1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to split single Database into multiple Databases

Discussion in 'MySQL' started by greatme, Oct 19, 2010.

Hello,
    I have very large size Mysql database with large number of users and content.
    I want to split my single huge Database into multiple Databases.

Please let me know how can i split my database into multiple working databases which work for same single website ?

greatme, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  2. mdvaldosta

mdvaldosta Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a rather complex issue, coding wise. Splitting the databases wouldn't be a problem, you can just do a msql dump and put chunks of tables into different db's. The script would need to be rewritten to connect to all databases and use the right database where appropriate. Are you sure you need to do this, I've ran some rather large databases without issue up to a point (a hundred thousand tables and 7 gigs of data in 1 database, for example). Not that I'd recommend it, but it really takes alot of data to start having problems so long as you have enough memory.

mdvaldosta, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  3. rayqsl

rayqsl Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think that this is a good idea unless you absolutely have to do it. You're going to introduce complex coding to decide which database to use and where do you stop - do you add another database each 6 months or year?

If it's a performance problem that you're getting then check to see if you've indexed the database correctly.

rayqsl, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  4. cDc

cDc Peon

Best Answers:
    cDc, Oct 20, 2010 IP