1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What is "anchor text"?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by quatto, Sep 28, 2010.

I am being told by several people to make my targeted keywords anchor text.

Can someone explain to me what anchor text is and if I am not running a static homepage, how do I have anchor text?

quatto, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  2. dearali

dearali Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I dont know whether you know it or not ,but it looks like you are using it atleast in your signature. It is the link text which connects to linked site. for example in your signature you have "Training BJJ" as anchor text connecting to http://trainingbjj.com/ .

dearali, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  3. DoA

DoA Peon

Best Answers:
    anchor text is the clickable text. The idea is to have static links to your homepage eg.

This is the clickable anchor text

Where none.com is your homepage URL (regardless of the static / dynamic nature of your content).

DoA, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  4. lukeg32

lukeg32 Peon

Best Answers:
    lukeg32, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  5. quatto

quatto Peon

Best Answers:
    So if I understand this right. I would want anchor text linking back to my home page throughout my own site?

In an article that resides on another page besides the home page I would anchor some text that if clicked would bring me back to the home page?

Am I making sense?

quatto, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  6. lukeg32

lukeg32 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well no;

Deeplinking is just as important as getting backlinks to your entry page. Not only can you make it easier for the visitor to find what they are after but the search engines love it too. You should also build backlinks to internal pages since almost always you will have a 'home' link anyway, and the link juice should flow throughout your site where possible.

http://www.im-wizard.com/why-you-should-use-a-good-internal-link-structure/

lukeg32, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  7. quatto

quatto Peon

Best Answers:
    So where would the "static links to my homepage" be? On my site? other sites?

quatto, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  8. lukeg32

lukeg32 Peon

Best Answers:
    Primarily; focus on getting backlinks to your website. Use the anchor text (see above) and create a link to your entry page. A good way of doing this is through article marketing; create an article, publish it in various article directories (ezine articles for example). In your author bio you are usually allowed 2-3 backlinks. Create one with your keyword phrase as the anchor text to your entry page; create another as the keyword phrase you are targetting at an article on your website.

There are plenty of other ways to build backlinks to your site; some examples

http://www.im-wizard.com/how-to-get-backlinks-to-your-website/

Also; bear in mind that on your site, wether its a navigation menu, footer link, header link, image or other, you will almost always have a link to the "home" page. This will also count on the inner pages but is less important than backlinks/anchor text from other sites.

lukeg32, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  9. girjeshSEO

girjeshSEO Peon

Best Answers:
    Anchor text is the hyperlinked words on a web page. The words you click on when you click a link.
    Here's an example, SEO, in which "SEO" is the anchor text.
    Anchor text usually gives your visitors useful information about the content of the page you're linking to.

girjeshSEO, Sep 28, 2010 IP
  10. andrewbernes

andrewbernes Peon

Best Answers:
    you should generate back links for that specific keywords that will be helpful.

andrewbernes, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  11. forumdude

forumdude Peon

Best Answers:
    search it on wiki there a good description there

forumdude, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  12. Davidbarter

Davidbarter Peon

Best Answers:
    anchor ext means linking your website with your keyword. we use an html code for anchoring text. you can also anchor your key in MS word by selecting the keyword ..than right click and hyperlinking....

Davidbarter, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  13. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    lukeg32 has explained it pretty well (+rep added), but I'm not sure whether you got it. Let's explain it very briefly:

1. The anchor text is the text that is shown that is part of hyperlink (like in your signature) and that when you click it brings you to a specific page (not necessarily your home page).

2. The importance of the anchor is that search engines consider the anchor text as a keyword. Thus, if somebody searches for "Training BJJ", search engines will remember that the site http://www.trainingbjj.com/ is associated to that particular keyword (because you have the keyword "Training BJJ" as the anchor text of the link pointing to your site in your signature).

3. The more links you have with that anchor text pointing to your site, the better you will score for that keyword in the search engines.

