1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How does Google handle multilingual backlinks?

Discussion in 'Google' started by RumpledElf, Oct 1, 2010.

I watch my referrers for the dictionary, and I'm noticing that every couple of days, some blogger or other site writes about it and posts a backlink. That's very nice and all, but maybe 1/4 of those links are not English. They look like perfectly legit websites not just random crap sites, from the images/style they seem to be relevant sites, but I can't understand a word of them. We're talking Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, various script languages not just European ones.

I've never had an English site get non-English backlinks before. Do I actually get backlink juice from these?

Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
    RumpledElf, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  2. yasha78

yasha78 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Logically speaking, it shouldn't matter.

It just means that your site might pop up in searches for someone who enters a query in that particular language.

yasha78, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  3. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ok, that's an interesting point, and should be obvious ... people are giving me anchor text in other languages as well as English. It is *really* easy to spot English links in a page with script texts.

How common is it to get backlinks that aren't in the same language as your site anyway?

RumpledElf, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  4. onetrickaday

onetrickaday Peon

Best Answers:
    thats good , you are getting links to boost your ranking on that particular domain , say japanses boosts for google.jp search engine

onetrickaday, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  5. bogs

bogs Active Member

Best Answers:
    yup it doesn't matter.. it depends on the quality of links..

bogs, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  6. WordpressSEO

WordpressSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    they are probably scraping and translating

WordpressSEO, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  7. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    if your site is English, and you have other language anchor. Google has a good translator and they will count the other language anchor on which the English means.

I am saying this because one of my site rank on one for weird keywords that I never write on the page and mention or build back links in any way. Since I know few words on other language, later I figure out the keywords is translated. And this story is about last year.

DoDo Me, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  8. stampavideo

stampavideo Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yes, you do get 100% link juice and page rank.

What you'll rank for, however, is the anchor text. So it's not that useful if you get an anchor with maisons and you want to rank for houses. But they are backlinks and may even be good backlinks (tons of sites in europe link to english sites, mainly in tech niches).

stampavideo, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  9. veroxii

veroxii Peon

Best Answers:
    Use google chrome. When I go to websites in different languages, it offers to translate it for you automatically on the fly. Also, as the others have said, yes even foreign language links will count towards your PR.

veroxii, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  10. FPForum

FPForum Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    I have also heard that it's true getting backlinks in other extensions may help you rank for that extension..For example, getting a number of .DE backlinks will help your rankings in Google.de....But as someone else said, what really matters is what your anchor text is. If you are getting a link from a .DE site that uses "houses" in german for the anchor text, this should help you rank higher in google.de for the term "houses" in german.

FPForum, Oct 5, 2010 IP
  11. Levp

Levp Peon

Best Answers:
    All of the above is sound. i wouldn't worry about it too much - you're creating good content that people want to share. Keep it up

Levp, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  12. mdamin76

mdamin76 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's treated as a backlink, but it's hard to tell whether they are relevant backlinks due to difference of language.

mdamin76, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  13. Lalamaple

Lalamaple Active Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter because google itself is multilingual ...

Just do your best in getting your websites to rank in any language!

Lalamaple, Oct 6, 2010 IP