1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

DMOZ is hilarious!

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by woolabee, Dec 4, 2010.

Everybody is trying to get there website listed there, myself included. I wonder how many of us have useful content sites and have submitted to them multiple times without any luck?

The funny part about this directory is that when you look a lot of the sites there, they are complete junk. I am talking, cheesy outdated graphics, articles that no longer pertain to anything internet wise and completely abandoned websites that have not had anything new added to them in 5 years.

And yet they are supposed to be the directory that everyone looks up to, especially Google.

I'll tell you what, if you know of anyone that reviews sites for them, than you should let them know, it's time to clean out that old garbage directory and lighten up a little bit.

woolabee, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  2. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Hmmmm.... I wonder why? Let me guess.

Oh, I know, you're trying to submit your Penis enlargement site to Inflatable Toys Category.

Are you wondering, why I Am saying that?
    Well clown, if you close this thread and then look above it, you'll see DMOZ forum
    where you should of started DMOZ related topic in a first place.

So, next time DMOZ rejects your submission, take a wild guess why.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 4, 2010 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Multiple times? Thats against the guidelines...

Most of those were added 5 years ago when they were current...

More and more people are looking at other things now... even google. Google removed their suggestion to submit to them, and they sometimes go a year before updating their ODP clone.

I've been telling them that for years... sometimes they listen, sometimes they do not...

but it still stands that you have submitted multiple times and now are complaining that they won't add you *shrug* Ever wonder if there is a connection there?

Qryztufre, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  4. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That would be me :)

I've spent all day reviewing suggested websites and dysfunctional ones delisted by our robots in an area of New Zealand. I guess I should change my priorities and concentrate instead on culling the ugly listed ones.

I doubt if you'll want me to do that if you think about it - and it would be against our guidelines to do so anyway. We value information content, not style.

I'm not sure why all listed websites should have articles pertaining to the internet or be added to frequently. A website covering Henry VIII's childhood for example isn't going tp go obsolete any time soon :).

jimnoble, Dec 7, 2010 IP
    snakeair likes this.
  5. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No I do not. I have never submitted sites in DMOZ that are designed/developed by me, excluding 1 News Portal.

Reasons:

1] Many of the sites owner did not think DMOZ listing helps them anyway. Even I too do not think of it.

2] Pagerank??? What you will do with your high pagerank if you can not reach your potential customers?

3] I developed a site for my uncle who resides in Missouri, USA. When I asked whether he wants DMOZ listing, he answered: DMOZ, what is it? If you search his name in Google, you will get that he really does not need DMOZ listed.

Many more issues are like this.

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Dec 16, 2010 IP
  6. woolabee

woolabee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hmm, you sound like an angry person fast replies.:mad:

First off, I did click on Dmoz or at least I thought that I did, before I started my post.

Second, I do not have a penis enlargement site, that's not my thing. I own a business site. But, what does it really matter what kind of sites I own?

Im really wondering what bearing that has on the post I made.

Third, when you respond so nasty to people, why would anyone ever want to click on your links, to see what your all about?

It was simply an observation that I wanted to get people talking about.

I wanted to hear others opinions and possibly share their experiences with mine. but at the same time I was making a statement about how frustrating the directory is, at least to me.

Is that o.k. with you FastReplies?

I am pretty sure that I have a valid point here.

It took me about 30 seconds to find a site that has not been updated since 2001 and only contains about 5 articles. It is hosted on Tripod which if remember is free hosting. As soon as I went to the website, there was a popup for me to get a screensaver.

I look at the "great informative content" to find that there are only 5 articles, than when I visit another page of the website it says to be updated soon with a date of 2001.

The site is http://intobiz.tripod.com/e_book.htm
    and it is listed in Dmoz under business/opportunities/home based

I am just making a point my friend, so relax.

woolabee, Dec 17, 2010 IP
  7. DhrubaJyotiDeka

DhrubaJyotiDeka Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    ODP says: No affiliated links in suggest sites.

