1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Alexa Toolbar

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by plzzzr, Oct 12, 2010.

Anyone else install the Alexa Toolbar ?

it's very interesting as you surf the net to see the Alexa ranking for each site
    you visit....It's amazing to me that some blogs rank as they do...if you don't have Alexa Toolbar, you might
    like to try it.

I haven't yet looked into the algorythms (spelling), of how they determine a sites rankings.

I do find it interesting the way my site can be ranked in the millions and move up by the 100's every day.

Glenn Beck started theblaze.com and it took off like a rocket right away....of course he's more popular than me......lol.

Any experts on these rankings ?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2010
    plzzzr, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  2. ajwalsh

ajwalsh Peon

Best Answers:
    I use it. It is a convenient way to get a feel for the sites your browsing, as well as your own progress.

The rankings are basically based on how many people view a certain site with the toolbar installed. To account for all users, they extrapolate from that info to make an estimate. When you get into the millions, it's very unlikely to be accurate and it's pretty easy to manipulate.

I'm no expert, though, so anyone feel free to correct or add more.

ajwalsh, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  3. JoesMillion

JoesMillion Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't use it, but I'm curious why anyone would use it.

JoesMillion, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  4. samortan

samortan Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I had installed it on my system. It is really helpful , It let me know the amount of traffic and other details of my as well as other sites.

samortan, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  5. ked38

ked38 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, my friends use the alexa tool bar to check site ranks.

Or use: http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/google.com# by a making little php script to check.
    Just replace the domain name between the '/' and '#' symbol and put on your page.Sound handy. :)

ked38, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  6. ajwalsh

ajwalsh Peon

Best Answers:
    Even though it isn't a perfect metric, it's still a pretty popular way to determine a site's relative traffic and thus value for advertising and link-exchange purposes. You'll see people say, "yeah, I'll link to you if your alexa rank is below 1 million" or something like that.

ajwalsh, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  7. bonjour123

bonjour123 Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah i have it .. I have alexa sparky.. It tells me the rankings and has a graph for it. I know there is something fishy when people sell advertising space in DP very expensive, but looking at the rankings its not worth it . LOL

bonjour123, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  8. Victoria B

Victoria B Peon

Best Answers:
    Please remember that Alexa's rank is based only on the Alexa's toolbar users.

Cheers!

Victoria B, Oct 13, 2010 IP