1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Did You Learn Web Design?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by m1ndless, Jul 9, 2010.

What methods did you guys use to learn web design and coding? I have created some designs in photoshop, but I dislike slicing them apart and coding them from there. I just recently started learning to code and make sites function, but there are so many standards to learn I am in a bit over my head.

Where would you suggest a novice designer go to learn the basics of design, coding, and marketing?

m1ndless, Jul 9, 2010 IP
  2. Oxi

Oxi Peon

Best Answers:
    With practice and alot of time ;) If you are only talking about web design then you really only need to know xhtml, js/jquery, css and psd integration. If you actually meant how can I learn the whole package... well... that's a different story.

For the basics I would suggest the good ol http://www.w3schools.com/ as you can also practice by editing the example provided. If you are wanting to learn scripting languages such as PHP and ASP then you need to delve a little deeper into the languages documentation (http://www.php.net/manual/en/langref.php) to pick up some advanced understanding. To learn programming inside out I would even suggest learning a language that is a "true" programming language such as Java (not javascript, completely different). Once learnt you will have a solid understanding of programming principles and web programming should be a walk in the park. If you do not wish to do this then you can always just learn the scripting language and pick up the basics of object oriented programming which is the new age of programming and will become a major aspect of PHP in future years.

For marketing.. well thats a huge area too. I would suggest just running through some services that teach you the basics of Search engine optimisation, how to get a website indexed and all the other random basics like page rank and backlinks. Remember, if the website is looking to charge you before supplying any information, it is most probably a scam. It may take some time but you will find some sources that provide free information. However, this free information isn't always the best quality but it will teach you the basics of marketing such as terminology, how to optimise etc. If you want more information pm me and i can always direct you to a few sources.

For design... that just takes practice. Its actually very easy to pick up and you only really need to create a few conversions from psd to html before you understand the basics. Look for PSD to html tutorial websites and you can see how they slice a PSD properly (not in massive image chunks).

Oxi, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  3. hadie87

hadie87 Guest

Best Answers:
    hadie87, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  4. SalmanAbbas007

SalmanAbbas007 Peon

Best Answers:
    SalmanAbbas007, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  5. m1ndless

m1ndless Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought Dreamweaver adds a ton of useless code? I have a few PSD designs right now I am going to attempt to code, I think this will help me learn.

m1ndless, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  6. Oxi

Oxi Peon

Best Answers:
    Im not a fan of dreamweaver, I like to produce clean code in a program that doesn't want to drain all my resources ;)

Oxi, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  7. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    By modifying tons of free web templates downloaded from various resources through extreme searching of Google! :p

jezzz, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  8. m1ndless

m1ndless Peon

Best Answers:
    I feel like it's cheating to modify a template, I would rather learn to MAKE the templates to give away, if that makes sense?

m1ndless, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  9. ComicStix

ComicStix Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I went to w3schools.com to get the basics down. I also took a web design course at this camp called iD tech at M.I.T but it's all across the country. It was SO HELPFUL AND FUN!

ComicStix, Jul 10, 2010 IP
  10. Deanny

Deanny Active Member

Best Answers:
    Deanny, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  11. nzk0

nzk0 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Just read the source of the websites you're on and play with it, eventually you'll know HTML .. for CSS use w3schools :)

nzk0, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  12. MaceOl

MaceOl Peon

Best Answers:
    I learned a lot from my dad and half brother when i was younger. But when i got older i went to college where i got a lot more knowledge in the area.

MaceOl, Sep 22, 2010 IP
  13. MyFolder

MyFolder Peon

Best Answers:
    From Google lol.. Just wanna try new things.. =)

MyFolder, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  14. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    I started in 1995. There was no such thing as Internet Explorer. My first html editor was notepad. Then I graduated to HotDog32 by Sausage software. I learned by reading everything I could get my hands on.

For someone today, I believe there is no decision. Download the Silverlight Developers Kit from Microsoft. It includes the latest technology and Visual Web Developer 2010 express. It's all free. Free. Yes, free. With these tools, designers can build. You can create without a stitch of coding. Now, if you want things the way *you* want them, a little c# and you got it.

BTW: It's all free....

longcall911, Sep 23, 2010 IP
    JoyGoRound likes this.
  15. AdamNV

AdamNV Peon

Best Answers:
    Not so true, it has the basic markup for XHTML and a few meta tags added which you can simply delete if you don't use meta tags the rest is non-useless, it's code you need to make your html website ^^,

AdamNV, Sep 23, 2010 IP
  16. Eric89

Eric89 Peon

Best Answers:
    I will recommend you to go w3schools.com..it is the best place to learn about every web technology

Eric89, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  17. yhe

yhe Active Member

Best Answers:
    i learn html and css alone, online at w3schools.com but is very hard to really know this programs without a good teacher!

yhe, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  18. yhe

yhe Active Member

Best Answers:
    ha! the name is hilarious! i think you have spent a lot of time finding that name

yhe, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  19. ramsarvan

ramsarvan Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    w3school is one of the best beginner tutorial. Make use of it .

ramsarvan, Sep 24, 2010 IP
  20. webdesigner1212

webdesigner1212 Peon

Best Answers:
    see here good script

java.pakcarid.com/default.aspx?sub=25&Sls=25

webdesigner1212, Sep 24, 2010 IP