1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Monetizing an open proxy with 100,000+ impressions per day.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by superdav42, Nov 12, 2010.

The title is not misleading. I have an open proxy that has a lot of traffic going through it.
    I am at a loss as how to make money with it as I will explain. I will explain the details of how to actually set one up with anybody that can help me monetize it.

This is way different than a web proxy such as glype or phpproxy. It is an HTTP proxy that runs on port 8080 that users can configure their browser to use then they get 100% unrestricted access to the internet with full compatibility with every site.

You can see how to use my proxy at unblock4myspace.com

When I first setup the proxy I added it to xroxy and setup adbrite ads on it. It worked great for 3 or 4 days. I made about $10 and I was think i'd soon be rich, I got an email from adbrite saying my account was banned because of fraudulent activity or something like that. Well I can't really blame them. Their stats showed I had thousands of impressions and only a few unique visitors. This is because all traffic that goes through the proxy appears to be coming from the same IP. So There's my problem.

So I thought, I'll just try another network. I've tried about 5 and more I can't remember that didn't even accept me. Clicksor, advertising365, bidvertiser, infolinks and now adversal. Adversal's my latest experiment. This time I'm being proactive and emailed them that I'm using an open proxy so most of my traffic will appear from the same IP. They responded basically by saying that open proxies are not allowed, so it's just a matter of time before they cancel my account.

So I'm in desperate need of a PPC or CPM network that will allow many impressions per IP and for ads to be displayed on any site not just ones I claim to own.

I'm not sure one will exist. So I'm thinking that affiliate networks such as clickbank might work but it seems to involve lots of manual work.

Suggestions please.

superdav42, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  2. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Why not you put PPI such as Zangocash?

Or you can try pay per pop up?

mentos, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  3. MartinPrestovic

MartinPrestovic Peon

Best Answers:
    You could possibly try Commission Junction. Find affiliates which match your niche which I would suspect is MySpace based on the domain name your using. So I would browse MySpace and see what products and services are being promoted, then try to find affiliates in CJ which match.

Obviously it would take longer to set up than just using a PPC network, but what have you got to lose? At the moment your ad space is being wasted.

MartinPrestovic, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  4. QualityProducts

QualityProducts Peon

Best Answers:
    Try proxify, they got nice affiliate program, you can also add it to proxydirectory.com and proxy.org

QualityProducts, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  5. superdav42

superdav42 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately for commission junction and other affiliate networks there really is no single niche I can target will my traffic. It comes from all over the world and they visit all kinds of sites. Although it will take a while CJ or clickbank may be the only way to go.

What I'm thinking of doing is rewriting keywords on proxified pages as links to the affiliate in hopes of getting sales. I did this already with one link for some world of warcraft guide and set it up so any text containing "world of warcraft" was then changed into a hyperlink pointing to my affiliate link. It would take countless hours to do this manually for every all the possible keywords and links. But if there was a way to generate a list of keywords and links for all the affiliates on clickbank I think I would have it made but there does not seem to be a way to do that.

superdav42, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  6. MartinPrestovic

MartinPrestovic Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats quite a clever idea and yes I can see the problem with regards to generating the lists. I haven`t used CB in a while but one thing I do remember which could help you speed up the process is to find some products which give you keyword suggestions for PPC campaigns. For example this FarmVille strategy guide has a bunch about a third of the way down the page: http://www.fvsecrets.com/affiliates/

Another option would be to outsource the work via oDesk. Hire someone for a dollar an hour to go through the marketplace and build the lists for you.

MartinPrestovic, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  7. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sell the ad spots directly to some big ad companies or sell them directly to some big players like IGN or EA .

ApocalypseXL, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  8. superdav42

superdav42 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I found Clickbank lets you setup hop feeds which is just like a banner ad with ads for top sellers from the market place. So far I have 1854 hops and 2 order form impressions. So far I've made no real money with this entire venture. Anyone know how many hops to expect before I get an order?

superdav42, Nov 27, 2010 IP
  9. Dolan

Dolan Peon

Best Answers:
    Try and see if there are any affiliate programs with VNC providers or private proxy providers if not maybe try secure internet browsing like a cookie clearer.

Dolan, Nov 28, 2010 IP
  10. superdav42

superdav42 Active Member

Best Answers:
    So it turns out all my traffic was from bots and spammers trying to hide behind the proxy. Once I set it up so they had to type in a password that was given to them in the login box traffic went down to basically nothing. It was a nice idea but alas I think it's no more effective than any other kind of proxy and would be just as hard to promote.

superdav42, Jan 12, 2011 IP