1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How long does it take to get approval for listing in DMOZ ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by atulchaudhary, Nov 29, 2010.

Can anyone give an idea of time it takes to get your website listed in DMOZ. I submitted my website properly in the right category in DMOZ but haven't got any approval notification from them.

Atul

Last edited: Nov 29, 2010
    atulchaudhary, Nov 29, 2010 IP
  2. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  3. parting

parting Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I can't submit list to DMOZ, I don't know why、

parting, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  4. meetali

meetali Active Member

Best Answers:
    It will take more time - may be month or year also

meetali, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  5. NewWebMaster

NewWebMaster Peon

Best Answers:
    i submitted my blog 3 month ago to dmoz , and it seems they don't accept it , anyway you should still wait ...

NewWebMaster, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  6. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No body does, they do not think that people that make suggestions are important enough for such things.

Qryztufre, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  7. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Well, if you don't know why then how should we know why not.

Did you try at least or you just don't know why you can't do that?

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 3, 2010 IP
  8. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    If you read around this section of the forum or just stop and read the sticky you will see that it can take from a few days to a few years to get a review for a possible listing. If you do that reading you will also find out why that is so.

Anonymously, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  9. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for promoting discussion on a forum! Your answer was informational! Well, about as informational as "please search"...so you could have saved yourself some time.

However, your answer was also wrong.

If they look around at the discussions here on DP they will find that a) no one can agree on either of your points, and b) the sticky does NOT give the full story so should not be pointed too, as its misleading.

Qryztufre, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  10. Satyendra Kumar Singh

Satyendra Kumar Singh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Its take time 6 month to a year

Satyendra Kumar Singh, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  11. gurujee

gurujee Peon

Best Answers:
    Well,It would be difficult to have listing on DMOZ.But can anyone tell that what is their basic criteria to submit the site in free listing.

gurujee, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  12. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    QUOTE=Satyendra Kumar Singh;15451677]Its take time 6 month to a year[/QUOTE]

Read the sticky again

#gurujee
    http://www.dmoz.org/docs/en/add.html

Anonymously, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  13. dynamicseoservices

dynamicseoservices Peon

Best Answers:
    Dmoz is a human edited directory, therefore owing to the amount of requests they receive, can mean a long wait I'm afraid.:(

I have known people get accepted in 1 week and some have taken 1 year+, think depending on the category you are submitting to may also have an influence on the time frame you have to wait also.

dynamicseoservices, Dec 15, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  14. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

Looking at the current condition of ODP, I can say no site will be listed forever. DMOZ is totally passive since August 2010.
    Please help me to find a category that is updated after August 2010.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  15. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    DMOZ 2.0 software is still being introduced and it's currently showing incorrect dates at the bottom of the public pages. I don't see how any outsider could help you to find a recently updated category.

I can tell you that thousands of editors are still working. I've certainly done a few thousand edits since August, mostly in NZ but I also processed 50 listing suggestions within the spammy UK/Property this morning.

Ah well, back to Christchurch :).

jimnoble, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  16. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    As I haven't seen the above said 2 category before you posted here, so it makes no sense.

But I am browsing Computer Software & India Regional categories(including News/... & Colleges/...) for several month and getting no update.

Keeping outdated DMOZ will make no sense, instead of loosing the value of it's origin.

Though ODP says DMOZ is not for SEO, practically it's outdated update is helping the SEO only none else.

Just ask yourself, A person want to look for a newspaper from India. What he will do? Will he come to ODP? Let him come. But what he will get? Aren't those which were listed 2/3 years before? Then?? Where is the value of DMOZ as genuine information?

I bet, let AOL make the "no-follow" in the urls, only few people(including me) will be interested in ODP.

17. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    No one need to help me when a category stopped updating. I was a regular site submitter in my regional category. But from last year, updates are stopped. I am wel awared what is going behind it.

Now do not tell that Government, Newspapers, Colleges & University websites also do not meet ODP criteria of get listed.

18. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This has already been explained to you over at RZ, but I'll repeat it here - yet again.

You might have misunderstood our objectives and how we operate here. ODP is a volunteer organisation building a directory as a hobby. Editors edit where they wish, when they wish and as much as they wish within the constraints of their permissions. We have no schedules or systems to force people to do work that they don't volunteer to do. ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners and it does not attempt to process their listing suggestions within the time scales desired by them.

We are happy to join new editors with the following attributes.
    - Integrity
    - Adequate communication skills in the language of the requested category
    - An understanding of the requested category

jimnoble, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  19. DhrubaJyotiDeka

Best Answers:
    Again no offence, Jim. I will always have honor for ODP.

It is not a proper manner to say "ODP is not primarily a free listing service for website owners" because whatever sites I suggested(and they were listed too) since 2006/2007 were not asked to me by anybody, I did it by my own hobby as suggesting.

Again you are neglecting the prime issue. Just imagine, if a category is not updated after 2007(I am well aware about few categories as not updated since 2007) when an Editor logs in, what he/she sees? Thousands of pending.....

Will it be possible? No never.

I applied as hobby. But I have been blamed by somebody(I do not know till now who rejects the applications) that in one application I wrote about money profit. That was really horrible blame. I mentioned all the things in RZ, but I was stopped by you to not to carry any issue on my said category.

What wrong I did by asking for not being updated? Was that a crime? I live in a small state, few sites get lunched in a month. And I was happily suggesting few of the sites in DMOZ since 2007. No one paid me for that, in fact I did not know that people may get paid for it too. :) But I was blamed that I did for financial benefit.

What one will learn from it???

Why can not one ask to update his/her native place's ODP category to keep updated?

Till no offence, wishes for DMOZ.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2010
  20. coolspot

coolspot Member

Best Answers:
    i have submitted twice in 2 years - still no listing.....

coolspot, Dec 16, 2010 IP