1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Problem contacting owner of domain to buy it

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by stephenmunday, Oct 2, 2006.

I am interested in a particular domain name and would like to buy it. According to the WayBackMachine, the site at that domain has had no activity for almost a year. Trying to access the site itself results in a message that says, "The hosting for this domain name has expired".

I did a DNS search and found the email of the registrant. I emailed him and the email did get through, but it was a Yahoo email, and he may have been using it as a throwaway account, so I am not hopeful about a response. I could try the physical address with a letter, I suppose. I could also try to backorder the domain, but it is not due to expire for a while and I really do not want to wait that long.

Does anyone know a good way to proceed in this kind of situation to speed things up?

stephenmunday, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  2. loress

loress Peon

Best Answers:
    you could try http://whois.domaintools.com/domainnamehere.com and see if you can contact one of the other contacts (admin, billing, technical).

I have had success with the technical contact before... In once case the tech contact was the host company and if it's a smallish one (host company), and you tell them why you want to contact the owners they may give you another email address.

Good luck :)

loress, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  3. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    Unfortuantely all the tech, admin and other contacts are the same.

That is a good idea about contacting the hosting co., though. Perhaps they will help.

4. Dave Zan

Dave Zan Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They're not going to give you the domain registrant's contact details if that's
    what you're thinking. Only a foolish host who doesn't know better would do
    that if they're not concerned with protecting their clients' information.

Try everything. Email, phone, snail mail, backorder.

There's no surefire fast way of buying a domain name from someone else. But
    you got options.

Dave Zan, Oct 2, 2006 IP
  5. stephenmunday

stephenmunday Peon

Best Answers:
    I have contacted the hosting provider just out of frustration, but no response and perhaps I won't get any either.

Also contacted GoDaddy, where the domain is registered, and they said I had pretty much done everything I could do.

The only avenues left are snail mail and backorder, so I will try those.