1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Online Multiplayer game

Discussion in 'Programming' started by revolverbloom, Nov 24, 2010.

Hello everyone,

I have started work on a project involving a MMO card game, I have no idea where to start to develop the game and was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction, in learning the development fundamentals for an online multiplayer game!

There is also the possibility in integrating the game with facebook, any suggestions would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks in advance! :)
    RB

revolverbloom, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  2. Dolan

Dolan Peon

Best Answers:
    A web based browser one would probably be made in PHP and MYSQL like for example Torncity.com this uses PHP to power the game and MYSQL to store the game information and account details of the players. If you are going for Facebook like Farmville and Texas Hold Em then they use a different language most likely java. I suppose it depends on what programming languages you know already, making an MMO is no simple task and could take you months if not years to finish a full game, whereas if you have the money it might be sensible to pay someone else to do it that could have it done in less than 6 months.

Dolan, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  3. revolverbloom

revolverbloom Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Dolan! Can you confirm what language is best to incorporate with the Facebook api? You mentioned java, is that something you can program alongside php/mysql or are they two completely different languages?

revolverbloom, Nov 24, 2010 IP
  4. Dolan

Dolan Peon

Best Answers:
    IF you google facebook dev and add the developers kit to your facebook apps and then you can create an application via that. Looking from most of the other apps the 2d games are probably done in flash (actionscript) and the 3d ones in java. I would probably start off with flash and see how things go with that there should be a lot of tutorials on how to make games using it and then it should be simple enough to incorporate into facebook as an app using the dev kit. PHP does have java / javascript functions included but i general see PHP and java as two separate languages.
    Good luck!

Dolan, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  5. revolverbloom

revolverbloom Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks Dolan!

The game will be in 2d so I will take up your advice and start looking into some flash actionscript and see how things go. One last question however, would there be any potential for me to incorporate PHP with flash actionscript?
    Thanks!

revolverbloom, Nov 25, 2010 IP
  6. Dolan

Dolan Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmm i am not sure why you would want to do that as you would have to refresh the page every time you wanted the PHP code to change / update so that might be a problem unless it is in a iframe. But i would say everything you need to make a game would be in flash actioncript and the facebook dev kit.

Dolan, Nov 25, 2010 IP