1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Addon Vs Normal Domains from SEO point of View

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by bnts, Oct 6, 2006.

I have a host which is providing only 1 Domain Hosting and 4 Addon Domains with that. Now I have registered another domain and I am looking for a new host, But my host said it would be ok if I use the new domain as an addon to the previous one.

The thing I wanted to know is, are addon domains same as any other regular domain from SEO point of view? Will it affect the PR I am hopefully planning to optimize? Will it be ok or should I go for another seperate hosting plan for my new domain since I am hoping for a growth?

Please help me out.

Thanks,
    bnts

bnts, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  2. isosh

isosh Peon

Best Answers:
    addon domain is hosting term, there is no difference between regular domain and addon domain.

About PR, PR is characteristic of web page not domain, so it doesn't matter for PR what is your domain.

isosh, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  3. JosS

JosS Guest

Best Answers:
    "PR is characteristic of web page not domain"

I thought the domain got pagerank? Because that is what you are linking to. The domain?

JosS, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  4. skyblue webteam

skyblue webteam Peon

Best Answers:
    No, index page (.html, .php or whatever) is what you are linking to. So if you put domain name in a link url you would not affect domain popularity (that term doesn't even exist if i'm right), but index page popularity.

skyblue webteam, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  5. axemedia

axemedia Guest

Best Answers:
    PR= page rank. Not site rank. Every page of a site gets its own rank. In most cases the index page gets the highest rank because most links point to it. But it is possible to have higher PR for internal pages if they recieve more inbound links or higher PR inbound links.

In order to consolidate PR to the root url use 301 redirects to redirect www.site.com/index.html and site.com(no www.) to www.site.com Otherwise main url could have PR4 while index.htm has PR3 and domain without the www. could have PR2, or any combination there of. With the redirect all inbound links and the PR they pass all get pointed to one spot.

As a side note, just think of how much PR gets passed to the actual sites at domain.com and site.com from people posting them when they are actually refering to generalizations of a domain.

axemedia, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  6. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My question was about the Addon domain. When we add a domain as addon domain, we direct the addon domain to a subdirectory of the main domain. Like AddonDomain => mainDomain/subdirectory.

But it is not the case when we host the domain independently.

My question is, does the structure AddonDomain => mainDomain/subdirectory. won't create any problem when I do my SEO?

Thanks

bnts, Oct 7, 2006 IP
  7. classifieds

classifieds Sopchoppy Flash

Best Answers:
    No it won't - Don't worry about it.

"addon domain" is simply a term that cpanel uses for adding additional domain names to a hosting account. Also don't fret about the directory structure.

The web root for the addon domain is all that the search engines will see.

-jay

classifieds, Oct 7, 2006 IP
    bnts likes this.
  8. bnts

bnts Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Oh thank you Jay, I think that was the most clear explanation for what I wanted to know:).

Thanks.

bnts, Oct 7, 2006 IP