1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

duplicate content myth

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jimKeough, Oct 5, 2006.

I've heard a lot of people say that you shouldn't distribute an article that you already have on your website. But i just dont believe it. i don't think google will penalize a site for that, therefore it can only help. and from my experience, it does help. plus, what is wrong with distributing an article that i have on my site? it's not like i'm spamming or anything like that... i'm marketing. isn't that what matt cutts says a site should do... "seo is becoming more and more like traditional marketing"

jimKeough, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  2. topaffiliateprogram

topaffiliateprogram Peon

Best Answers:
    its sad fact actually . i have seen some sites just copy articles and getting good traffic .. but its not for long term , search engines are working hard to develop technology to ban such peoples ... Also copyright is other problem you may face if you do it .

topaffiliateprogram, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  3. jimKeough

jimKeough Peon

Best Answers:
    i'm not copying anyone and i don't care it they copy me as long as they give me credit. i just don't see how google could technically figure out how to exactely stop dup content.

i thought that maybe google would just try to find sites that abuse duplicate content, but then sites like seomoz.org would probably get in trouble because all their content is probably duplicated from other sites.

4. national-parks

national-parks Peon

Best Answers:
    Article sites seem to be gaining in popularity. If there is such a thing as a duplicate content filter, it'd have to consider other factors as well.

national-parks, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  5. jimKeough

jimKeough Peon

Best Answers:
    other factors like what? i'd like to try to figure out if it's possible, i just don't see how google could figure it out unless they got 1000's of humans involved and started monitoring.

google is such an open community, they should have a more community style spam site review that would maybe help clean their database

6. coolsaint

coolsaint Banned

Best Answers:
    Dear toofast,

I wish you heard about site like this one.

http://www.copyscape.com/

Try it . You can understand what a search engine like can do.

Thanks.

Coolsaint

coolsaint, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  7. jimKeough

jimKeough Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks for feedback, i'm digging the interaction here. i am aware of copyscape (great site, use it all the time). but just because a search engine recognizes that there are 2 copies of the same content on different sites, does NOT mean that the search engines:
    1. know who posted it first
    2. know that the original creator didn't allow them to post it (in which case google should not penalize)
    3. think it's bad.... i think a lot of us want our information to be distributed among websites and i don't want the search engines to penalize you for it. it's good, you like my article and you think it will help your customer. instead of putting a link on your site, just copy my content (put a link to my site on at the end just to give credit).

i am AGAINST stealing copyright content or content that people dont want compied. and proper credit should always be given with a backlink.

8. coolsaint

coolsaint Banned

Best Answers:
    Dear Friend,

Google doesn't publish it's algorithm for its security and for not to being exploited. So Whatever we know is actually based on effects. Where we put Logical explanation to prove it. As much as i know Google sends your page to google Sandbox to give you punishment. there are many reason to punish a site . One of them is Duplicate Content. Even if you change your Host according to Google's algorithm you will fall in Duplicate Content Algorithm Penalty automatically. No human interactions needed. I wish if you do some search in Google itself you can learn something more about it. How bad this Sandbox is. My site was also in google Sandbox for quit sometime (nearly 4 months) . During the Sandbox life your site will not being crawled or indexed by google. That is your punishment.

go and read couple of articles here about Google and Duplicate Content.

http://searchengineoptimism.com/SEO_Tutorial/google-duplicate-content.html
    http://www.searchenginejournal.com/?p=1886

Thanks.

Coolsaint

9. connectmobiles

connectmobiles Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think copyin articles really help. But, what if you get caught and banned. I wouldnt take the risk..

Its rather advisable to go with originality and Unique content..

connectmobiles, Oct 5, 2006 IP
  10. coolsaint

coolsaint Banned

Best Answers:
    Dear Friend,

After doing a search in the forum I have found another Thread has been started on this Topic . I wish that will also help you to research about it and discuss about it.

The Thread is here.

http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=2213

Thanks.

Coolsaint.

11. MattUK

MattUK Notable Member

Best Answers:
    1. Is theorised that they do this by cache date and which article has the most links to it.
    2. They penalise the articles they view as being copies (see above)
    3. Of course they think it's bad, why would they want 100's of duplicates in their index?

MattUK, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  12. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google can only include 10 sites on the first page of the serps. Whats the point in them showing searchers 10 copies of the same piece of information?

If they find duplicates they will decide which source they trust the most and give them the spot in the serps. All being well if you write the article and its on your site first and all the other sites who publish it link back to you then you will get the credit.

However google quite often gets things wrong so you would be taking a risk if you rely on them crediting the article to you. Especially if your site is not one that google trusts and gives good rankings to.

mad4, Oct 6, 2006 IP
  13. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    I think the real issue these days is that the page(s) with duplicate articles, content, whatever will eventually be dropped from the index. If your site is 100% copied content, eventually it will not see the light of day as far as traffic from Google is concerned. But, you should try it out and see what you find. At the very least you can learn how things usually work with the different search engines with regards to widely duped content.

chachi, Oct 6, 2006 IP