1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Getafreelancer (Freelancer.com, GAF) Rip Off

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by qwertyuiop[, Nov 9, 2009.

1. ForgottenMemorie

ForgottenMemorie Member

Best Answers:
    I used GAF, for some CAD project i needed completing for college. Found someone that could do the work, can to advertise it for a second time - but got someone to do the job, also dont be fooled thinking people with lots of reviews are better, cause a mid ranged reviewed person - didnt even bother to respond.

Good experience, would use only if 100% could not physically do it my self. Great when you are in desperate need of urgent help.

ForgottenMemorie, May 13, 2010 IP
  2. ractors

ractors Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    freelancer.com is gud for buyers but they are cheating with provider.

they suspending your account once you request for withdrawal. (this already happen with many providers and also with me)

After that they have some stupid verification process.

freelancer.com is going to death soon with this verification process

Just my opinion if you are provider go with elance or odesk. Stay away with freelancer.com

ractors, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  3. kittyluver

kittyluver Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think rentacoder is also being wonderful company for writers as well as buyers. I don't like GAF.

kittyluver, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  4. hus52

hus52 Peon

Best Answers:
    ive always used gaf only

hus52, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  5. jinxaladin

jinxaladin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just my opinion if you are provider go with elance or odesk. i think that is good for you if you provider

jinxaladin, Aug 21, 2010 IP
  6. 0tt0m

0tt0m Peon

Best Answers:
    Matt Barrie CEO of a "50Mio Mega Enterprise" has the time to frequently respond to complaints on various websites and for self-praise like (quote) ...the largest freelancing site in the world ..., and (quote) We've paid out close to US$50,000,000 to providers on our site... (followed by a flood of non-payment complaints all over the Internet), and (quote) If any of the above posters still has an outstanding issue, please contact us..., but they just kept stealing peoples’ money up to date.

Why doesn't he spend that time to resolve the issues as he promises?

As they love big numbers and superlatives, the only true superlative we can see is that they are by far the website with the largest number of complaints and non-payment issues. Including us, as we just became certainly one of their last victims.

Anyone who wants to join our class action against the company and the CEO will be welcome. We have an additional collection of very effective activities that may eventually bring them down and to justice.

0tt0m, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  7. Hyphen

Hyphen Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd be in.

Hyphen, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  8. 0tt0m

0tt0m Peon

Best Answers:
    Welcome, we set up a separate email account where we collect and exchange all information. You will be surprised what we are working on. Answers usually will take a while, but no longer than 48 hours, because we are getting many cases and take each one seriously. Meet us with your story via: fightfreelancer (at) Gmail.com

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
    0tt0m, Aug 22, 2010 IP
  9. Webcanvas

Webcanvas Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,

I am a provider and buyer at GAF and I must admit there are loads of scammers out there. I don't agree that they all come from Asia as scammers exist in every corner of the planet.

It is wise to be very cautious when doing any business through any freelancing website because you never really get to meet the people working with you or behind it.

I did come across some scammers who disappear with your 'samples' and some who keep asking for 200 modifications only to not pay a dime extra for it ( and all the while I was wondering if I was a horrible service provider ), only to find out later that I was being ripped off!

Ok, so I am able to figure my way around them but I know a smarter one could be aorund the corner. Yet, honestly....tell me one freelance site that has no scammers online...be it GAF, Odesk or Craigslist.

Webcanvas, Oct 11, 2010 IP
  10. mbeighey

mbeighey Peon

Best Answers:
    Thats wierd, I have never had a problem with them.

Why cant you just give them what they are asking for?

mbeighey, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  11. Webcanvas

Webcanvas Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, I would give them what they want...if they knew what they wanted !

Webcanvas, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  12. ladesignandcoding

ladesignandcoding Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is the short answer, all freelance sites like that are ripoffs, they charge you a ton of fees just to get work done and they charge you more fees to get your money on top of the fees that they charge. I stopped using the freelance sites. Ended up saving a lot of money that way.

ladesignandcoding, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  13. Nagfx

Nagfx Peon

Best Answers:
    An ex-staff member of ours, had an account there representing us.
    But, good thing he never really did anything there.
    though on top, 30 bids or something limitation is not cool at all.
    Thanks for the heads up mate!

