1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PayPal Alternatives to Accept Credit Cards

Discussion in 'Payment Processing' started by vladthebest, Nov 7, 2010.

Hi,

I have used PayPal for over a year and since I started my business my PayPal account has received a certain amount of money. One day PayPal has limited my account and they sent me a message saying that it is a EU law to require more info about account users if they receive more than 2,500 euros. So I was asked to provide photo id, credit card confirmation and proof of address. I have given all the information but then they required even more documents from me, like invoices, phone numbers and addresses of my suppliers, proof of delivery, info about payments, etc. I was very annoyed because some of the information is almost impossible for me to get. I have contacted them several times after they have "blocked" my account. This is what one of the customer service people has told me "well, I don't really see a specific reason why your account is being blocked. But to be honest I cannot really help you because the accounting department handles the limitations" - 'Could you please redirect me to the accounting department or give me their contacts so I can solve my problem as soon as possible' - "Sorry but I cannot redirect you to the accounting department or give you their contacts, this information is confidential". I was really annoyed with PayPal and it seems like I will never use their services again. However, I still need to run my business and I need help from you guys!

I need to know all possible payment gateways that will allow me to accept credit card payments from my clients and withdraw money when I want. Please note the following:

- I am from Czech Republic (Central Europe), so I can't use services for UK/US/Canada residents (e.g. Google Checkout is only for uk & us)

- I have just started my business and I did not register it officially (so I don't have a tax id, etc.), so I cannot convert my bank account to merchants account..

- I provide online services (video marketing) and not physical products.

There very many possibilities for me but they either had a very high setup fee like 300-500 dollars, required me to live in uk/us or my tax id/social security number..

Anyway, I need something like PayPal, which will allow me to start immediately and accept credit card payments from my customers. And I also need to withdraw money as soon as possible.. There were some gateways which were decent but they online sent out money twice a month. The problem is that I have to pay my providers very quickly and I cannot wait for too long.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

vladthebest, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  2. workingsmart

workingsmart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try 2checkout - you can even accept paypal there... The merchant fees aren't too bad and the setup fee is only $50... Well worth it... Better fraud protection and better service overall, in my opinion.

Cheers!~

workingsmart, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  3. SuperVM

SuperVM Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd second 2co (2checkout.com), it's a trusted merchant gateway that I've had good experiences with.

SuperVM, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  4. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not sure if you can use it but I accept Alipay at HOSTNHUB.com Its the Asian equivalent to paypal.

globegenius, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  5. vladthebest

vladthebest Member

Best Answers:
    I have checked 2checkout and they have a pretty tough application form. I need to give a lot of documentation about my business but I can't since I just started it. Its just a home-based business for me but I already need to proof that my firm legally exists. Its also mentioned on their website that they might freeze funds if I will have a quick increase in profit, but I can't say I won't because the last time my website was still working my turnover was $1,300 a weekend.

I had a look at that website hostnhub.com and I did not find any payment gateways.. There was web & email hosting, ssl certificates and some other related services. If it does operate as a payment gateway then I would appreciate if you could guide me. I went to alipay.com and it was all in chinese so I didn't understand how to use it..

vladthebest, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  6. seotraining

seotraining Active Member

Best Answers:
    2checkout and moneybookers are other alternatives of paypal which fits your need i would prefer to go with moneybookers

seotraining, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  7. sibsoft

sibsoft Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Try to check Plimus, however their rates higher than 2CO.

sibsoft, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  8. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Moneybookers is not available to US buyers.

jestep, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  9. OnTheEdge

OnTheEdge Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Hey I am from Ukraine had No biz what so ever and was accepted through 2checkout. The application may seem "tough" but it really is not. They take individuals all the time, I don't have a company. As for funds freezing the best thing to do is make sure you set up "products" properly and you shouldn't have any problems. If you have a "Big" sale that needs to be processed contact them first and let them know you just sold a 1000$ product, as long as the product sells for that price on your site there shouldn't be any problems. Watch out for "selling" products that are NOT listed on your site, this will get you in trouble.

Another site to try is Avangate.com they are basically the same as 2checkout. They Only Deal with Virtual Products, you can not sell anything physical with their service.

Plimus is also mentioned here but their fees are more than the above mentioned.

