1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Google Hiding Something By Not Updating Toolbar Pagerank?

Discussion in 'Google' started by lakelandprinting, Oct 15, 2010.

I'm beginning to think that Google made some sort of mistake and they don't want us (particularly the spammers) to know about it.

Since social media has taken off I'm sure they've been trying to figure out a way to spread authority from nofollow links. If you think about it, it would be wise to come up with something.

I'll be the first to say i don't care much about pagerank, but I do care when I am getting backlinks. Plus I like to see how pagerank flows to my inner pages.

This is what I think: Google tried something that backfired, and it gave authority to pages it shouldn't have. For this reason, they aren't updating the public snapshot of pagerank.

You have to admit..it sounds feasible? Any thoughts?

lakelandprinting, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  2. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I would say your reasoning makes sense... more than 6 months no update, that's very weird.

xc06, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  3. tornado!

tornado! Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google's PR delay simply allows those with dropped domain to pimp their fake PR for a longer period of time.

tornado!, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  4. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think tat it might be possible since they have given my non-active blog a pr 3. I never did any backlinking from that site ever since I started accepting paid reviews from that site. It is full of sponsored reviews.

Chancey, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  5. Rivmedia

Rivmedia Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Not really , Google also done this in 2007 which they eventually updated after 181 days on october 27th , Granted this one is slightly logner with something like 210 days but i believe its the same reason as back in 2007 , Big changes in algo and the change in the way they looked at certain sites, Back then it was the penalisation of Paid directories as we knew it. What's next ?.........who knows ;)

Rivmedia, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  6. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree. G makes minor and major changes to their algorithm perhaps dozens of times a year. Sometimes things don't go as well as they'd like, so they roll it back. It takes 2 or 3 days to roll back a change, not 2 or 3 months.

My *guess* is that they are allowing PR to die. If there are no toolbar updates and it seems 'broken' people will lose interest. Sometimes, doing nothing is an effective strategy.

If they decided to remove PR completely, they would have a riot to contend with. Every blogger would be talking about how awful Google is by taking away their importance rating. That's a whole lot of negative press. Instead, they can allow PR to slowly fade into the backguound and not have to deal with the issue at all.

longcall911, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  7. anilkumar2010

anilkumar2010 Guest

Best Answers:
    Don't rely on Google PR, it has no effect in search result if your website has good keywords and related title, google magnet your website in his first page. Better to concentrate on building links. Google has already declared that search results are not based on PR.

anilkumar2010, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  8. MakZF

MakZF Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Logically, they should just axe PR. It serves little to no purpose for the average internet user. The only people who care about it these days are link sellers.

MakZF, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  9. tyler_durden

tyler_durden Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe PR is dead... Like many ideas, spammers bludgeoned it to death and it has not served any real purpose for years. Google is just letting it die a slow death I believe...

tyler_durden, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  10. Lovely

Lovely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I also believe that there is something going on about PR update which Google is hide about PR update.

Lovely, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  11. JeddahBikers

JeddahBikers Guest

Best Answers:
    I believe that Google wants us to forget about that green-bar and focus on quality content.

Good luck all

JeddahBikers, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  12. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    I think they are definitely cooking somethin. But whatever it is, it is still very FAR from adequate. I'm sure of that.

Spammy, low quality websites still rule the roost in the majority of cases that I see right this moment. Some of them are sitting at no 1 for a long time, all because they knew how to manipulate Google with their backlinks.

And Google comes up with a crappy change like Instant....instead of addressing the real issues. :rolleyes:

Reviewz, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  13. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Google's attitude to toolbar PR updates has always been, it's something that gets done when someone remembers to do it. They afford it so little importance - this is Matt Cutts from 4 years ago - and in the intervening time, they've not given it any more importsnce
    http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/more-info-on-pagerank/
    "It’s not a big event here at Google. Frankly, I didn’t even know we’d done our 3-4 month-ish push of this data."

magda, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  14. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    I also think it is sign that PR is no longer imprtant and should not be exposed to public. All it did is just created wrong perception about good and bad website, created link trading and other techniques that google is fighting with. Taking PR out of public access will partially resolve the issues and will endup the linking industry.

Montreal Classifieds, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  15. CountryBoy

CountryBoy Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree entirely.
    PR is pretty meaningless. Good sites have terrible PR, terrible sites have good PR.
    There's even less logic behind it then there was.
    Traffic counts; arbitrary PR values do not.

CountryBoy, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  16. Herron

Herron Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I think it is more to do with link trading and search engine manipulation. They have mentioned in the past the propblems it has caused.

Herron, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  17. fgogo

fgogo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google hide a many many things. Toolbar pagerank is not same as true page rank and anchor page rank. In last time google changed counting PR, now all links with "no-follow" atribute are lose a part of PR, earlier NOT. Finally, if you have outgoing backlinks, doesn't matter - with follow or no-follow atribute, you'll lost a bit rank. From this reason Wikipedia.org have high PR at many many subpages, they only received PR but not share with nobody by use the no-follow atribute.

fgogo, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  18. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe google still have PR in them system and play a big role but they do not want public to access it any more

DoDo Me, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  19. gameutopia

gameutopia Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't be surprised if they changed something that didn't work out and now they are trying to fix it. Something is a little strange after so much time has passed. There has been extended amount of time go by before an update in the past, but it doesn't happen very often. Which makes one wonder what is up.

gameutopia, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  20. acca

acca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Interesting ideas here in whole thread. There may be some bigger changes regarding PR. Anyway, we see more and more changes on Google these year, so we can expect everything about PR, too.

acca, Oct 16, 2010 IP