1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

htaccess /file.html -> /file

Discussion in 'Apache' started by Helado, Oct 17, 2010.

Hi,

I am uploading HTML files to my webserver, for example file.html. This page is accessed through www.site.com/file.html - I want it as www.site.com/file without the .html. Well, I've got the code for that which is as follows...

RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME}\.html -f
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ $1.html

Code (markup):
    So if I go to www.site.com/file it shows the page. However, I now have to URLs: /file.html and /file - if Google sees both of these it will think it's a duplicate page, so how do I sort this? I tried making file.html redirect to file, but that causes a looping error. I just want the page/file to be accessible via www.site.com/file and NOT www.site.com/file.html

Would appreciate some help.

Helado, Oct 17, 2010 IP
  2. kmap

kmap Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    dont use the link anywhere /file.html

simple

Regards

Alex

kmap, Oct 17, 2010 IP
  3. Helado

Helado Peon

Best Answers:
    I was thinking that, so long as Google doesn't find it then that'll be OK. Thanks.

Helado, Oct 17, 2010 IP
  4. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Life will be easier if you do the exact opposite, and force everything to include the .html instead of what you're trying to do. I don't know where to begin on my list of headaches that I've gotten rid of by not trying to get rid of file extensions. :)

joebert, Oct 20, 2010 IP