1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My First blog - does it meet the standard?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by tecksell, Oct 14, 2010.

Hi Guys,

I am currently in the process of creating my first ever blog (http://completebodytoning.blogspot.com/) that I plan to place my sales links on. The niche is within the "lose fat and gain muscle" or "exercise/healthy eating" category. I have published my first post the other day and before I continue I would appreciate some advice/feedback on my methods.

I consider myself passionate enough to write about this niche as I am really into this kind of thing. I have tons of content planned for the blog and Im also in the process of creating my first 10 articles to be submitted in article directories once I have put more info into my blog.

My questions:

- Do you think I have chosen the wrong niche due to how competitive it is? Is my method correct but just need a less competitive niche? (realistically)

- Do you think the content of my blog is along the lines of the quality it is meant to be?

Any feedback or constructive criticism is much appreciated.
    Regards

tecksell, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  2. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    Get your own domain.

JoesMillion, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  3. ZachF

ZachF Guest

Best Answers:
    Werd. Your own domain is quite necessary for a remotely successful blog; .COM preferrably.

ZachF, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  4. ajivets75

ajivets75 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    i agree about that. you can make your own domain. more and more.

ajivets75, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  5. Dataj

Dataj Guest

Best Answers:
    I concur with the previous posters, you should at least buy a .com domain and keep reading up on this forum for tips on developing your site. You need way more content as well, but I liked the general idea of what was on your site (utilizing your body-weight for resistance for example) as it is solid, low cost, and very helpful.
    As a dyed in the wool capitalist, I do not believe ANY niche is a poor choice if you think you can turn a profit due to some innate superior advantage, just be aware that the longer an item or idea has been on the market, the higher the potential competition for that market becomes (and conversely, the lower the profit margins are, especially for new entrants to that particular market segment...).

Dataj, Oct 14, 2010 IP
  6. Tarum

Tarum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey,

The site looks user friendly, non spammy and that you can learn a lot from it.

I recommend you to, when you have more posts, categorize them somehow (like I did on my blog)

I have my blog hosted on Blogger too, I earn 200$+ per month from Adsense and Amazon so it is possible to earn with a free host. Especially if it's google.

After 8 months of blogging, I bought my own domain. I wish I did it before (but had no Paypal). I had to edit 1000 of links on my site linking to other topics on my site, then all the previous backlinks were useless and I lost my position in google.

So if you can, buy it as soon as possible. But even with a free domain, you can get succesful (http://strobist.blogspot.com - great content, 10k visitors daily).

Tarum, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  7. tecksell

tecksell Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments and tips guys.

... yeah, I already have a few .com domains but I thought I would try my hand at the whole blogging thing. Seems I should just keep to .com!

Maybe after a few months blogging and getting some traffic in, if I wanted to produce a .com page to tie in with the same topic, could I not still use my blog page to take the traffic that it is getting and feed it to my more advanced .com page?

tecksell, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  8. Tarum

Tarum Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can redirect but that's all. Your previous links won't count as anything (like backlinks) and you'll have to edit all URL's in your posts that link to your other posts which takes a lot of time.

Just my experience ;)

Tarum, Oct 15, 2010 IP
    tecksell likes this.
  9. tecksell

tecksell Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks alot for the input tarum. Its greatly appreciated

tecksell, Oct 15, 2010 IP
  10. satryoadhie

satryoadhie Peon

Best Answers:
    yup,, i agree.. get your own domain..

satryoadhie, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  11. MarketingForNewcomers

MarketingForNewcomers Peon

Best Answers:
    Looks good. I agree with thinking about getting your own domain and having your site a little more professional looking. Another thing is you should think about having an opt-in form on your site. When people sign up, offer something of value for free, like an ebook pertaining to your niche. By offering value and connecting with people who sign up to your list they will more likely buy from you later on. Keep up the good work!

MarketingForNewcomers, Oct 16, 2010 IP
  12. tecksell

tecksell Peon

Best Answers:
    I have developed the site abit more now, there are more pages.... I am adding to it day by day. And, I have noticed with doing so and spending some time doing abit of back linking, I am getting more and more traffic as the days pass by :)
    When I have more content published I am going to start building a site on a domain I have bought and use the traffic to promote it.

tecksell, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  13. PHPGator

PHPGator Banned

Best Answers:
    You are better off spending the extra $10 and getting a domain and some hosting and then starting from there. The site and content look good, but I think you will regret the decision of sticking with blogspot in the long run.

PHPGator, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  14. seo.vijay

seo.vijay Member

Best Answers:
    domain is required.

seo.vijay, Oct 20, 2010 IP
  15. tecksell

tecksell Peon

Best Answers:
    domain purchased! now for the next step! whatever that is... lol

tecksell, Oct 20, 2010 IP