1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you need to register a company after starting an online business?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by csreference, Mar 12, 2010.

Suppose you start a business on internet like pay per post or answers which goes successful and there is a high amount of transactions involved like paying your publishers and receiving your part from it and advertisers payment. Then do you need to register a company under that website name or business name? There will be a need for some legal measures about Income Tax because of a high income, right?

Or do you just need to register the trademark for your website? Or register a company and then go for the trademark?

Please try to clear my queries, let me know if anything is unclear.

csreference, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  2. TextGalore

TextGalore Peon

Best Answers:
    If I'm not mistaken, you can register under your business name but put your website name as a D.B.A. (doing business as). If you have a goal of going to the max with the business (doing a good bit of sales), I would cover all your bases such as taxes, business registration, etc. Better safe than sorry. ;)

TextGalore, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  3. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I never got a DBA they are a waste of money. Instead I got a business liecence then become a LLC a few months later. You can always ask a lawyer for advice on this kind of stuff.

sweetcrabhoney18, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  4. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That depends. Most people I talk to (who are trying to get started online) do not have the bank roll for the $500.00 LLC.

So doing a DBA allows them to register as a business, then go and get a business checking account, and business P.O. box for mailing address. Over time, once they are making money, they would definitely want to get an LLC and protect themselves. It is money well spent.

However, in the meantime, they need all of their checks going into a business bank account that is seperate from personal. They also need to pay their hosting, and other expenses from that same business checking account. This will show IRS and leave paper trail of separation between personal and business monies. Which is what any good CPA or lawyer will tell you that you will want, and should be, doing.

While the risk of anything seriously happening is minimal in a lot of online businesses. You still want to make sure you, personally, can be sued. The LLC gives you that protection. Operating as a business, especially with a Fed tax ID, keeps you from having to give your SSN to all these fly by night affiliate and other internet companies. For maximum protection.

/2ct

Barefootsies, Mar 12, 2010 IP
    baronet-a likes this.
  5. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I register my biz under my company name.
    Yes i paid tax around $10000/year+++

mentos, Mar 12, 2010 IP
  6. csreference

csreference Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, but the thing is when you are starting a business where you will need to connect with other top companies and their representatives then you wouldn't want them to send you a payment on batman_bin_sufarman_since1956@yahoo.com.au (Randomly thought email ID) with a personal name on it right?

I mean having a good company name with a company bank account is better to receive payment in cheques or from paypal on it from them to do the business. It will have a better influence on that party right?

Can you please help me with a simple process to start this way.

csreference, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  7. xavierlalow

xavierlalow Peon

Best Answers:
    I never got a DBA they are a waste of money. Instead I got a business liecence then become a LLC a few months later. You can always ask a lawyer for advice on this kind of stuff. Do you want free online marketing services see ajspromotionalmedia.com

xavierlalow, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  8. Rocky01

Rocky01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it is very much necessary to get your company registered, because it has its own benefits. It gives you a name in the respective industry, you can market your business for a wider audience. Registering a company has become very easy these days, there are people who have made registering a company much easy.

Rocky01, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  9. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    When starting a business you want to register LLC and also file the paperwork for DBA, if required. It's best to contact the Secretary of State (if located U.S) or other equivalent office to find out exactly what are the requirements for registering a legal business in your state or region. Registering a national trademark protects your company's brand and or website from being copied by others. This means you can prosecute others for infringing on your trademark in court. If you're planning to go international than you would need to register a international trademark to protect your brand in countries you'd be operating in.

muffet, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  10. sponsorlist

sponsorlist Peon

Best Answers:
    Firstly, bumping 8 month old threads is not smart. And no it's not necessary to register a company, in order to do business online. It's same thing as you could go sell some stuff in flea market or etc. But if there's more money involved then starting a company does have benefits, just it's not required in most cases. Most of the business at internet is quite international, I'm not sure though how necessary it's to register international trademarks but at this point it would be wise to consult a real lawyer too. In either case, taxes you always should pay and do proper accounting.

sponsorlist, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  11. jamespop

jamespop Peon

Best Answers:
    wohh some really good information here , I am not into legal stuff at all so thanks

jamespop, Nov 23, 2010 IP
  12. floopy

floopy Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not from USA, just want to know is it truth or a myth that you can register LLC in USA for only 50$ (sounds too good to be true)

floopy, Nov 23, 2010 IP