1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

PHP Vs. Ruby On rails

Discussion in 'PHP' started by Alex!, Oct 3, 2006.

Hey,

I'm currently learning some php when i came across an article, i forget where it was, and it was talking about ruby on rails. Personally i have never eaver used it before nor have i tried, but i was wondering what your opinions of it are?

Alex!, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  2. vdd

vdd Peon

Best Answers:
    I think RoR has a brilliant future. But now i'm using PHP.

vdd, Oct 3, 2006 IP
  3. Alex!

Alex! Peon

Best Answers:
    IF it can be compared, is it easier or harder than PHP? As far as syntax and commands and such?

ALex

Alex!, Oct 4, 2006 IP
  4. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    disgust, Oct 4, 2006 IP
  5. Alex!

Alex! Peon

Best Answers:
    :S A bit to much work for my likin ... anyone.

Alex!, Oct 4, 2006 IP
  6. kjewat

kjewat Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion the syntax of PHP is more similar to other programming languages, so I would say PHP is easier to learn.

But I already know PHP, and have barely used ruby...so I might be wrong :rolleyes:

And I am a little bit skeptical to how efficient the "magic" use of a database with ruby on rails is. Does is scale etc.?

kjewat, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  7. DrMalloc

DrMalloc Peon

Best Answers:
    PHP is a language, ruby on rails is a framework (written in the Ruby language). Ruby on Rails is based on a software design concept known as Model View Controller, but aimed at the common user. Other MVC frameworks for web applications such as struts are often very complex, and more suited for large web applications. Until you have a decent understanding of web application structure and functioning, and some experience in design and implementation, ruby on rails won't be hugely useful to you. From my experiences of using it, it still requires a good understanding of relational databases, access control, http protocol (GET/POST) requests and so forth, all of which you'll learn whichever scripting language you're programming in. That's just my 2 cents though.

DrMalloc, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  8. coderlinks

coderlinks Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi,
    If you want to dvelop PHP apps quickly, there is a really cool framework called CodeIgnitor( http://www.codeignitor.com ) . It really 'ignited' my mind. They even have a tutorial video to make a blog in 10 minutes.

Thomas

coderlinks, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  9. national-parks

national-parks Peon

Best Answers:
    I used PHP for years. I now use Ruby and Rails and love it. :)

national-parks, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  10. hadrick

hadrick Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, surely there will be a competition between php and ROR. But in this point, if you make the current web development sense in point then you need to consider ROR. Whats the profit you can have from ROR is, it is more flexible with Ajax and javascript. And thats why to make the site more flexible developers choose ROR.
    But still there is a fact that, you can see lots of proffessional hosters, seperate ROR hosting and Php hosting, its because ROR takes a huge load and if you run them on the same server who is using others you might have lots of load issues with server. But with php you wouldn't find this issue.

So its still hard to say which one is good. But i love to see the competition.

Regards

hadrick, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  11. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    The same was told when Phyton and Colfusion appeared in the horizon.

However there are many good applications that can only be developed in ROR, other just for Phyton, and so on :)

Pat Gael, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  12. bigrollerdave

bigrollerdave Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    WOW that looks so hard to learn. I'll stick to php for now.

bigrollerdave, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  13. Scotia King

Scotia King Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ruby on Rails is actually very simple and very elegant, but it is a bit harder to set up on a server than PHP.

The syntax is a bit different from PHP, too..

Scotia King, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  14. disgust

disgust Guest

Best Answers:
    everything looks hard when it's new to you :) php probably looked the same way when you first saw it... unless you did something similiar beforehand.

if you want to understand the feel of RoR without switching to a new language, try some of the similiar PHP tools. some are listed here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model-View-Controller#Architectures_for_Web-based_Interfaces

disgust, Oct 10, 2006 IP
  15. nddb

nddb Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you mean Python? And I doubt it, you can take any application and write it in any language, some are faster, some are harder to use... some the syntax just sucks, and the complete OOP is annoying... depends on what you want to do I guess.

Check this out though, pretty interesting :

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=perl
    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=php
    http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/gp4/benchmark.php?test=all&lang=ruby&lang2=java

nddb, Oct 26, 2006 IP
  16. gigapromoters

gigapromoters Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for PHP as Ror is a little complex and it still has doubts of acceptance in global market. You can still find a great range of frameworks in PHP, framework is the only thing which is attracting the programmers to get to RoR. See this.

Also take a look at one of the framework which is just like RoR.

gigapromoters, Oct 26, 2006 IP