1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Someone stealing my content

Discussion in 'General Business' started by version2, Oct 18, 2010.

Greetings one and all,

This must be a topic that has been raised before, so hopefully there will be a very simple answer to this question (here is hoping!)

Okay so I run a lotto blog...yesterday I wrote this article......this morning Google alerts Pings me to say someone has copied the article and put it on their site.

Arghh so annoying, I spend ages writting fresh unique content for my site. And now someone is copying it onto there site.

Okay so here is what I have done so far....

....Domain Whois... collected the persons email, and sent an email asking for it to be removed. They live in Poland so I hope they can read english, I guess they can as the site is in English.

Following on from the whois...I used the IP to find the hosting company, and have also emailed the abuse department of the hosting company asking for the content to be removed.

Is there anything else I can do? Surely sites can't be allowed just to copy content?

version2, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  2. WorksForWeb

WorksForWeb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you find that another site is duplicating your content, you can file a DMCA request to claim ownership of the content and request removal of the other site from Google's index. Follow this link http://www.google.com/dmca.html

WorksForWeb, Oct 18, 2010 IP
    version2 likes this.
  3. version2

version2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for that, I will be donig this so far no contact from website (who has sinced published 2 more of my articles) or from the hosting company. The hosting company is in the USA,so I guess they are just getting up. I wonder what the odds are that they will remove the content or the site from their hosting.

Am I right in thinking that this will count as duplicate content, and damage my site too?

4. version2

version2 Peon

Best Answers:
    So far 4 articles/post now copied. No response from the webmaster or the host provider. I do find it strange that the host provider is not replying. Ah well I guess now starts what looks like a lengthy DMCA process.

5. joyfulthiek

joyfulthiek Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds like the site that's duplicating your content is an autoblog. The autoblog might have been set up to pull feeds from your site; that way, whenever you publish a new post, it gets automatically published in the autoblog too.

The suggestion given by WorksForWeb sounds like the best thing to do, so far as I know.

joyfulthiek, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  6. Justin_Dupre

Justin_Dupre Peon

Best Answers:
    You should give up on trying to contact the blog owner and file a bunch of paperwork to get it remove asap.

Justin_Dupre, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  7. AlfredSiliano

AlfredSiliano Guest

Best Answers:
    If you believe that the evidence is clear enough, report it as a DMCA violation.

AlfredSiliano, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  8. version2

version2 Peon

Best Answers:
    I sent him a 5 day warning last night, he wont reply. I did get a reply from the hosting company this morning which is a positive step.

I guess as I sent the 5 day warning, I now need to give him/her 5 days, then do the complaint to the SE and IP.

Interesting after researching this, if google agree it is yours. They dont show that page, but display the DMCA complaint letter saying this site is in voliation of copyright law for all to see.

And it continues.....

version2, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  9. --J

--J Peon

Best Answers:
    if you're losing a lot of money, you could try tips.fbi.gov

--J, Oct 19, 2010 IP
  10. webrec

webrec Member

Best Answers:
    Yup DMCA! asking vs. providing the DMCA document is two completely different things. People ignore regular emails and contacts, but DMCA people will listen to as it typically makes you more serious. Instead of telling the bully "stop picking on me" and you are standing alone, its like telling the bully "stop picking on me" -- and you have a big scary guy standing behind you. People dont like lawyers and legal documents, and if you present it and they still ignore seek legal action.

webrec, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  11. mubheer

mubheer Active Member

Best Answers:
    there are feed plugins that automatically fetch content from other websites. but normally they give credit to original website. you can approach search engines to remove them from the index or you can file a petition against the site. as of now, there is no other way we ca challenge this

mubheer, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  12. freebieguru.com

freebieguru.com Active Member

Best Answers:
    you can disable right click on your posts and pages. This can stop content stealing up to some extent, may not help autoblog sw to stop extracting content. There are tools for this, I am using one such tool for my wordpress blog.
    Its a plugin called "Blog Protector Final".

freebieguru.com, Oct 21, 2010 IP
  13. extraspecial

extraspecial Member

Best Answers:
    well whatever you do can not really stop them but may lower...

extraspecial, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  14. kontakt

kontakt Active Member

Best Answers:
    What you can do while the site hasn't been taken down yet is to make sure that the content you posted have actual urls back to your site. In that way, google will know that you are the original source of the article and google can give you credit for the backlink. If those are done by autoblogs, then this setup will work.

kontakt, Oct 24, 2010 IP
  15. laxman363

laxman363 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Become a premium member at copyscape. They will handle the issue

laxman363, Oct 25, 2010 IP
  16. christene20

christene20 Peon

Best Answers:
    dont worry.. where ever your stolen content will be published.. the stealer will suffer in that case for plagerism .... hehehe

christene20, Oct 26, 2010 IP
  17. kipson

kipson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Join a member at Creative Common. They will handle the issue! otherwise you can contact local cyber crime cell.

kipson, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  18. seanyg

seanyg Peon

Best Answers:
    Why are you so upset?

Leave it.

The re-posting of your content won't hurt you as long as your post gets indexed by google first. Big media sites always syndicate each other's content. The person that posted it first gets all of the search engine love. The copier ends up in supplemental results (Google's bin for duplicates).

If you're really concerned about it you can use a plugin for Wordpress (I forget the name) that automatically embeds a link to your site whenever someone copies and pastes anything from your site.

seanyg, Oct 30, 2010 IP
  19. funkywizard

funkywizard Active Member

Best Answers:
    send a DMCA to their hosting provider.

funkywizard, Nov 7, 2010 IP
  20. truejeff

truejeff Peon

Best Answers:
    hi, i'm curious how did you configure the google alert to ping you when the duplicate content is found.

truejeff, Nov 7, 2010 IP