1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

10 SEO tips for better rankings

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by simpseo, Oct 6, 2010.

These are my top 10 tips for getting good rankings, based on what I have taught myself about SEO. They are more about strategy rather than me feeding you with garbage info on how to get 200 links to your site in five minutes. I’m actually not an SEO, I don’t offer this service – I just use it to rank my own sites.

1. Pretty much all types of link building works, from the best form of link building (natural, in-content links on high PR pages with good anchor text) right down to the bottom of the barrel links (blog comments, profile links, mass article submission, link wheels)

2. What matters more than anything is how you execute the link building plan, especially with bottom of the barrel links. If you’re getting a load of bottom of the barrel type links, you need to know how to properly execute this strategy, otherwise you could get yourself dumped out of the money making positions in the SERPs.

3. Paid links are a huge money drain if you just leap in and start buying links without a strategy. Many of them get discounted, but the good news is that there are ways to buy links which are powerful and less risky. Probably the safest way to "buy" links is to purchase some from well-indexed, spam-free directories (if you can afford it, it's probably better to do this than mass submit with the same titles/descriptions).

4. Distribution of dofollow and nofollow links: You don’t need nofollow links to make your link profile look “natural”. Well over 95% of my links are dofollow, yet this doesn’t negatively affect rankings.

5. Anchor text distribution: You can rank a page without any anchor text variation at all, but it doesn’t always work. The best strategy for anyone worrying about anchor text distribution is to target one key phrase and then target derivatives of that phrase on the same page. So you can start with widgets, then best widgets, best blue widgets etc.

6. It’s too tempting to over-optimise on-page factors. You can rank for keywords which are not in your title, not in your H1 tags and not even on the page, so don’t obsess about trying to stuff too many keywords in, forsaking the readability of the page.

7. Think about a good linking structure, especially if you have more than 100 pages. If you’re running Wordpress, get plugins to help you interlink the different pages/posts on your site.

8. Think ahead, way ahead. Think about what you might be doing in one or two years from now and put the foundations in place. It will be a lot easier to rank a site which has been indexed for some time than it is to put up a new site and start throwing links at it straight away.

9. If you’re going to spam (blog comments, forum profiles etc.) be smart about it. Think about how you can get past moderation and consider the fact that it looks fishy if you pick up a couple of hundred links one day and then the next they are removed.

10. Experiment. Don’t take my word for it, or anyone elses. Put up a test site or two, throw different links at it, change the structure of it and see what happens. Most people who tell you that something doesn’t work either haven’t tried it or haven’t executed it properly.

simpseo, Oct 6, 2010 IP
    CCK and Jim4767 like this.
  2. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Some sensible points listed. Point 10 is also very true. Just because the OP has written 9 previous points they are not neccesarily proven fact. You will read many commentators that say don't do this always do that. Why not test it yourself and see. Rep added.

CCK, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  3. billdodgeseo2

billdodgeseo2 Peon

Best Answers:
    nofollow links don't actually help your page rank or anything do they? its just to keep your link profile looking natural correct?

billdodgeseo2, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  4. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Is that a fact or have you tested this?

CCK, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  5. billdodgeseo2

billdodgeseo2 Peon

Best Answers:
    it was a question. that is what i have read and been led to understand. Im wondering if anyone does know this as fact or not.

6. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks and yes, this is exactly what I meant. What I said above was just my opinions and observations based on my own experiences. It's up to other people to test whether these are true or not.

Well, I was trying to make the point that nofollow links are unnecessary. The idea of having to have a "natural" link building profile is somewhat overblown, in my opinion.

simpseo, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  7. dougadam

dougadam Active Member

Best Answers:
    "1. Pretty much all types of link building works"

I disagree, If you link to a bad neighbor it will have a negative impact.

dougadam, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  8. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    And you are right to question it? That was the point that i made earlier. Always seek proof-

If someone says no follow are useless ask them to prove it. Show two sites with similar linking strategies where one has an extra 200/300/400 etc. no follow links and prove they did no better and both sites rank equally.

Please do not misunderstand me I am not saying no follow are good or bad. I am simply saying I do not know but I do not tell people one way or the other.

CCK, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  9. billdodgeseo2

billdodgeseo2 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry i misread what you were trying to say with that point it all makes sense now. Thank you i didn't believe that they had any impact.

10. cynthiaho

cynthiaho Peon

Best Answers:
    #10 is definitely true. Always believe facts ONLY!

cynthiaho, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  11. CCK

CCK Active Member

Best Answers:
    Prove it :) :) Just teasing.

CCK, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  12. billdodgeseo2

billdodgeseo2 Peon

Best Answers:
    right i don't believe a no follow link would ever hurt. Its possible they could help but iv never seen any proof.

13. simpseo

simpseo Active Member

Best Answers:
    That's not link building, that's adding links to your own site. I'm talking about linking to your site from OTHER sites. And in any case, you can always use nofollow to negate the impact of linking to bad sites.
    lol - I know you tease, but this whole nofollow stuff leaves people pretty confused. I wasn't saying they have zero impact (although I do doubt they help rankings in any way at all), just that it's unnecessary to go chasing them in the hope that you have a more "natural" looking link profile.

simpseo, Oct 6, 2010 IP
  14. oferkalfa2002

oferkalfa2002 Peon

Best Answers:
    First piece of information here that is really really true and very interesting. man !! right on. really enjoyed readying through it and most of what you said if not all is true . have done alot of it too.

oferkalfa2002, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  15. andrewbernes

andrewbernes Peon

Best Answers:
    i am agree with your post and really thankful to your for sharing nice seo tips.

andrewbernes, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  16. internetproz

internetproz Peon

Best Answers:
    Pretty nice post i really think that this methods are true and really helpful in order to get better rakings.

internetproz, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  17. hostpole.com

hostpole.com Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice tips, One should refrain from buying links coz they can empty your wallet too fast, free methods are good if you know how to do it.

hostpole.com, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  18. techguruz

techguruz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks man... really nice and helpful tips....

techguruz, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  19. dilzsaran

dilzsaran Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Nice Info thanks for sharing

dilzsaran, Oct 12, 2010 IP
  20. temp2

temp2 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    thank for c-n-p tips, can u tell me your results in SEO wars?

temp2, Oct 13, 2010 IP