4. You can use the anchor text on YOUR site to link within your site to pages that might perhaps not be found otherwise by the search engines, and at the same time associate a keyword to that particular page. This is called internal deep linking, and it is highly advisable to easily navigate your site and make sure it's fully indexed by the SE's.

5. You can use an anchor text on OTHER sites to get backlinks to your site, and associate your site to a specific keyword. BUT do not commit the mistake to link ONLY to your main site. You can also perform external deep linking to specific pages on your website to promote specific pages on your site.

6. Make sure that the anchor text is useful, so it's more likely that people will click on it, either because it interests them or because it's in a text where it makes sense. Stand-alone anchor texts (such as in your signature) have far less value for potential visitors.

For example, I have a page on my blog that I want to promote. I could use the title of the page as the anchor text, but I might also want it to score well for a different keyword. So I would promote it in sentence such as: "Economics of website translation is a difficult topic.", which associates that page with the long-tail keyword "economics of website translation". The sentence reads fine, I get a backlink, associate my page with a long-tail keyword and on top of that the anchor text serves a purpose (in this case, educational), which is how all anchor text should be used.

SEOTranslator, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  14. quatto

quatto Peon

Best Answers:
    So, lets say I want to hammer away at the keyword "brazilian jiu jitsu". I would write something in context with the words "brazilian jiu jitsu" as the anchor text which really links back to a page on my site or my home page?

quatto, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  15. 3glogic

3glogic Peon

Best Answers:
    Anchor text means the text which is linked by the URL. So in seo everyone suggesting that put your keyword as anchor text via most of the seo activities.

3glogic, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  16. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    Correct. Links in context are also valued more by the search engines, because they are surrounded with related search terms. Thus, if you put that link on a site that is related to jiu jitsu or martial arts, it will have more "value" in the eyes of Google than a link holding that same anchor text on a site dedicated to gardening.

SEOTranslator, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  17. quatto

quatto Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, so I started visiting other BJJ blogs and sites. I notice they allow a spot for your URL but will that get posted? Also I noticed other people who commented WERE ABLE to use anchor text. But I see no where in the comment area to change to HTML? Do I just type it in HTML and the blog site will convert it?

Sorry if these are real ignorant questions, I am just trying to get it right the first time and not waste some blog posts and look like a hack...

quatto, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  18. shahidparwez

shahidparwez Peon

Best Answers:
    Anchor Text means linking your website with your keyword. this is the click-able tag. Which is redirected to your targeted website

shahidparwez, Sep 29, 2010 IP
  19. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    Let me explain: If the blog has a spot for the URL, usually the URL does NOT appear. BUT -and this is important- the URL is usually placed as a link, with the name you used as the anchor text. Thus, if instead of my own name I use a keyword or my blog name (SEO Translator) in the name box, and then add my URL, the comment would be a link to my site with the keyword I used as the name. Mind you, a lot of blog owners don't like it, but if your comment is good and contributes to the discussion, they'll let it pass and you'll have a link with the desired keyword. If the comment is however general and does not add anything (e.g., "Good post"), then they'll consider it spam & delete it.

Regarding the comment box, it depends on how the site is set up. In some cases yes, it will allow you to post a link and will convert it automatically, but I would advice against that unless the link provides added value, most blog owners will consider it spam if you simply link to your website. However, imagine that they're talking about the difficulty of training dogs, and you happen to have a nice page on your site on that subject, then you could link to that page as part of an interesting comment, and you would get a double link, one where the anchor text is your name keyword and points to your main site, and another (with a different anchor) to a specific page, thus obtaining also a deep link.

SEOTranslator, Sep 30, 2010 IP
  20. rarmstrong19

rarmstrong19 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    The anchor text, link label or link title is the visible, clickable text in a hyperlink. The words contained in the anchor text can determine the ranking that the page will receive by search engines.

rarmstrong19, Sep 30, 2010 IP