1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Does a link directory get traffic?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by UnBooked, Aug 30, 2010.

Obviously, a high PR directory is going to have lots of authority and demand from advertisers. However, can a start-up link directory earn from adsense through quality visitors?

What I'm basically asking is whether or not a link directory actually gets traffic, or if the majority of users are webmasters who will NEVER click on ads?

UnBooked, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  2. infogle

infogle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    link directories gets traffic and you can easily make a decent earning off link directories if you make it right...

infogle, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  3. zaman07

zaman07 Peon

Best Answers:
    Many link directory gets a huge traffic. suppose nfmnj.com look at its alexa rank and u will get stunned..

zaman07, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  4. UnBooked

UnBooked Peon

Best Answers:
    But is this high quality traffic? I'm interested as well.

UnBooked, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  5. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    I found niche dirs get traffic

Montreal Classifieds, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  6. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the real question is, should you start up a link directory with the purpose of getting adsense clicks? MFA (Made for Adsense) websites are the scum of the internet so if you're planning on starting a directory specificly for adsense revenue I'd have to advise against it.

If on the other hand you're wanting to start a directory, realise the work that it involves, and are wanting to know if adsense will compensate you for some of your expenditure the answer is in most cases that it's peanuts. There are of course exceptions to this like any other rule, but you may want to consider other forms of income if that is one of your goals.

Snowblind1, Aug 30, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi and agtile like this.
  7. UnBooked

UnBooked Peon

Best Answers:
    Probably the most informative reply this thread has received and thank you for your input. I do agree that Adsense sites are indeed, the scum of the Internet. They offer nothing to the user EXCEPT an option to make the webmaster some supplemental income. However, with a link directory, you're offering your visitors the ability to browse the websites submitted to your site. (Not exactly the best content, but it IS content) I'm just curious if the visitors that a directory receives are all webmasters looking to post their link (wont notice any ads on the page) or if they might actually be visitors that will enjoy what your directory is offering and be interested in the content.

UnBooked, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  8. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    IMHO there isn't much benefit in putting up AdSense on directories. I earn 100x more from directory submissions than I do from AdSense placed on my directory.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  9. newera

newera Peon

Best Answers:
    ofcourse they get traffic how else do your sites get published without them

newera, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  10. zico@adriano

zico@adriano Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, a lot of directory links can bring traffic :)

zico@adriano, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  11. cybatech

cybatech Peon

Best Answers:
    For those who do not have a directory, here is the answer to the question. The only traffic you will get is webmasters and SEO people ( submitting links) no search engine traffic to speak of. Ask someone who as a link in DMOZ how much traffic comes from there. You'll probably get the answer not much. DMOZ gives you PR juice nothing else. So in a nutshell directories are used for other things not to generate traffic. Just my 2 cents.
    Ask yourself how often do you use a directory.

cybatech, Sep 12, 2010 IP
  12. seocatalog

seocatalog Peon

Best Answers:
    Try our new "SEO Catalog" at: seocatalog.us

seocatalog, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  13. agtile

agtile Active Member

Best Answers:
    I guess it depends and each case maybe slightly different.

agtile, Sep 15, 2010 IP
  14. MGwebmaster

MGwebmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Web directories are not the best option for income via AdSense. If your directory will be really popular and will have a high SEO parameters - your main income will be from paid listings. For AdSense it's better to create any highly visited blog.

MGwebmaster, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  15. robert84

robert84 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    sure it gets traffic, but it's tough to market some service or product for those visitors. i'm also sure adding adsense is not a solution of making some decent money.

robert84, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  16. goricher

goricher Peon

Best Answers:
    goricher, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  17. EveryQuery

EveryQuery Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well-established directories can get a ton of traffic...but as others have said, you aren't going to make much money from adsense or similar programs. Most of your visitors are webmasters, and they are ad blind. You'd make many, many times more money just offering featured listings or selling a few text ads or banner ads.

EveryQuery, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  18. aniru

aniru Member

Best Answers:
    directories will not get much search traffics, even if you get search traffic it would be usually webmaster visiting your site who would not bother about the ads on your site, they would just mind submitting there websites, its really becomes tough to manage time in reviewing submitted sites when you are getting 100s of submission in a day, you can see lot of directories with still 100000 pending review!

aniru, Sep 18, 2010 IP