1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How many of you believe that 100 words article is enough for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by mirisaamali, Dec 5, 2010.

Hi All,

I have been receiving increased number of requests for writing 100 word articles lately. I was wondering why are people going for 100 word articles although i have been hearing that article should not be less than 250 words ideally?

How many of you believe that 100 words article is enough for SEO and why?

Do any of you have proof to backup that 100 words article also perform awesome as far as SEO is concerned?

mirisaamali, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  2. jdr8271

jdr8271 Member

Best Answers:
    100 words is enough...why would it need to be longer?

jdr8271, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  3. sam90

sam90 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have written short posts for my blog that are less than 200 words and rank high. I would think it has more to do with keyword competition. If you are trying to rank for "online income", a 100 word article might not cut it. But, if you are trying to rank for "Pink Christmas Tree", 100 words might be enough.

sam90, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  4. alexanime

alexanime Peon

Best Answers:
    i thing that it is ok

alexanime, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  5. moneyideas

moneyideas Member

Best Answers:
    I suspect what they lose in SEO they gain in clicks.
    If an article is "too" useful for the reader there is then less incentive to click the related ad content.
    Therefore they want articles that will wet the readers appetite without going too in depth and answering all of the readers questions.

moneyideas, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  6. mirisaamali

mirisaamali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, i had that similar experience too. But still, how many have experienced this?

mirisaamali, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  7. Brad Callen

Brad Callen Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends.

If you have a 100 word ground breaking article, then sure, you'll get a lot of natural links. Pages with tools, link bait, videos all rank well just because of the back link's pointing to the page. If you are specifically asking about a new site, a new site without a big following or rankings, then giving the search engines something to sink their teeth into is a good idea.

Brad Callen, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  8. nexy

nexy Peon

Best Answers:
    ya..i believe 100 words article is ok for SEO.. if it has best keyword density/..

nexy, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  9. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    100 words is on the short side for several reasons:

- You cannot use many times your keywords, because it will look as keyword stuffing - in a larger text you can use more long-tail keywords and even repeat the same keywords more often without the search engines taking notice.

- A 100-word article will not have sufficient "meat" to interest readers, unless it is short news. And content is still king. It may be used however to provide a link to a more in-depth article. But then, it must be very intriguing.

- A 100-word text is not sufficient to recognize accurately the language of the text. In my post How search engines recognize language I pointed out that probabilistic methods need between 400 and 600 characters to be effective, and 100 words is probably below that threshold. (DON'T think that the search engines assume your article is in English!)

Overall, I rarely publish any articles below 200-250 words.

SEOTranslator, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  10. dmvictoria

dmvictoria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    250 is the absolute minimum imo. I generally write my articles 600 - 2000 words depending on the subject. All that content pays off in the long run especially with long tailed keywords. 100 word article, *scratching head, and they'll pay for it? It could easily bang off a 100 word article in a minute or 2 on just about any subject since it would be impossible to go into any kind of detail. How much are they offering to pay? $1-$2?

dmvictoria, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  11. phoenix_blogger

phoenix_blogger Member

Best Answers:
    i guess its ok if you use a relevant pic also

phoenix_blogger, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  12. Codd

Codd Member

Best Answers:
    They don't have any problem if the article needs only 100 words to describe the content.

Codd, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  13. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have experience with this and say 100 is not enough, 200 minimum.

I religiously follow the tried and true formula from Brett Tabke "Successful Site in 12 Months with Google Alone".

There are a bunch of factors to consider when doing proper SEO and the 26 Brett points out will make a winning site for any keyword target but it will take some time that's for sure since your foundation should be 100 articles of 200-500 words at launch! I have my client's soccer blog following the strategy at http://www.goalden.com, and organic search results are around 80% of the visitors so it's working well. I'm slowly implementing the strategy coaching my clients along the way and so far they have 244 blog posts.

Good luck out there guys! Virgil!

ArchAxis, Dec 5, 2010 IP
    dmvictoria likes this.
  14. Anna Cheung

Anna Cheung Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Based on my experience, if you want to get good SEO effect with a 100-word article, the writing is really demanding, as you need to have enough keywords in such a short article and to have them naturally. Maybe 250 can make life much easier for you.

Anna Cheung, Dec 5, 2010 IP
  15. dmvictoria

dmvictoria Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @ArchAxis

Thats a great read, full of great fundamentals. However its a bit out of date and could use an update, especially with the advent of social networking.

dmvictoria, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  16. GrowBank

GrowBank Peon

Best Answers:
    I think a 100 word article is a short blog post at best. Yes it could still have the backlinks of a 400+ word, but the content will not drive the traffic as much. I feel articles over 300-500 words are much stronger in gaining traffic through article marketing and will result in more traffic to your site or better link bait usage. How hard is 300 words?? C'mon.

GrowBank, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  17. octavyo

octavyo Peon

Best Answers:
    it all depends on your competition. I have 3 years of seo experience and I have seen sites that dominate the first positions in google using only 2-3 articles and sites that have more than 500 and still rank very low. It all depends on your competition to be more exactly on how many competitors your keywords have.

octavyo, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  18. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @octavyo

Competition is one thing but the only way a 2-3 article sites is out ranking a site with more content is because the 2-3 article site has more relevant backlinks and the content of the lower ranked site has poorly written \ optomized content. One way backlinks are more important though, look at Wikipedia and how it almost always ranks number one for popular topics, this is because everyone links to it.

ArchAxis, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  19. ansmythe24

ansmythe24 Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't have much experience with 100 word articles as of yet but I am getting ready to do a test on a new site and use articles that are 100 to 150 words each.

On most of my sites I use 400 + word articles and that is so that I can be more detailed and also add long tail keywords into the articles.

ansmythe24, Dec 6, 2010 IP
  20. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on the niche in question (type of the site, nature of the article), but a 100 word article can be enough simply because you don't just depend on an article for SEO purposes.

We have top SERPs and the content pages are only 80 - 150 words. Works perfectly well for me.

I always believe in power of short, to the point, informative, engaging content that provides the visitors with the info they are seeking. Give me a long article and i hit the back button faster than the page loads.

Always remember that search engines want you to create content that your visitors love. Focus on quality, your users, and don't worry too much about the length.

hhsaus, Dec 6, 2010 IP