AlertPay.com is more like PayPal but their fees are more but they maybe a good fit. They do require that they inspect your website and approve it before allowing you to sell. Also consider calling them before and talking to them, I contacted them via phone and had my problem solved in just a few minutes. Using Skype makes calling affordable. I have Not used AlertPay to process any payments yet so I can't recommend their service but I have heard good things.

One thing to keep in mind when ever you are using Any service (except Paypal) is contact them and let them know whats going on this seems more transparent to the processor.

Note about Moneybookers, If you apply for a merchant account with Moneybookers, you Will be able to accept Credit Cards from Americans they just cant send you money via the Moneybookers system. I was told (could be different for you) that Moneybookers would hold 10% of every transaction for 180 days. I assume this was because I was Not a business.

OnTheEdge, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  10. globegenius

globegenius Active Member

Best Answers:
    [I had a look at that website hostnhub.com and I did not find any payment gateways.. There was web & email hosting, ssl certificates and some other related services. If it does operate as a payment gateway then I would appreciate if you could guide me. I went to alipay.com and it was all in chinese so I didn't understand how to use it..[/QUOTE]

Sorry for the confusion. I just meant that Alipay was another option. When I come across a language I do not know, I use Google translator. Hostnhub is a domain registry I manage. We take many forms of payment because we sell around the world. Good luck with finding a payment processor. Have you looked at CHASE ?

globegenius, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  11. ericsb

ericsb Peon

Best Answers:
    How can that be ? I have a moneybookers account, I'm a verified merchant in the usa. My bank, my business, my cards, all registered in the USA.

ericsb, Nov 8, 2010 IP
  12. ahmadarshad

ahmadarshad Peon

Best Answers:
    2CO sucks. They have very un-professional customer services

ahmadarshad, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  13. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can only accept/send payments to US customers. If a moneybookers customer from outside the US tries to transfer you money it will not allow it. You also cannot transfer to a non-US account. This is due to anti-online gambling regulations that the US passed a few years back. Instead of banning online gambling, which the US told them to do, Moneybookers just banned US customers.

Unless it's changed literally in the past few months, this is how they've worked for 3 or 4 years. They did sign an agreement with ebay a few months back, so it's possible that things are changing with them.

jestep, Nov 9, 2010 IP
  14. ibanezgrx1

ibanezgrx1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can try Fastspring. Its a very good payment processor with lower fees than 2CO.

ibanezgrx1, Nov 10, 2010 IP
  15. John-Gult

John-Gult Peon

Best Answers:
    I use Google Checkout for a lot of stuff. It pays out every 3 days for me, but I have been with them a LONG time. As far as I know, when you first establish an account, their payouts are paid 15 days after the sale. That really sucks if you are a drop shipper or if you are selling anything other than a service.

ALSO: I was wondering about this too. I have pretty much dropped paypal because they are soooo bad. They take much more than they give. Is there any other payment processor that does payouts right away. I used to use paypal for instant payouts, but now I use Google for my website, but I still want ideas. Say I am a BRAND new user.

John-Gult, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  16. steveoo

steveoo Peon

Best Answers:
    PayPal are bad - true, they can freeze your account for trivial reasons but the others are even worse.

I've tried moneybookers. Their biggest disadvantage is they work only in Europe.
    AlertPay are horrible - they denied my application and I waited one month for approval.

After years of trying to find a decent processor I am back to PayPal, sorry to say but there are not many alternativies to PayPal!

steveoo, Nov 14, 2010 IP
  17. Activeweb

Activeweb Active Member

Best Answers:
    A little more expensive...but have a look at fastspring.com or ccbill.com

Activeweb, Nov 17, 2010 IP
  18. fiqih

fiqih Peon

Best Answers:
    I think Fastspring is better than 2CO because this payment processor cost you a low fees and they have nice professional customer service to help you when you have some purchase problem..

fiqih, Nov 17, 2010 IP
  19. giddeon

giddeon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Paypal really s_u_c_k_s. I had been using them for many years and this month they have blocked both my verified business and personal account.

Their support department is full of incompetent people who are able to just copy and paste a text into an email.

Anyway - my alternatives where moneybookers for payments from EU and so far avangate. I am also thinking about alertpay which might be an alternative.

I will keep an eye on this thread in order to check all the alternatives because at this particular moment many people face problems with paypal.

giddeon, Nov 18, 2010 IP
  20. Wedding DJ

Wedding DJ Peon

Best Answers:

Wedding DJ, Nov 18, 2010 IP