually using. These patent documents have been around for 10 years in some cases. So, while interesting, it is not what your thread title says it is. It is not "Google Algorithm Exposed!".

What you seem to be doing is trying to create excitement over old news. To me, it feels like this thread is all about you trying to sell me something.

So tell me, where should I send my money? :)

longcall911, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  5. Nemanja

Best Answers:
    This is not only about one document, there ara many documents and patents, some of them are from 10+ years, some are form 3 years ago and some of them are from last year, etc...
    They are adding new patents when they come out with smething new, like addons/upgrades or new services, which then make the whole package with the existing patents..., you just need to know how to connect the dots...

Also didn't you read this part of the post:
    "Also I know that these are not fully detailed algorithms, but they can give you very good information how things works and if you read and connect few other Google patents you will have great understanding about things behind closed doors."

I'm not trying to sell anything here, as you can see all my tools (on my site) are for free.

Just to add, I have tried to change the title of the thread to:
    "Google Patents - how they can help you better understand Google's rankings",
    to make you happy, but I can't do it anymore.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    Nemanja, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  6. onetrickaday

onetrickaday Peon

Best Answers:
    very useful information nemanja ....

onetrickaday, Dec 20, 2010 IP
  7. xprtwalk

xprtwalk Peon

Best Answers:
    You have shared a very nice information, I would go throughout your article and will also check all the patents of Google till date as what Google has been patented.

xprtwalk, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  8. megastar64

megastar64 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is famous for the way that they adapt to the " market" .So even if this information worked two years ago , it doesn't have to work today. So knowing all of this and building your site around this information is not a good idea .The best way is to create a site that has good articles, get backlinks and you will see your site grow.

megastar64, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  9. Nemanja

Best Answers:
    If you know just a little bit about programming/database/project managment/etc, then you will know that big companies like google rarely change their core codes/algos/engines, they are adding new stuff and updates to the existing code/engine how you want to call it, but rarely they change the core of the algos, because this will cause colapse and many issues with existing systems/services etc...
    And this is all about it, get to know foundations of the system, new updates/services are just addons to the main system, for example title will always have great impact on ON-Page SEO, but some new update/addon to the algo, like "img alt" or "tags" or what ever will never overtake the page title in terms of relevance/priority.

Nemanja, Dec 21, 2010 IP
    lakelandprinting likes this.
  10. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is a good post. I would not say this is Goggles secret algorythm but it does give some decent information.

Barre Tire, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  11. slmgroup

slmgroup Guest

Best Answers:
    Good Article and This is ONE of the algorithms they use in my opinion.

slmgroup, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  12. Pandadan

Pandadan Active Member

Best Answers:
    i've expected to see something more)
    to expose google algorithm you need to kill someone and create the clone. this is the only way..

Pandadan, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  13. SamFrankly84

SamFrankly84 Member

Best Answers:
    While I wouldn't exactly say that this is "Google's Algorithm Exposed", I do think that these are worth reading.

Why? The simple explanation is that it will dispel a lot of misinformation about how Google works and ultimately help you if you do anything SEO-related.

SamFrankly84, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  14. lakelandprinting

lakelandprinting Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to give Nemanja credit for his lengthy responses on this thread, making it a great debate. Rep added..thanks Nemanja

lakelandprinting, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  15. sikatangpinoy

sikatangpinoy Peon

Best Answers:
    Great Title Bait.

sikatangpinoy, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  16. Tarin

Tarin Peon

Best Answers:
    Everything aside from links, title tags, and anchor text gives me a headache. So I think I'll just rely on those three factors :0

Tarin, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  17. Excel 8

Excel 8 Guest

Best Answers:
    It would a great article for an SEO blog and would benefit good to rank high for Google algorithm...
    Thanks for sharing this I really enjoy reading it!

Excel 8, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  18. deltagci

deltagci Peon

Best Answers:
    Good article mate.

deltagci, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  19. stevemack

stevemack Peon

Best Answers:
    excellent stuff and thanks for putting it here. A lot of read and i got so much information from the links. heart ful thanks for sharing the resource.

stevemack, Dec 21, 2010 IP
  20. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    lol, Copy that.

Oranges, Dec 21, 2010 IP