1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Legal Owner of Website?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by alex288288, Dec 17, 2010.

My wife was part of a non-profit organization, and while part of the organization she created a website for them.
    She was responsible for maintaining the website, and never handed over any files.

Now that she is no longer part of this organization she asked the organiztion if they wanted her to continue maintaining the website for a monthly fee; they turned down this offer, but are now asking for the contents of the website to maintain on their own, and have also asked her to remove our companies Copyright on the website.

She is willing to give them the website, but wants to be paid for it, and is not jsut going to hand over her work without compensation.

Who is entitled to the material? Who does the copyright belong to?

alex288288, Dec 17, 2010 IP
    bogart likes this.
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is going to come down to the conditions under which the site was created, but as you said, it was created for them while she was part of the organization. It sounds like she did the work with the understanding that she wasn't going to be paid, so I'm not sure why you think she should be paid now? Regardless of who ultimately would win a legal dispute, it sounds like a bad PR situation to get into this kind of dispute with a non-profit.

mjewel, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  3. subdivisions

subdivisions Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would belong to the non-profit if she created it for the non-profit free of charge.

subdivisions, Dec 18, 2010 IP
  4. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You said so yourself, she created the work for them while working there. Based on what you are saying, it sounds like she would have no rights to it and looks pretty bad trying to take it back now. Tell her to move on and forget that site.

browntwn, Dec 18, 2010 IP
  5. tushar1

tushar1 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You said so yourself, she created the work for them while working there. Based on what you are saying, it sounds like she would have no rights to it and looks pretty bad trying to take it back now. Tell her to move on and forget that site.
    [copy]

tushar1, Dec 31, 2010 IP
  6. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    While this is true, I'd say that shoe could reasonably be expected to be paid for work done after she severed her relationship with the organization. And transferring files etc can be described as 'work', for which she can charge what she likes. After all, they can't 'force' her to 'work'. Slavery has been abolished. If they are asking her to 'transfer' files, it sounds like she is responsible for the hosting and domain too - if she paid hosting / domain fees, she should receive something for transferring those over too. I'm not a lawyer btw, just big on common sense.

contentboss, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  7. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If she did the website at home or weekends (not on the clock), there could be a case for asking for a footer link back to her design page.

bogart, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  8. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I got the impression it was all volunteer work so I am not sure that matters. Frankly, if I were the company as soon as somebody starts with this type of shit, I would drop the contents and move on. These silly claims of ownership only serve as a waste of time for all involved.

browntwn, Jan 1, 2011 IP
  9. lalasd

lalasd Peon

Best Answers:
    Honestly if for a non profit organization you guys should just give it to them. But if it comes down to leagal issues the sites owner is the domain name owner however you do not have to give the files to them as long as the files were not stolen domain hacked and other stuff like that.

lalasd, Jan 2, 2011 IP
  10. templbi

templbi Peon

Best Answers:
    For a non profit I would give it to them and move on. Learn from your experience, what your doing seems to be like a jealous girlfriend mad after you left/fired.

templbi, Jan 3, 2011 IP