1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

IS DMOZ Dead?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by noahqw, Nov 24, 2010.

Is it just me or has DMOZ slowly stopped excepting submissions and now lately haven't excepting at all? Are they just all together done?

noahqw, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  2. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe for all intents and purposes DMOZ is dead. Getting listed is almost impossible, most of the categories do not have voluteers to edit them as they make it too difficult to become an editor and the editors that are there do not respond to emails for whatever reason.

While I would like a listing in DMOZ I am no longer interested in whether or not it happens. If DMOZ does not care about us webmasters & designers we should not care about DMOZ.

Going Green, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  3. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's true that most categories don't have named editors. However, higher level category editors can also edit their child categories and there are some 200 odd editors who can edit anywhere they wish - and they do. For example, I'm working my way though North Island NZ at the moment. Why? Because it's interesting.

We decline people who are self serving, tell lies, can't communicate or have no clue what the category they've requested is about. Wouldn't you? Those that show some promise are encouraged to try again. Treat an editor application honestly and as seriously as you would a job application - because that's what it is.

Editors have learned from bitter experience that getting into conversations with website promoters all too often results in arguments or worse. There have even been threats of physical harm and real life stalking incidents. That's why we discourage editors from replying.

Two bottom lines:
    - Editors are hobbyists working towards ODP's objectives.
    - SEO and 'push' website promotion are the antithesis of what we're about.

jimnoble, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  4. Going Green

Going Green Active Member

Best Answers:
    A directory that is supposed to be Open to All with 100's of category pages and only 200 editors. That sounds strange indeed.

Let's be honest. DMOZ is no longer an Open Directory.

Going Green, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  5. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That is seemingly true...

DMOZ was founded on being self serving, and nothing has changed. Why would you even imply that it has when there are still thousands upon thousands of self serving links to the people that started the directory? In fact, if if you remove most of the major brands and edu sites and look at the remaining sites with multiple links, you should find that MOST of them are owned by editors. Strange? Not really, unless one believes they are not self serving.

Qryztufre, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  6. Badlands07

Badlands07 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Jim, I understand where you are coming from, but let's be honest here. If the DMOZ did not pass any link juice most of your submissions would dry up and only those that did not know any better would keep submitting. So, the only real reason the directory still exists is because it has value to the SEO community, not because people really use it to find things (maybe only a very small percentage).

So, while it may be a hobby to you, it can mean real dollars to those websites that get listed. Without a fair and transparent system it makes it really hard to not be frustrated with how the directory is run. The only reason we care about you and the directory is because Google cares, if Google quit caring I promise you you would have nothing to complain about very quickly as no one would continue to care.

Just my 2 cents, not intended to attack you as I respect what you are doing, just do not like the process in general.

Badlands07, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  7. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    Google (Matt Cutts) says that an ODP link is just a link with no particular significance.

In some spammy competitive categories, that would be a bonus :). You might not be aware of this but we reckon that around half of our listings have never been suggested. When I'm creating a new locality category or growing an under populated one, I go out and find new listings for myself.

jimnoble, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  8. FavouritesBlog

FavouritesBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    So many submissions and not enough staff or money to verify them all.

FavouritesBlog, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  9. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is a hobby for all editors, none of us get paid. We just love collecting links with unique content for other surfers who want to use categorised media to do that. We have a few paid staff who keep the machines running. Most of the tools we use are edited created with no money reward for the creator. So if you think we need more editots and we always do, then press that magic button on most pages "Apply to edit this category" and see if you can pass the entrance exam!

Just to remind you that its openness was always about allowing people to use our material. with correct attribution, it was NEVER about allowing anything other than unique content, editor reviewed sites to be listed and the reason for the directory was not for webmasters to get a listing but to provide searching facilities for end users. If you also read Jim's post carefully you will see that he said we have higher level category editors who can edit in those without a named editor AND 200 who can edit anywhere. There is NO category without hundreds of people who can edit there. Now also keep in mind that these are volunteers and editors can edit anywhere they choose, within the limits given by DMOZ, so no one can predict who will edit where and when. You may not like that but it has not changed since the project was launched.

Anonymously, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  10. Lex350

Lex350 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It's dead or dieing and I'm glad. Good riddance.

Lex350, Nov 30, 2010 IP
    helleborine likes this.
  11. adferger1

adferger1 Active Member

Best Answers:
    The short answer:
    YES!

It doesnt take much time to submit a link to DMoZ. So I suggest you do it anyway. But dont get your hopes up. It might take over a year, if it does get added at all...

adferger1, Nov 30, 2010 IP
  12. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Sadly there is no 'short answer' to that question, as people have been asking it for years now and the place is still up and running.

It is my hope that once they complete their 2.0 they will get new life, new rules, and hopefully new editors... that is their only hope, as if it does continue down its current path, then it will die... but that could still take years.

Qryztufre, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  13. ngonnella

ngonnella Peon

Best Answers:
    I gave up on DMOZ along time ago. I still submit my sites to them but I no longer care if they get accepted or not. A link is just a link after all.

ngonnella, Dec 1, 2010 IP
  14. szsjq

szsjq Member

Best Answers:
    I think most people submitting websites to DMOZ is just for SEO purpose.

szsjq, Dec 2, 2010 IP
  15. Smith34

Smith34 Peon

Best Answers:
    May be because DMOZ is not accepting any new editor approval request.

Smith34, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  16. jimnoble

Best Answers:
    That's incorrect. I and other metas and catmods are joining new editors.

jimnoble, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  17. hypokill

hypokill Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There's no point complaining. If your submission is not accepted then that's that. If it was any other directory would you really care? I don't believe it's dead, though i don't believe it's well used. I hope there is a future for DMOZ. Though like Qryztufre said, they need to start moving with the time's.

hypokill, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  18. Allthebest

Allthebest Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ are tacking time to list your site. Some time it take so long time to list your site.
    it is depend upon quality and popularity of your site.

Allthebest, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  19. Mohie

Mohie Peon

Best Answers:
    I really dont give a sh*t about DMOZ :)

Mohie, Dec 9, 2010 IP
    snakeair, Qryztufre and helleborine like this.
  20. longip

longip Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think is dead but already berried. And this is the way it should be.

longip, Dec 12, 2010 IP
    helleborine likes this.