1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What would be the best free CMS for a music review website?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Monkey Overlord, Nov 26, 2010.

Hi guys, I will be starting my own music review website soon and was wondering if some of you with experience of the various free CMSs could tell me which would be best for this purpose?

Basically I want the design to be as flexible as possible, and to be able to display lists of recent reviews, news etc. on different parts of the page.

Layout-wise it will probably look a little something like the following sites:

http://www.pitchfork.com
    http://www.thisisfakediy.co.uk

Once the site gains some popularity, I also want to be able to integrate a database of registered users who can post comments on articles and use the same account in a message board.

I must emphasise that this needs to be free - my limited knowledge of this stuff tells me that is possible, but I don't know where to start looking!

Thanks in advance guys. :cool:

Monkey Overlord, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  2. shavic

shavic Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Joomla or Drupal must be a good option for you. But Joomla has a wide range of free modules/plugins that will help to fulfill your needs without any cost.

shavic, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  3. Monkey Overlord

Monkey Overlord Peon

Best Answers:
    Thankyou very much for your reply Shavic. I have heard a lot about Joomla, but is it easy to integrate into your own page design? Or would I have to follow one of Joomla's own templates?

I've also heard a lot of good things about Wordpress, and noticed that a lot of very big websites (CNN, Yahoo and others) use it for their website. Would it be easy enough to integrate that into my own page?

I would really appreciate any advice anyone can give me.

Monkey Overlord, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  4. armando

armando Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would say WOrdpress. A lot of themes, plugins to use and a good SEO options :)

armando, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  5. mahesh2010

mahesh2010 Guest

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    You can try out with Joomla

mahesh2010, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  6. blade007

blade007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks like a bit of customised WordPress job.

Have a look in ThemeForest and find one that looks similar, then contact the author to see if they can increase the customisation to make it do the extra things you need.

blade007, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  7. Just A Wag

Just A Wag Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty much any cms could handle this - e107, drupal, joomla etc etc - basically this kind of site is exactly what a cms is best at ;)

Just A Wag, Dec 8, 2010 IP