1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Anyone use MongoDB?

Discussion in 'Databases' started by clorets01, Aug 19, 2010.

I'm in the process of choosing a new web development framework and the DB support is an important aspect of it.

I'm considering mongoDB, anyone use it, would you recommend it?

clorets01, Aug 19, 2010 IP
  2. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    jestep, Aug 20, 2010 IP
  3. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm about to start using it for a project but if you're not convinced yet take a look at this presentation about using MongoDB along with the Lithium PHP Framework.

Good luck!

ArchAxis, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  4. Deacalion

Deacalion Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice to see MongoDB being mentioned here :).

Haven't used it yet, but it's in my top 5 to try over the next few months. I love the idea of no joins!
    I also manage a cluster of PostgreSQL servers (Slony-I), which can sometimes be a pain in the arse - looks like it could be easy in MongoDB :).

Deacalion, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  5. teamaguilar

teamaguilar Peon

Best Answers:
    teamaguilar, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  6. smg

smg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    smg, Nov 22, 2010 IP
  7. ArchAxis

ArchAxis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    After reading clorets01's question again I want to answer it properly, I am going to be using MongoDB because of switching to the Lithium Framework. I'm designing a Facebook Application and wanted to be able to write it by myself without creating a huge team and I also don't want the app it to bring down my server.

At first I wanted to use CakePHP as the framework to help me build the site using RAD so I picked up the book Beginning CakePHP by David Golding and by chance I checked out his website and read the article Transitioning from CakePHP to Lithium this really got me excited!!

From there I started reading up on Mongo and Lithium and now I'm working on setting up my development environment on Windows using Lighttpd as my web server. I've still have a lot to learn and am actually going to finish his CakePHP book so I have a solid foundation with the MVC Framework and Lithium since Lithium is a fork of CakePHP. It's going to be a fun adventure but from all of the videos I've watched on 10gen (The creators of MongoDB) I'm really pumped to get the site up and not have any scalability or performance issues ever! Sharding and GridFS are a dream come true!

My goal is to get my Facebook app up and running in 6 months! New technology is why I love being a web developer, I really couldn't stand sticking with the same 'ol stuff forever!

Virgil

ArchAxis, Nov 22, 2010 IP