1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link Farm?

Discussion in 'Google' started by note_12, Nov 2, 2010.

Hi my question is as follows - if you have 1 main website, and create another 2 or 3 website that are related in topic that link to the original one with the keywords you want, on the same server (IP) will this have a negative effect?

If so what is it that causes the problem, the fact that they are on the same IP? As otherwise you could do this to a competitors website?

In effect can you build X websites which link to the main one to boost its rankings?

note_12, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  2. Barre Tire

Barre Tire Peon

Best Answers:
    Two or three may be okay as long as you are not linking every page from those site to your main site.

Barre Tire, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  3. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Indeed, two or three other sites don't constitute a link farm and as such you should be OK, providing you don't duplicate the content.

Another thing...you mention doing this to a competitor, but it would be extremely difficult to build a site on the same IP as their site, don't you think.

simpseo, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  4. note_12

note_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah of course thats why I said is the problem that they're on the same IP :)

So if the content isn't duplicated and the sites are good enough to 'stand' on their own you should be OK?

note_12, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  5. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have been experimenting quite a bit and I think all of these link farm type methods to increase SERP (which is ultimately what I am looking for) are pretty useless. Google is much more sophisticated nowadays and they are looking basically for good content that serves as a good landing spot for ads. To find these pages, Google uses all types of visitor metrics that they are gathering from a variety of sources. One link from an authority site is worth more than 1000 links from non-authority. And visitors who linger are worth the most.

richrf, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  6. alexandrupaul

alexandrupaul Peon

Best Answers:
    i think is useless. from my own experience.

alexandrupaul, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  7. note_12

note_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you think that 'every little helps' though? Basically assuming my time is free, domains are cheap and I can knock out a decent website given enough time (which is free) with links to my main site - will this help with non-competitive keywords, or am I running too much of a risk of being blocked/removed from index? Or am I worrying too much?

note_12, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  8. richrf

richrf Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think if you have just a limited number of links, it will do a minimal amount of harm but probably no good.

Nowadays, Google's algorithms are very sophisticated. They want good content surrounding the ads that they are delivering. You have to think in terms of building a great magazine, a great newspaper, or a great TV show. Content that people will want to stay around and look at or content that other authoritative sites will link to. This is what Google is measuring and what you need to achieve. Otherwise, you will be lost among the millions of other sites that are basically doing nothing.

I've been working on my site for years trying to come up with the right content and it is very difficult. My results are reasonable but I am a long way away from what I would like to achieve. You have to come up with some good ideas that people will find interesting.

richrf, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  9. note_12

note_12 Peon

Best Answers:
    Good advice thanks - thing is getting links from authority sites to an ecommerce site means paying!

Thing is I've linked up 3 of my sites and the links are showing in the webmaster tools panel, and I'm coming up for the searches higher which to me seems to indicate that its working a little (albeit with easy keywords) - just a little concerned that I might get penalised which I couldn't afford!

note_12, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  10. Prof.stan

Prof.stan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What you thing what is useless?

Prof.stan, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  11. SeekingWisdom

SeekingWisdom Peon

Best Answers:
    SEO has many myths..some proved ..rest unproved.
    It is best only to go for your own experiment.

But in your case..noway those 2-3 websites going to affect positively to your main site even if being on same topic.
    You certainly need link variety...
    As someone rightly said above..google is sophisticated now to recognize any pattern in linking.
    You link variety should be in no of platforms you get links from and no of places(read IP here).

Even if there are quick methods to pumpin 1000 backlinks from any one type of source, google catches on in sometime and your rank affects.
    Exactly same for your question...even if you get 1000 other websites on the same IP and link to your main site on that IP..Trust Google to see the IP diversity of those 1000 backlinks while comparing with another site having same 1000 link but from variety of IP.

this is understood more when we apply common sense to the basic theory of linking from SEO stand point.
    Backlink means ...others loved your site and put a link on their site to yours..( That is what theoritical basis of counting link for SEO ranking)
    Is it possible that 1000 other websites found, loved and linked to you..that too on same host and IP?
    Sounds..weird!!!..right?

So google certianly wont believe this too. so yes ...IP diversity counts a lot for long term ranking.
    You may find spamming to a particular platform gets immediate ranking, but very short term.

This is basically my understanding...but it is not debatable actually among experts..all believe that IP diversity matters.

SeekingWisdom, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  12. weekender

weekender Peon

Best Answers:
    up to 3 links is ok

weekender, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  13. garbin

garbin Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get three different ip, and they have different conetent, it's can help you serp

garbin, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  14. upyougo

upyougo Peon

Best Answers:
    I won't do it from the same class c.
    use several hosting to do so- just in case your efforts will be successful one day
    it cost nothing if you know how to host for seo...-and use grids, not chain like linking :)

upyougo, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  15. quista

quista Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience when I do this with a blogger blog, squidoo lens, and hubpage it tends to do good for my main sites. Just use fresh content and don't add tons of links back to your main sites. It will set off red flags.

quista, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  16. imkazu

imkazu Peon

Best Answers:
    if possible, get different c class IPs
    and also build links to your 3 sites, submit articles with a single link to a site, video marketing, etc.
    that should help up your rankings

imkazu, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  17. deltagci

deltagci Peon

Best Answers:
    IF Google catch your pages listed on link farm then loss you PR.

deltagci, Nov 3, 2010 IP
  18. quiz

quiz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    2 or 3 websites should be oke. Currently have 2 other game related websites that are linking to my main and it works fines.

quiz, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  19. proxy10

proxy10 Peon

Best Answers:
    so this is what you call a "link farm"?

proxy10, Nov 4, 2010 IP
  20. dosak

dosak Peon

Best Answers:
    that's totally not a linkfarm and no it won't hurt your sites.
    It might not count in google. But then it'll count in yahoo so who cares, really?

dosak, Nov 4, 2010 IP