1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

creating your own cms?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by emforce, Dec 6, 2010.

Hi guys I was just wondering how I would go about creating my own cms? like what should I start learning?

I would idealy like to create a cms that is like wordpress but has my own features/layout.

I want to use this for a game website that I have and I want it to be a bit like ign.com :)

I know that this is a big task but any help would be great :)

emforce, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  2. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    Dude Unless your a coder you cannot make cms in some weeks, well I would even say months.
    You need to have ideas of what you want plan everything on a paper, make a scrap design and then after u design what you need you start coding.

I am no coder myself but a designer and I can tell you the problems I faced when designing my custom video embedding cms
    It took me like 2 weeks to find the design idea, design the pages and the whole admin panel, wasn't piece of cake. Then I had to submit to coder who even REALLY experienced worked on it for like 2-3 weeks...

So, in my opinion, if you don;t know how to design and code or both or you know one of them, you should plan your idea and give it to some coder/designer or both :)

Cheers.

SabTech, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  3. emforce

emforce Member

Best Answers:
    I know its not going to be an easy task. I have programmed games etc before but I was just wondering if anyone else had gone down this route before and if they did what languages did they use and what books do they recommend? :)

emforce, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  4. BlogSetupLab

BlogSetupLab Peon

Best Answers:
    What web languages do you know? Usually best to start with something you already have some experience in.

BlogSetupLab, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  5. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    Man to start a cms you should know how to design, slice, html coding, css, php, js, ajax and maybe flash...
    You can;t learn all these in some weeks, it takes YEARS!

Well, try w3schools.com for online html/css/ etc but man if you don't practice you won't know

Cheers.

SabTech, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  6. emforce

emforce Member

Best Answers:
    I have done a couple of sites for some small companies in html and css so I can say I am fairly proficient. But I will look into php and Js! :)

Thanks!

emforce, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  7. Greg Carnegie

Greg Carnegie Peon

Best Answers:
    You said you programmed some games before? If so then for browser game you will need to learn some backend programming language (PHP, Python, Ruby or ASP) and probably JS.

For web design i would hire some professional designer to do it for you, still you probably won't be able to create the game in less then few months, but if you are already a programmer then not all is lost :p

Greg Carnegie, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  8. emforce

emforce Member

Best Answers:
    eh... its a content management system that I am looking to build, not a browser game. But thanks for your input none the less.

emforce, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  9. BlogSetupLab

BlogSetupLab Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd start with PHP and MySQL to learn with - you'll find there's a huge amount of help online for these and they're fairly easy to pick up for a beginner but powerful enough to do anything you want.

BlogSetupLab, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  10. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    I want to make my own CMS for AdPatron, maybe we can work together. I've been coding since 1994 starting with Perl, but starting using PHP since v3.

JoesMillion, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  11. BlogSetupLab

BlogSetupLab Peon

Best Answers:
    Have you thought about using an off the shelf CMS like Wordpress, Joomla or Drupal and then adding custom coding/plugins/modules on top to get what you want?

That saves you having to re-invent the wheel and write the whole thing from the ground up.

BlogSetupLab, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  12. Paul Weston

Paul Weston Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi,

If you want to create a CMS just to build your one game website, it doesn't make sense. It's like building a bakery to bake one cake. Better just to focus on building your game website - much quicker and much easier. For one person to build a CMS to rival Wordpress or similar could take years (literally).

Before building your bakery, find out if anyone else would buy your cakes (there are lots of them around). If so, find at least one other like-minded person to work with you, and build it.

Paul

Paul Weston, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  13. Matty Asia

Matty Asia Peon

Best Answers:
    Building a CMS, I remember when I built mine in 2006, it was pretty good for my skill at the time. Looking at it now... the original code scares me.
    My CMS has been growing gradually over the last 4 years and encountered 2 or 3 total rewrites for more simplicity and flexibility.
    What I have now I love, it's not a CMS for someone new to doing websites - well it could be, but not as much power.
    It's a coders' CMS for sure.

The point is if you don't know PHP or any other such languages, this will take you quite some time to learn. Infact, in doing such a task you could learn quite a lot.
    This is not something you're going to be able to learn and build fast, unless you're a mini-genious.

You'll be trying to separate appearance from data and control MVC I think it was called in the books, have a look at that and read some good books on PHP, MySQL, JavaScript and JQuery (JQuery might not really need a book).

Good luck!

Matty Asia, Dec 8, 2010 IP
  14. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree, it's how I learned. Feel lucky too, there weren't many books or any websites at all in 1994 when I got started. Learning should be lot faster these days.

JoesMillion, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  15. SabTech

SabTech Member

Best Answers:
    and anytime u need a designer you can contact me LOL :D

SabTech, Dec 9, 2010 IP
  16. siteguy85

siteguy85 Peon

Best Answers:
    exactly, you're better off customizing something using plugins...

siteguy85, Dec 14, 2010 IP
  17. sanyi007

sanyi007 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is not just about reinventing the wheel etc. It is fun to code your own cms, but hey: those popular cms-s are used by hundreds/thousands of people - they find the most bugs and security holes in those systems. While if you code the site yourself, all the little/big errors and security problems will pop up for your site, but maybe that will be too late - your site will be hacked, crashed, etc. It is better to use what is already proved that it is useful,usable, ready for action: wordpress, drupal, joomla, modx, cmsmadesimple etc.

sanyi007, Dec 15, 2010 IP
  18. websitedesigningindia

websitedesigningindia Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I don't think that creating your own cms is an easy task.

websitedesigningindia, Dec 17, 2010 IP