1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The future of dedicated servers?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by BeeLee, Sep 28, 2010.

What do you guys think is the future of the dedicated servers market? It seems like more and more people purchase VPS' instead of dedicated servers... In some cases this is just a small step leading to a dedicated server, but others just stick with the VPS.

I never really understood the advantages of a VPS anyways... Mind to share some thoughts?

BeeLee, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  2. DomainCo.US

DomainCo.US Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    VPS are cheaper compared to dedi, less powerful.

It's like comparing toyota to a lexus

DomainCo.US, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  3. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    Nice comparison. I believe those web hosting solutions can be used for various targets.

~ServerPoint~, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  4. ankurTheKing

ankurTheKing Member

Best Answers:
    People will go for cloud server instances instead of VPS- My opinion

ankurTheKing, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  5. anands

anands Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Cloud is far better than VPS and Dedi, You can start with a resource like a VPS and grow to a level more powerful than a dedicated server.

anands, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  6. ankurTheKing

ankurTheKing Member

Best Answers:
    My favorite is Bate Metal Server technology

ankurTheKing, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  7. pkennedy5

pkennedy5 Peon

Best Answers:
    As we see google put more attention towards speedy pages, we'll see people move away from slower servers. Even if they only have a limited amount of traffic, to avoid a speed penalty most will pay the premium to get something faster.

Cloud is pretty fast, for those that require super fast, we'll see more dedicated though.

pkennedy5, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  8. blowingideas

blowingideas Peon

Best Answers:
    There's no way dedicated server will be out in this market.
    Think of the big companies/sites, they're all using dedicated server. Not just 1 physical server, but multiple servers which are clustered. VPS will only fit for you if resources that you will be using won't be that much.

blowingideas, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  9. pkennedy5

pkennedy5 Peon

Best Answers:
    Dedicated isn't the same as colo. Large companies purchase colo space and build their own servers. This is different from a dedicated server and different from a cloud instance.

Cloud won't let you build to a better instance than dedicated, I do a lot of work here. They aren't bad servers, but they are by no means better than a dedicated. Virtual servers over multiple CPU's still aren't the best solution, and IO is often the bottle neck here, sharing memory bandwidth and disk IO.

Most dedicated servers are severely lacking in one area or another. They're designed in such a way that you never get a well rounded computer. You get lots of memory and cpu, but a poor disk system. Or a slower cpu, lots of ram and a decent disk backend. You never see the best of all worlds.

Colo allows you to build specific machines for your needs.

pkennedy5, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  10. matrigaldo

matrigaldo Peon

Best Answers:
    I think dedicated, vps and colo have different targets.
    Unless colocated servers will become cheaper and easier, i think dedicated servers will have future for their targeted users, as well as VPS (a cheap alternative, not so bad) or colocated.

But if google is really starting to value even the speed of a website... well, colocated would be the right solution i think.

matrigaldo, Oct 18, 2010 IP
  11. pkennedy5

pkennedy5 Peon

Best Answers:
    From what I've seen many of the dedicated offerings aren't that much better than cloud style systems. I think we'll find more people in the cloud than on dedicated. Colo scales best when you've got multiple servers and it's worth while having redundancy and other backups. It's far more intensive in terms of management and planning though. Server build out, maintenance, capacity planning and power consumption can be difficult for just a small company.

pkennedy5, Oct 18, 2010 IP