Nagfx, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  14. LilithX

LilithX Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Try Vworker.com

They have been around for a good while now and they were initially named rentacoder.com

I have been with them for over 5 years and never had any problems. The customer service is also excellent.

I've also heard good things about scriptlancer.com too. Hope this helps.

LilithX, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  15. Ruslan_

Ruslan_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I have problems with getafreelancer.com too. I sold some stuff there and couple days later money was gone from my account. When I emailed support, they said that the buyer filled a chargeback and I now owe fees to gaf :(

Ruslan_, Dec 7, 2010 IP
  16. NotHappy2011

NotHappy2011 Peon

Best Answers:
    I too have been having a problem with Freelancer. My problem is their $30.00 minimum balance withdraw requirement, which I think is extremely unfair. They don't seem to realize that when a provider successfully completes a project, they should be paid in a timely manner for it. I had the situation where I won the project with a $30.00 bid. Immediately after I accepted the project, Freelancer took their $5.00 commission which dropped my balance down to $25.00. After I successfully completed and delivered the project to the buyer, I attempted to withdraw the remaining $25.00 payment, but the request was denied because the amount was below Freelancer's $30.00 minimum. I submitted a ticket to them and expressed that my balance wouldn't be under the $30.00 minimum if they wouldn't have immediately taken their commission. I also expressed to them that it is unfair that they have gotten THEIR commission on a project that I completed, but now I can't get my payment because it is below their withdrawal minimum. I had to beg and plead with them to make an exception and release my money because I really needed it. I also appealed to them to lower their withdrawal requirements simply for the fact that if you win a $30.00 bid, you will automatically drop below the required withdrawal limit once they take their commission off the bat. A provider might not win another project for days, weeks, or even months and they should not have to wait that long to get payment for a project they successfully completed and delivered to the buyer JUST because it is below $30.00. ESPECIALLY since Freelancer gets their commission money from the work the provider completed immediately. They really need to revise their withdraw minimum policy.

NotHappy2011, Jan 18, 2011 IP
  17. bitacora13

bitacora13 Peon

Best Answers:
    I did not have the same luck with freelancer.com, they have kept my account with $ 523 dollars, researching on the web, I saw similar cases.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/freelancercom-will-steal-your-money-c313787.html

Almost 4 years working through them ... but the problem began when customers paid by escrow.

They requested an ID written in English, I am Argentine .. and my ID is written in Spanish, which is why they keep my money. BE CAREFUL WITH ESCROW
    Try to return the money amis customers, but they REFUSE

SUPPORT DOES NOT RESPOND!!

bitacora13, Jan 25, 2011 IP
  18. tyademosu

tyademosu Peon

Best Answers:
    Freelancer.com(gaf) sucks read about my experience with them here

arabellasfella.blogspot.com/2011/01/freelancercom-sucks.html

tyademosu, Feb 4, 2011 IP
  19. Jansencorp

Jansencorp Peon

Best Answers:
    You won’t have an issue with the work done - as the frellancer.com does not get paid in theory until the milestone has been met... since the issue is freelancer.com not releasing the funds after the freelancer has done th work - the actual client who pays is not even aware that the freelancer has not been paid.

I have had cleared funds released from escrow since the 2nd of this month, and after 20 days cancelled the withdraw and demanded payment directly from the client - that’s 20 days after I was supposed to be paid... they asked me to redo the request and promised to look into it - only to tell me I wont get paid until 18th of next month...

I am now cancelling all payments - forgetting escrow and demand payment directly upon completion of the agreed milestone... Their excuse this time was they were investigating where the money comes from -all funds were from customers with trading history - as I wont work with anyone without history... 7/8 reviews... so it is a sham.

I will concentrate on Elance.com and PHP – where they don’t relay on making exra money from bank interest on money that does not belong to them.

Jansencorp, Feb 25, 2011 IP
  20. Nitin Naresh

Nitin Naresh Peon

Best Answers:
    We would like to take your kind support and help in exposing off one of the biggest scam and fraud company with the name Freelancer.com Run by Matt Barrie who is the so called CEO of the company.

