1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Much Capital is Necessary for an Online Venture?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by Madman340, Oct 23, 2010.

I am going to be working towards starting up an online venture (could be anything at this point) but I was wondering what a good goal to work towards would be in terms of startup costs. I was thinking $1,000 as online work doesn't generally cost much, but truly have no idea what I should be aiming for.

As for the venture itself, I don't know exactly what I want to do. It could be a web host, blog... etc. I understand this would make it difficult to give me an estimation... But I am in a situation where I simply don't know what I will be doing, but want to be working toward it with a sense of direction.

Madman340, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  2. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it depends.. there is no fixed price

if you are a coder and a good one you can turn a $0.99 .info in to an empire

If you are dumb you can run a million dollars in to copper in no time

For a blog you don't need more than a .99 .info
    or you may spend $7 to 10 and get a .com

stock_post, Oct 23, 2010 IP
    knaveen192 likes this.
  3. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I think its a little bit of a dumb question to ask if you don't know what you want to do. That's kind of like me saying "how much does it cost for a car. I don't know if I want it used, what kind. Maybe a economic, maybe a luxury car, etc"
    Basically the answer you'll get is between $7 to $30,000.

My first website ever costed me about $60. It was an arcade script.

Laceygirl, Oct 23, 2010 IP
    knaveen192 likes this.
  4. vinsonmax

vinsonmax Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are going for shared hosting, it's probably cost u about $0.50 per month, $6 a year. with a .com domain. another $10? So total cost is around $16 with hosting fees for a year?

vinsonmax, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  5. Madman340

Madman340 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm unsure how you came to the conclusion that a year of hosting would total to $6...

Madman340, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  6. RadioBounce

RadioBounce Banned

Best Answers:
    Assuming you know how to web design which includes coding and designing then the start-up costs will be quite low. All you need is a domain and some decent rock-solid hosting which is fairly easy to obtain at reasonable prices nowadays.

Obviously, if you don't know how to web design then you'd have to hire someone to do that for you and someone to handle the technical side of your business which could cost quite a bit.

As you can see, it helps to know how to code and design when going into an online business but if you have the funds to back yourself up then you'll be fine - you need money to make money right? Take this piece of advice with a pinch of salt, this logic can lease to miserable failure and I take no responsibility if that happens. Ha.

RadioBounce, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  7. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on how much you do yourself and how much you hire other people for. And what type of people you hire.

You could hire a bunch of people for cheap and build a junk site for $50. and it will be worth about $30.(if you can sell it).

Or you could hire a high end development team and build a site from $30,000 - $300,000 (or more) that could be worth $20,000 to Millions or a lifetime of income and possibilities.

averyz, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  8. muffet

muffet Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cost will vary depending upon who you outsource the project too if you don't know how to do the design and development work yourself. Sit down and research the venture you're wanting to start then talk to those who operating that niche or venture you want to go in to find out a rough estimate of their costs providing that they would be willing to share this information with you. Most important thing of all is investigate the background & experience of the person or agency you're considering on hiring to handle your project. Best of luck to you.

muffet, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  9. Robert Kennedy

Robert Kennedy Active Member

Best Answers:
    First you need to know what you want to do and what you hope to acheive. With anything in business a good business plan will make sure you have all your ducks in a row. If you just want to fly by the seat of your pants that can work too, BUT to answer your question starting a online venture is one of the cheapest ways to start a business. You can do it with no money at all by using free tools and perhaps promoting an affiliate program. If you want your own site then you need cash to design it, the domain name and hosting. Then you have to promote your site. With most everything online if you do the work yourself it will cost you nothing or you can pay people to do all, or part of the work for you. I could start up a online venture that pays me through my paypal account with the bare min. - that is a site which i build myself, a domain which costs about $10 bucks, and hosting for less than $10 per month. Then I do all the seo and promo work myself. For a thousand bucks you could really do alot.

Robert Kennedy, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  10. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Zero , Nada , Nothing , Zit . You should never invest in on-line ventures until you know what you're doing . Besides it's very easy to learn some parts of web making yourself .

In other words you should never hire a chef if you don't know how the meal should be made .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  11. jam2320

jam2320 Member

Best Answers:
    Depends on how much you can do on your own for the site. The more you can do, the less you have to spend.

jam2320, Oct 23, 2010 IP
  12. contentboss

contentboss Peon

Best Answers:
    $1.

or $20,000,000

roughly.

contentboss, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  13. Refla

Refla Peon

Best Answers:
    Lmao. Build the page, do the on site work, do the off site work. Doing it all yourself costs nothing. Hiring out can cost a fortune.

Refla, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  14. ApocalypseXL

ApocalypseXL Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Doing it yourself also takes time and if you website will need kick-ass graphics and super cool content you'll have to stock up on coffee and spend some good time to get it to a good start .

ApocalypseXL, Oct 24, 2010 IP
    Grimm likes this.
  15. scriptinstaller

scriptinstaller Peon

Best Answers:
    I know the true answer to this. A lot!. Do it in your spare time. make a commitment, most people who start project never finish it.. They finish the work start it.. contact a couple people get some interest then realize no one see's them and before the success can even start, the person loses interest and quits..

You're problem will be exposure and marketing. $1000 in advertising is compared to a penny to Bill Gates. It's nothing.. Google adsense for a few leads? Try anywhere from .25 to $2 a click...

scriptinstaller, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  16. extraspecial

extraspecial Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on you... if you know how to create websites... you can use that money on advertisement and make lots of money depending on your niche :)

extraspecial, Oct 24, 2010 IP