1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How I Got Listed on a PR 8 Site with 1,000,000 backlinks

Discussion in 'Google' started by Chris Munch, Nov 11, 2010.

The best links you can get in the eyes of Google are:

1. True natural links where an author of a site chooses to link to you.
    2. When the link comes from a big authority site that also has loads of natural links to it.
    I score such links on a regular basis on my blog network. Today I want to share one such link and how I got it...

I was listed on ReadWriteWeb.com - a hugely popular blog which is a PR8 domain, with 1,000,000 backlinks according to Yahoo, and 200,000 monthly readers according to Compete.com.

Here is my link...
    [​IMG]
    source: readwriteweb.com

I did nothing to get this link but create awesome content. I spent about a day looking up studies that had been done on the effect of website speed in terms of how it effects rankings, usability and conversions.

I put all this information together and in one post had more collated data on the results of various studies than any other post out there on the internet (to the best of my knowledge).

Now in order to get sites to link to you then you need to get them to see your content, so that they can see it is good, and decide to link to it. This falls under two main strategies...

1. Contact Them

Here you try to simply pitch your work to the site and the authors. You could do this by sending in a news tip (many blogs have a contact form or email for pitching them stories), sending out a press release (not the SEO link building kind, one through a reputable PR distributor like webwire or PRWeb), or trying to network directly with authors.

2. Rank in Search Engines

Bloggers and reporters use Google heavily for their research. If you have content which they will likely be researching for particular stories, then if you can rank for the keywords they'll likely search for then they may link to you as a source of information.

So you try to optimize the title of your post so that it reflects keywords they might search for. I prefer to go after a number of longtail phrases in the title to maximize the chance of being seen.

It was strategy 2 which worked for me in this case.

I had the title: 'Effect of Website Speed on Users | Statistics Reveal Slow Loading Times Cost Sites Serious Money'

The title is a bit long, but it does give me a good chance of ranking for countless longtail terms. e.g:
    - User Statistics Website Speed
    - Website Speed Effect
    - Slow Loading Time Costs
    - Website Loading Time Statistics
    - Slow Loading Time Effect
    etc.
    There's probably close to a hundred different longtail combinations I could be ranking for. I won't rank for all of them, but I'll rank for enough that I'll get seen, and as time goes on and more links come in, I'll rank for more of those terms and rank higher for them.

Since this is something people will likely be researching for a long time this is a relatively timeless article that can be referenced for a long time to come, and I maybe just need to update it once a year.

Its a One Off?

Well there's certainly some luck involved in this pulling off. But you make your own luck. If you keep creating content like this you will eventually get found. I've had links from the mainstream press like the BBC.co.uk and USAToday.com in this way on other sites I run.

Truth is, in this case I was not even really trying to get links, the whole site is currently in pre-launch mode and I am just putting up some content to gain traction. I have not even got the design done yet!

I get a lot better results when I actively hunt out potential linking sites (so option 1 above) and tell them about the content which they may like to link to. I have got links from major sites like Gizmodo, TheSun.co.uk Mashable.com etc. in this sort of way.

There is a hit and miss element to it, but the more times you try the more times you hit, and the power of the link juice is phenomenal (it will raise the rankings of your entire site, not just the page linked to), plus you usually get decent direct traffic too allowing you to grow your readership.

These are the sorts of links Google WANTS to see, and they reward them as such, and I've found it the most powerful way to develop trust with Google.

With all the talk about autoblogging, and quick link building tactics discussed here, I thought it would be good to point out that doing this the natural way by making awesome content, and promoting it in a white hat manner, is still an option available to all of us.

If you want to try, tell me a niche and I'll try and come up with good linkbait article ideas...

Chris Munch, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  2. swasts

swasts Peon

Best Answers:
    did the PR8 site just give link to your site for free??

swasts, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  3. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, they linked to my site because (I assume) they found the content to be useful and wanted to share it with their readers.

Chris Munch, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  4. steveeyes

steveeyes Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, sounds good. Thanks for the info. Not sure why people seem skeptic. Maybe I'm missing something.

steveeyes, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  5. marsh_candy

marsh_candy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i believe in that technique! thanks for the great information. I will try it!

marsh_candy, Nov 11, 2010 IP
  6. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    Let us know how it goes? What sort of linkbait did you have in mind?

Chris Munch, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  7. monosodium

monosodium Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    this isn't for everyone, you need to be organized, smart, educated, and dedicated like this dude chris who is clearly going places.

chris, you scoundrel, you should warn people how dangerous this is: you should tell them it's highly addictive, score one and it's a buzz, the adrenaline pumps and the endorphins flow, the flood of traffic comes and it's a high... you pump your fist and scream. then it ebbs away, the post goes to page 2, page 3, the traffic abates... and you need it again, only this time more. it never ends.

monosodium, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  8. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:

Don't think you need to be organized and educated though (obviously helps though). Being creative and dedicated at creating awesome content, and then just being smart and committed to getting the word out is the main thing. There's lots of resources out there on linkbait to help you learn.

For sure, especially since some sites can send tens of thousands of visitors, and that's without hitting the front pages of sites like Digg or Reddit. That's just from being features on big blogs and news sites.

Chris Munch, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  9. dream_sonu

dream_sonu Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    yes you are right but its just like a finding gold coin in sea its happen sometime but luck is matter.

dream_sonu, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  10. xphunt3r

xphunt3r Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for the info........

xphunt3r, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  11. Chris Munch

Chris Munch Peon

Best Answers:
    There's a bit of luck involved, but it is about creating great content consistently and promoting it correctly you will land links from high authority sources on a regular basis. I get these sorts of links pretty regularly, and it is not really down to luck to get them on a regular basis.

Chris Munch, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  12. rachelle123

rachelle123 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a celebrity blog that I am trying to get off the ground.. Sent you a pm. Would appreciate some advice if you have some time..

Thanks,

rachelle123, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  13. Postedhere

Postedhere Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    congratulations and thanks for sharing this information.

Postedhere, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  14. dynamicseoservices

dynamicseoservices Peon

Best Answers:
    @ chris-tew

Great post and congratulations on the success of getting a quality PR8 site to link to you. Appreciate it took a lot of work and fact gathering to get the article together, but just goes to show through determiniation and sheer hard work, the rewards are there to be had. Well done Chris!

James

dynamicseoservices, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  15. Master Directory

Master Directory Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    interested for me.

Master Directory, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  16. onetrickaday

onetrickaday Peon

Best Answers:
    you are right , well we must not work and expect getting links , just create good content ... make some happy readers , and links will show up automatically .... i keep getting baclinks becuase of the iphone tutorials i write from time to time ....

Nice info chris , btw which one is your site .... ??

onetrickaday, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  17. kytro360

kytro360 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks and good for you

kytro360, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  18. imkazu

imkazu Peon

Best Answers:
    viral marking at its best, quality content will get free, quality press

imkazu, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  19. mecanique

mecanique Member

Best Answers:
    thank for charing this for us

mecanique, Nov 26, 2010 IP
  20. simple007

simple007 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    wow you won the lottery my friend. congrats to you...

simple007, Nov 26, 2010 IP