1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Specific Niche vs General Blog?

Discussion in 'Blogging' started by Bupler, Sep 15, 2010.

Hello!

I have been making blogs for a while but have been extremely unsuccessful. After some research, I decided to remake one. I have a question though and would like your opinions about it:

Is it better to have a blog build around one specific niche? Like Computer technology? Or is it okay to build a blog about Everything, from computers to novels?

In your opinions, which one would you think would generate more traffic and become more successful? Or is this only one small part of blogging and making your blog search engine optimized is the most important (like 90% important)?

Bupler, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  2. digisecrets

digisecrets Active Member

Best Answers:
    Go for Specific niche Blogs! That Will Gain you More Traffic and u can Concentrate more and Produce Good Articles!

I will give a Suggestion Apple and Design are Good Niches !

digisecrets, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  3. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you! But wait,
    Do you mean I will get more traffic because of more contents? I am a little confused but wont a wider range of topics bring you more variety of visitors? Or does it not work like that and the more content on a specific topic you have, the better search engines will rank you?

thanks for your reply too!

Bupler, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  4. joshuthomas

joshuthomas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hello friend...

There is only one rule in blogging that i have found personally to be successfull in my life. Its " unique content" So content is the King. have content that is not shared by other blogs and share good info.

plus i suggest niche blogs.

cheers
    Josh

joshuthomas, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  5. andyro

andyro Member

Best Answers:
    As mentioned, unique content is vitally important. I've also noticed that blogs which dedicate themselves to a particular niche do really well. For instance, you can write unique content about a particular niche and then sell products, ads etc on that niche itself.

andyro, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  6. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    Wow, thanks guys! Buy sorry 1 more question!

According to the above responses, does it mean Unique Content > blog promotion?

Bupler, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  7. sameer@10

sameer@10 Peon

Best Answers:
    IMHO

Don't spread yourself too thin . It usually happens in a blog on general topic. So a blog that sticks to one topic but , not too narrow in which you might run out of topics to post might be the right way.

:)

sameer@10, Oct 1, 2010 IP
  8. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    Hmm, thank you Semeer@10 and others too! Guess like I will try to stick into a more narrow topic instead of all-in-one.

If any other starters have any questions please feel free to ask here too! These guys will definitely help you too!

Bupler, Oct 2, 2010 IP
  9. perrysperspective

perrysperspective Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, an original niche that is for the most part untapped has the biggest chance of getting traffic quickly. That said, good luck finding any niche that is "untapped."

Personally, I blog for fun and this has worked very well so far. Sure, my visitors aren't held together by any particular interest other than what I have to say, but their attention to what I publish is guaranteed.

perrysperspective, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  10. Miguel82

Miguel82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I would recommend finding a niche you are interested in, this way it will be a) easier to write b) easier to set up ads to target your audience.

Creating a general blog maybe be easier to find things to talk about but making money will be very difficult.

Find a niche you are interested in, start writing and post related ads. Then start getting some traffic!

Miguel82, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  11. sandie_nicole

sandie_nicole Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I highly agree with Miguel, find a topic that's within your interest, adding content for your blog will be easier.
    With regards to specific blog and general blog, this will depend on your purpose. If your aim is to make money through blogging, go for specific niche and target the right visitors and boost your traffic.

sandie_nicole, Oct 3, 2010 IP
  12. Sweely

Sweely Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Niche-targeted blogs are the shit. General blogs never have, and never will, work out.

Sweely, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  13. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    I just started a specific niche, but realized the Ads for that niche are almost always nowhere relevant :( Traffic seems to be a little hard to get too

Bupler, Oct 4, 2010 IP
  14. jhng000

jhng000 Peon

Best Answers:
    it is better to have a specific blog than a generalized blog. because a specific topic would be easier to discuss that generalized one

jhng000, Oct 9, 2010 IP
  15. Yelena

Yelena Member

Best Answers:
    it is possible to do both, but niche blogs tend to perform better. If you have several topics you want to write about it's better to have several niche blogs then mixing everything into one.
    With niche blog you'll have better chances of attracting high quality traffic and retaining your audience.

Yelena, Nov 1, 2010 IP
  16. Bupler

Bupler Member

Best Answers:
    Wow this is from so long ago I just noticed from my email notification.:)

Thanks everyone for the help out! After reading a lot about this and SEO I decided to go with small niches because after cramming the Internet and Google, I realized that I will almost have no specific keywords for a general blog and therefore no keyword ranking :(

Things are going out slow though, not a lot of traffic either. Hope new people reading this thread will get a good general idea too!

--> Btw 1 question, rankings are based on domains right? If I get a very good ranking and suddenly decide to change host (and delete all data, just example), I will still be ranking well if I use the same url for my pages right? From what I read I think that is the case, but I never found a situation just like that where the database is completely deleted.

Bupler, Nov 2, 2010 IP
  17. sonasathish

sonasathish Member

Best Answers:
    Niche blogging is more powerful than a general blog. With a niche blog of your interest you can write things in a sequence, where as in a general blog you can't do that. Also monetizing a niche blog is pretty easy too.

sonasathish, Nov 2, 2010 IP