1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are Sub-Domains DEAD????

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by HighRollerT, Oct 23, 2010.

I was thinking about adding a section to my website about adsense. But I am wondering is a subdomain is better or a subfolder at the top level domain.

I know most will say to add the adsense pages to the main domain to increase that website. So my question to that would be what good are subdomains then?

HighRollerT, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  2. Blockis

Blockis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah I've never used subdomains. Although they're cool, I just have no use for them right now. I'd also suggest just add it to the main domain...

Blockis, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  3. Frost1

Frost1 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If the content of your main website is similar to Adsense or PTC advertising networks, etc, then you should use it on the main website.

If it's not the same niche, then create a sub-domain name and use the content on that sub-domain website.

Frost1, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  4. TheDataPlanet.com

TheDataPlanet.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Use subfolder which can be more quickly indexed by Google. Subdomain is just like another separate domain / site. You need to build trust and backlinks separately for it and it's unnecessary extra work.

TheDataPlanet.com, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  5. smallbusinessguy

smallbusinessguy Peon

Best Answers:
    Your question is already answered. However, unless you have an established domain do not opt for subdomain. You will waste your marketing efforts

smallbusinessguy, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  6. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    99.9% of the time you will be better off with sub-folders instead of sub-domains if you're talking about putting up content.

When you create a sub-domain, it is considered a brand new site with a big fat score of ZERO on a lot of ranking factors like domain trust, domain authority, etc. These sub-domains have to start from scratch building their own trust, authority, etc. They cannot "inherit" it from the main domain which likely has already established some trust and authority if it has back links. Similarly, links built pointing to the sub-domain will not benefit the main domain.

By creating sub-folders, the URLs under the sub-folder will get to take advantage of the main domains trust, authority, age, etc. And any links built to those URLs under the sub-folder will contribute to the main domain's trust and authority.

While you might not think this is important... these "domain" level ranking factors:

1) affect the ranking of every URL on the site and
    2) are keyword agnostic....

which means they help EVERY URL rank for EVERY keyword phrase. So when you take their affect on all URLs and keyword phrases as a whole, their affect can make a huge difference for a site and the rankings of its URLs.

Stay away from sub-domains unless you need them to segragate functionality like mail.example.com.

Canonical, Oct 23, 2010 IP
    atniz and HighRollerT like this.
  7. atniz

atniz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nicely said again, Canonical. Well done!

atniz, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  8. HighRollerT

HighRollerT Guest

Best Answers:
    Hey thanks for teh response canonical. The subdomain would be similar to the main level website. So they would be much better off together.

New question

consider my website cool car tuning in my siglink. I wanted to add both a parts section and a wallpapers section. The parts section would be a full online market with a shopping cart.

Would either of these make a good subdomain?

carwallpapers.coolcartuning.com

or

tuningparts.coolcartuning.com

or would I keep the wllpapers as part of the top level??

HighRollerT, Oct 24, 2010 IP