1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Email Subject Lines

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by anuragwebworld, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Psalm49

Psalm49 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ha! Love it!

Psalm49, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  2. anuragwebworld

anuragwebworld Guest

Best Answers:
    thanks everybody for your tips...I'll use them. and sorry for replying late. actually I was not at work for last few days....

anuragwebworld, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  3. _nuke_

_nuke_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Using numbers is an EXCELLENT way to get your emails open - especially like this: "$4,430.35 in Bonuses... No kidding!"; also when you add "[video]" at the front of the subject line, that grabs attention.

_nuke_, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't think that would reek of spam, there, _nuke_?

I think the idea is to do the opposite of what these guys are doing.

Perry Rose, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  5. _nuke_

_nuke_ Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I can see why you might think so. Spam filters are triggered with specific words, text size and color, and even HTML code. I run all my emails, including subject, through email spam filters before sending. Those words don't trigger the most popular spam filters. They do, however, trigger higher open rates.

_nuke_, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  6. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    No, I wasn't talking about spam filters. In fact, I don't give them any thought at all.

Just about all e-mail still gets through just fine. Businesses, like Yahoo, AOL, MSN, Gmail, and a host of hosting companies (excuse the pun heh) quickly learned that it isn't good business (oops, there's another damn pun) to create such filters that filter out e-mail that has the same words as in e-mails sent to our family and friends.

I'm talking about the words the recipients will see in their e-mail subject line.

I'm afraid that numbers, and dollar signs (the way you put it, that is) are some of the worst ways. Maybe a few years back, but not anymore. As a copywriter, I advise my clients NOT to use them! There are too many shysters and spamsters using them.

Besides, people do not like to be sold to so quickly (as in the subject lines of e-mails), especially if they haven't even seen the site yet.

But if you honestly think such words numbers, terms...has a higher open rate, well, ok. What can I say....

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    Perry Rose, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  7. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    -nuke- you are correct the use of numbers does draw attention. It is also true that uneven numbers are most effective. The number 7 is the most effective followed by 11.
    So $43,757.11, would work a slight bit better. Your use of the cents is important, as it adds a feeling of validity. Now $40,000 would do just the opposite.

dyadvisor, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  8. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dollars and cents might get through my email program's spam filter, but it doesn't pass mine. I delete without opening. Anything that talks about bonuses is also a dead giveaway someone's trying to sell me something I didn't ask for.

YMC, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  9. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    YMC that is a very good point, and when some thing looks too easy, it usually is. Unfortunately the internet has so many people that want to get rich quick. The word bonus will get picked up by quite a few filters, I personally do not know about bonuses, but it should get stopped.

Gambling and bingo are become hot items on the internet. Again they are preying on the same people, those that can not really afford to pursue their impulse.

It is predicted that the US will be opened to online gambling possibly before the end of the year. Email to be successful only has to opened by a small percentage of those receiving it. Just like direct mail, email is only as successful as the list. If the list was sent to "opportunity seekers" there are enough out there to make it work.

So yes it is borderline spam-scam in principle, yet tricky marketing allows it to get get past many filters. At the same time, another person's double opt-in list gets blocked because of words like "satisfaction guaranteed." Thanks YMC, I am going to modify mine for the '$', they see to be getting past Google Gmail, and I could do without them.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
    dyadvisor, Sep 24, 2010 IP