1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

New Search Engine - Blekko

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by senth, Nov 12, 2010.

I got a forwerded Email about a new Search Engine

Anyone know how this will affect the current SEO?

Here is that message:

Blekko Search Engine
    Launched Nov. 1, Blekko tries a crowd-sourced approach to search results to help user’s better pinpoint answers. The idea is to provide an alternative to the traditional machine-generated search from Google, Bing and Yahoo. Blekko aims to show search results from only useful, trustworthy sites. The goal is to clean up Web search and get all the spam out of it. Blekko’s search engine scours three billion Web pages that it considers worthwhile, but it shows only the top results on any given topic. It calls its edited lists of Web sites slashtags. The engine also tries to weed out Web pages created by so-called content farms like Demand Media that determine popular Web search topics and then hire people at low pay to write articles on those topics for sites.

It is also drawing on a fruitful category of Web search — vertical search engines that offer results on specific topics. People who search for a topic in one of seven categories that Blekko considers to be polluted with spamlike search results — health, recipes, autos, hotels, song lyrics, personal finance and colleges — automatically see edited results. Users can also search for results from one site, narrow searches by type or search by topic. Blekko has made hundreds of these slashtags, and users can create their own and revise others.

Users made more than 1 million queries per day and created more than 30,000 slashtags in the curated search engine's first week in public beta.

Sources : Google Watch, NY Times

senth, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  2. crockstar

crockstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey- I'm not really sure how/if it will impact SEO that much. I personally like Blekko but I think ultimately people will always sort of use what they're comfortable with and adding anything more complicated into search (e.g. "slashing things out") will just be more trouble than some people are willing to deal with.

Strictly from an SEO standpoint- I think it's potentially a valuable tool for any search marketer. It provides a lot of free Data, it's algorithim is somewhat open and they try to tell you why certain things rank where they do. Of the search engines out there that do use much intelligence and have a proper algo (Google, Yahoo, Bing) it seems like Blekko are starting out fairly transparent and if you knew what you were doing it would be the easiest engine to sort of "reverse engineer"... for now.

I think it's exciting to see a new engine out there and hope they can make it through the honeymoons stage.

Thanks for starting the conversation!

crockstar, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  3. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    I don't think Blekko will have any impact at all. Google is still very strong.
    If Microsoft put more efforts in Bing now that they have Yahoo too, it might get interesting.

zexy, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  4. John-Gult

John-Gult Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is the only search engine I care to rank in. Google is where all of my traffic originates for the most part. I really don't even monitor yahoo and msn because they are so small inn comparison.

John-Gult, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  5. ChrisMonty

ChrisMonty Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems like Blekko is very good at eliminating spam, but it has a long way to go before it even comes close to competing with Google or Bing.

ChrisMonty, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  6. zexy

zexy Guest

Best Answers:
    While this is true, in some niches yahoo and bing could bring you a lot of traffic that converts nicely ;)

zexy, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  7. senth

senth Peon

Best Answers:
    As ChrisMonty mentioned, Blekko will eliminate all the Spams.

Sometime I noticed at Google Search, some sites have no useful information or not the relevant information, but google gives in the result based on keyword content.

senth, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  8. Promoman

Promoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    I believe there must be value added - like Yahoo and MSN have a home page with news, etc. They would need more than just a search. Maybe team up with Facebook and create a monster search/social site.

Promoman, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  9. Philoon

Philoon Peon

Best Answers:
    No it won't. Google, Yahoo, and Bing can't get rid of spam, how is some little search engine (that most average users have never heard of) supposed to get rid of it?

Philoon, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  10. smallbusinessguy

smallbusinessguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Another search engine to spark a new discussion about the "next Google killer"

smallbusinessguy, Nov 12, 2010 IP
  11. bigp

bigp Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm less interested in how it will affect SEO and more interested in the SEO tools that Blekko offers.

Here's a neat little tip that you'll find handy:

Just visit the following link for a nice little breakdown of your SEO.
    http://blekko.com/ws/www.YOURWEBSITEHERE.com+/seo
    Code (markup):
    e.g. http://blekko.com/ws/forums.digitalpoint.com+/seo

What's nice is that you can use it for some competitive intel as well . . .

Hope that helps!

bigp, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  12. Lex350

Lex350 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. Its a nice website but I get all my traffic from Google, Yahoo and Bing.

Lex350, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  13. sameer_reddy

sameer_reddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Not idea whether it willl bring down Google, but it certainly is good at getting rid of all those junk sites I find in Google

sameer_reddy, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  14. eoadonia

eoadonia Peon

Best Answers:
    Its very hard for Blekko to replace Big G.

eoadonia, Nov 13, 2010 IP
  15. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    'Blekko'. What's that then? The 'South Ifrican Sirch Ingin'?

contentboss, Nov 13, 2010 IP