But in real: More than 25% of such, as you have given example, are having affiliated links and banner for long years.:D

DhrubaJyotiDeka, Dec 18, 2010 IP
  8. seogawd

seogawd Active Member

Best Answers:

Fastreplies must be another one of them there dmoz editorializn geniuses... lol, you guys are something else! Don't waste your time on DMOZ Woolabee, you'd be better off spending your time joining "web rings",,, but don't do that either.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    seogawd, Dec 18, 2010 IP
  9. bigove73

bigove73 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For the record, dmoz is a joke just like fast replies so don't sweat it to much.

bigove73, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  10. SeabirdScripts.com

SeabirdScripts.com Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is a good website, however, they tend to have a lot of volunteers that are very inactive or hardly active as well. The website and concept are great, however with the lack of response and communication is frustrating for the web developer community. I have had sites that were top notch and information packed that couldn't be approved for a very very specific niche category after months of waiting, as well as small cheap websites that get approved for a larger category in 3-4 days. Your experience may vary based on the category / sub category.

SeabirdScripts.com, Dec 19, 2010 IP
    bluehat09 likes this.
  11. Oranges

Oranges Active Member

Best Answers:
    Dmoz still exist? LMAO, who cares anyway!

Oranges, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  12. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    i have 4-5 website on dmoz, and i never know why and how they approved lol

Master Directory, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  13. bluehat09

bluehat09 Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is a human edited directory. I really don't get it why everybody say the same thing:
    DMOZ:
    1. have outdated links and websites, even death links!
    2. websites not get approved for months or years
    3. reject the good sites (without warning) and in the same category there are old and not relevant websites
    4. have no respect for submitters, no communication with any webmaster
    5. don't send any email if your site was approved or not
    6. looks like the secret and closed club of templars

and the list can continue...

Still webmasters try to submit and hope than one day, a human, a smart one, will approve their website. Why?
    Because:
    1. DMOZ is the oldest directory in the web.
    2. With all its sins, it's used by Google to rank websites in their SERP
    3. It's used by many "spam" directories and that means backlins for you
    4. It's free and have a good rank itself. One listing in DMOZ means more traffic (not necessary quality but more traffic anyway)

and the list can continue...

Now, go to the point: Forget DMOZ! Concentrate on your content, on quality information and up to date information. Optimize your website to be SE friendly and you will get exactly same thing. But what a work?

It's easier to complain about DMOZ and do nothing?
    I know this kind of webmaster. He build a website from copy/pasting the words from other websites or use other websites RSS, posting some content from cheap writers and they want a recognition for that?

My friends, work first and ask for recognition after. It will come. The time will prove it! :)

PS: I have 2 websites on DMOZ and wait for couple of years on other 2. :cool:

bluehat09, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  14. FreeProxy

FreeProxy Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ is less relevant. I have had sites accepted and did not see any noticeable traffic or SEO effect.

FreeProxy, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    If you made mistake, you had 8 hours to delete your thread from Directories Forum
    and to start another one in DMOZ instead. So don't be surprised if people see you
    as some incompetent bozo or troll and react on these impulses.

LOL, that was good one. [​IMG]

I'm sure Jim is laughing so hard that he is peeing in his pants.

;)

fastreplies

Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
    fastreplies, Dec 19, 2010 IP
  16. woolabee

woolabee Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Am I really a Bozo, or could it be you that is the real Bozo?

People make mistakes, I clicked on the wrong link. I guess you do not make mistakes Fastreplies.

Hear that everyone Fastreplies is perfect! Haaa Haaa

woolabee, Dec 20, 2010 IP
    CReed likes this.
  17. NeVerTrYFoRME

NeVerTrYFoRME Peon

Best Answers:

I see you have so anger. Why you were removed from dmoz editorship?

NeVerTrYFoRME, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  18. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He never was an editor, but Amray fought many a battle with DMOZ, but that is another story.

Anonymously, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  19. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    If this [​IMG] is looking angry to you,
    then what about that [​IMG] ?

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Dec 22, 2010 IP
  20. Talen

Talen Peon

Best Answers:
    DMOZ doesn't even value information content anymore...the directory is littered with thousands of affiliate websites created by DMOZ editors. The majority of it's sites have outdated useless information...thousands of examples can be found in each section of the directory.

Talen, Dec 22, 2010 IP