The company has always been in the news and press for providing one of the best platform for outsourcing but after surveying and searching the internet for past 2 months and after having a personal bitter experience with the company and a long discussion with their CEO we would like to state that the company is nothing but merely a HUB of scams and fraud. This company is not only doing internet frauds and scams but also spoiling the name of the country in which it is registered.

We registered as a service provider on the website 2 months back and won lot of projects online, our clients created milestone payments for us using their paypal accounts and all of a sudden company blocked our account without any reasons.

They asked for verification documents in such a manner that we got furios for the issue. The company asked us not to cross mark anything on the documents and also asked the owner of the company to send their passport and a verification code in both the hands and send them the pictures. This kind of verification made us quite suspect along with their statement that we must not darken or blurt or put any cross mark for our safety on the documents.

When searching on the internet we also found out that this company use to steal the identity of people and rip off them for their money. They use the id proof and documents of their site users for scams and frauds which involve money.

They Also usually suspend the accounts of the users when they are about to withdraw the money for their hardwork which they have done online. Apart then this company also suspends the accounts of the users who have some money in their accounts in the form of milestone payments and then mentally harass them to send multiple documents and never reinstate their accounts.

They also never refund the payments back to the project owners who had made the payments for the freelancer and neither they withdraw the money to freelancers. This way the company is running a huge huge scam online and both the project owners and freelancers are harassed.

One such incident occured with us when our clients with their username itgenie, eloko, proshopexpert made the milestone payments of 200 USD each and asked us to start the project, all of a sudden our accounts were suspended and our money with them freezed.

We sent them multiple emails, talked to their staff which really has very very poor customer support service. But no resolution was made, they also denied to refund the money to our clients and also didnt allowed us to withdraw the money, it was paypal who supported us at that moment and helped us to get our money back from freelancer.com which we paid to the company for getting the gold membership.

Finally we agreed to send them our documents but only on condition that we also requested them to send the documents of their company, their legal status, registration certificates along with the documents of the owner of the company in order to ensure that the company is a registered legal company and our documents are going in safe hand, but company denied to send us stating that they have strict privacy policy and they never send their documents for cross verification- which again made us suspect of the company.

If the company is genuine and all the work is authentic and legal why they are not sending us their documents to ensure and satisfy their clients. After all we are clients of this website, we pay them and all our money flows through the hand of this company so its our legal right to know if company is really a legal and genuine company or mere a fraud, also we want to ensure that our documents are going in safe hands and we will not face any sort of scam or fraud.

There are multiple problems that company creates for the users.

1. Their support system is really poor- they take more than 24 hours time to respond to one question and most of the time they are merely a copy-paste answers. They even dont read the questions properly and address to their answers.

2. They have a online chat system online which is off most of the time, whats the use of chat online when its off. Their chat representatives tells that they can not help the users in any way as they do not have access to their accounts where as the same names also respond to the tickets most of the time, the most common names who are visible on chat and tickets are tobby, ronalden, myla, christia etc. If these people can respond to tickets how come they dont have access to users account and if the chat people cant solve the issues that means some people chat in their chat system using fraud names.

3. They do have have any online call system nor they offer telephoic support to the clients for instant resolution which is again a major draw back.

4. when they want the clients to go through such serious verification system, why they dont do it in the begining at the time of registration and why all of a sudden they suspend the account in the middle of the business specially when the freelancers have money in their accounts. It clearly shows that freelancer.com targets accounts who have money in their accounts and freeze the accounts of users ripping off their money.

You can check the authencity of our email by checking freelancer.com scam, freelancer.com fraud, getafreelancer.com scam, getafreelancer.com fraud and google will direct you to various websites like www.escam.tk, www.ripoffreport.com, www.scam.org.

All the above three portals will have hundreds and hundreds of complaints against this company.

I would like to seek your help and coordination in exposing such a big fraud company who claims to be registered in Australia and Singapore.

I strongly believe that the staff of this company must be put behind the bars for ripping off the users for their hard earned money. I am sure that the promoters and staff of the company including the CEO Matt Barrie might try to stop my voice, they might also harass me further and may even try to kill me, But I am not scared of any sort of consequences and not even death, what i want is that truth must come in front of everyone.

Hope to seek your coordination in this matter.

with warm regards

Nitin Naresh
    91-8800302311

Nitin Naresh, Mar 8, 2011 IP