1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO or memorable and witty?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by jonline100, Feb 18, 2010.

I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place whether to go with a witty, clever name (e.g. something like the card company moonpig) or a name that is focused on Keywords.

Any advice?

jonline100, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  2. talvehtia

talvehtia Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on what kind of a website you are planning to develop. Will it be a Web2.0 application or will it be an informative site?

Keyword domains will help you on seo but don't forget that your type-in traffic will be low according to your domains length. And if you choose those "clever" names your type-in (direct) traffic will be higher but you'll have to work on search engine optimization harder. Both types have their advantages and disadvantages.

talvehtia, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  3. paulnet

paulnet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go for both domains, if you want to capture both traffic.

paulnet, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  4. jonline100

jonline100 Peon

Best Answers:
    it's an informative website and on average how much traffic comes from seo in relation to direct?

jonline100, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  5. videosurfer

videosurfer Member

Best Answers:
    I'd say that it depends on whether you are wanting to build a brand, or whether your intent is purely to get search engine traffic. I'd go for the witty name as it is probably more memorable. In the end there are many factors alongside just the domain name that determine how you rank.

videosurfer, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  6. MoiseW

MoiseW Member

Best Answers:
    If your web site is niche targeted and will rely on the traffic from search engines, then focus on keywords.
    If you have a really interesting idea (1 in a billion) and you are capable of scripting it, then you can get any catch name.

MoiseW, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  7. tradingnames.org

tradingnames.org Peon

Best Answers:
    I usually go for seo, but it can depend on the market, to be honest I would look at what names are available to me and base the decision on that, if you can find a catchy name that’s good enough then it may be the better option.

tradingnames.org, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  8. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with the SEO name, unless you can do a mix of both.

inspiroHost, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  9. jbtooloo

jbtooloo Peon

Best Answers:

Moonpig have done very well but they have considerable investment behind them, Toojistar on the other hand, a smaller company offering similar things look to have a smaller budget but they offer far better quality, hence why i use them.

Make sure your service is upto scratch, but in answer to your question: Go clever, people appreciate it :)

jbtooloo, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  10. KindSoles

KindSoles Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I would say to go with a clever name.
    You could also use this as a way to show other people the amount of work it takes to start becoming recognized under a brand name for the content you're publishing.

KindSoles, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  11. jonline100

jonline100 Peon

Best Answers:
    I do appreciate the advice guys but i picked my name a long time ago, managed to get the best of both, i'm sure your advice will do well for others though :)

jonline100, Nov 15, 2010 IP
  12. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I believe keyword-rich domains are trendy but there is a drawback... if your project doesn't achieve the expected success, it's hard change your niche without changing a keywords domain.

Mystique, Nov 15, 2010 IP