1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Separate Campaigns For Better Percentages

Discussion in 'Google AdWords' started by Clucks2772, Sep 16, 2010.

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering. I have a campaign where I have some good keywords getting a 25%+ Click Through Rate, and a lot have under 5% and some even 0%.. If I make separate campaigns with each of the the keywords that have a better CTR will that save me some money??

Please let me know!

Clucks2772, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  2. chicky01

chicky01 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It cannot save you money but your can improve your target by this.

more clicks

chicky01, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  3. chandan12

chandan12 Peon

Best Answers:
    wat it actuly main i can't understand please can u send me the description about this . i become very pleaser to you

Thanks
    http://www.healthcaremagic.com

chandan12, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  4. chandan12

chandan12 Peon

Best Answers:
    How it could posible please explan me i really need money.....................

chandan12, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  5. martyhoward

martyhoward Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Clucks,
    Those don't look like very good answers. Hang in there I'm sure one of the pros will answer it soon. I would like to know as well. I have keywords that do excellent and others not so good in the same ad group. Do the low CTR keywords hurt the ones that have a very high CTR? Thats what you are asking right?

martyhoward, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  6. blissk

blissk Peon

Best Answers:
    Clucks,

It appears that Google looks at a thematic level (all diabetis related keywords for example) across campaigns and how you are peforming.

So seperating campaign is not always a sure thing unless you are seperating from the content network.
    You may see a slight improvement in CPC if you have a separate campaign.
    I have also seen at times where those keywords get the same cost in different campaign.
    There is only one way to find out sometimes :)

-Anand

blissk, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  7. ianthekisser

ianthekisser Peon

Best Answers:
    Creating separate campaigns will make it easier for you to manage your account, it will not necessarily have an impact on your results (it may or may not).

Now, what you want to do is create ad groups in the new campaigns that will contain tightly related keywords.

The tighter they are the more relevant your ads can be.

For example (Google style ;) ) - let's say you are selling tea.

So you have and ad that says (just the headline) Original fresh tea - an a lot of people click on it.
    This ad is triggered by keywords - tea ,"fresh tea", chinese tea, green tea

If you want your ad to become tighter you will create new ad groups. You will then use phrase and exact matches of each of these keywords.

In effect you may even end up with one keyword in each group. I know people are scared of doing that but that's why they lose money.

So now you create an ad that is perfect for each of those keywords . For example : Original Chinese Tea (keywords "chinese tea" , [chinese tea] )

You make sure that you include "chinese tea" in your headline, ad text and display url.
    Whenever a user searches using these keywords they will appear in bold - bringing more attention to your ad.

To make it even better you link straight to your Chinese tea page.

Your Quality Score is more likely to increase for these keywords since they are now relevant to the users.

Of course you will still have to make sure your ad is attractive because it's the increase in CTR that will finally improve your QS.

Your ad has to be exactly what the user has been searching for for it to have maximum impact.

Fierceness of your competitors (organic and paid) will have an impact as well.

This will save you money because a higher QS means smaller CPC..

The added advantage is that you get highly targeted visitors to your landing page - you can tweak it until they are satisfied and have more conversions!

In fact, depending on your business you may want to start with 1 to 5 keywords with enough search volume for you to have enough insight about your customers behaviour.

Once those keyword make you consistent money you can ad new ad groups and keep going like that.

The biggest mistake you can make using Adwords is to put a lot of keywords (especially broad matched keywords) in and ad group and create a generic ad for all of them.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2010
    ianthekisser, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  8. ianthekisser

ianthekisser Peon

Best Answers:
    Google looks at overall perfomance and historical data as part of your Quality Score calculations. So, yes low CTR keywords may hurt other keywords. However, there are other factors involved as well such as your competition. So for higher competition keywords your cost will go up anyway but Google may not expect it to have as high a CTR as a lower competition keyword.

ianthekisser, Sep 16, 2010 IP
  9. ComSto

ComSto Member

Best Answers:
    Good post ianthekisser.

Clucks -
    25% Clickthrough is pretty good.
    Whats your conversion rate?
    What are your quality scores looking like on these keywords?

ComSto, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  10. dburdon

dburdon Peon

Best Answers:
    Creating separate campaigns is all about flexibility for budgeting etc. Focusing on different markets, different languages, different time zones, different technology platforms. If you don't need this keep the number of campaigns small but make sure you cluster your ad groups around separate keyword groups.

dburdon, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  11. ShortTom

ShortTom Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, Clucks 25% is very good indeed. As far as improving your overall QS (i.e. minimizing the "hurt" of low CTR kws) just as the others have said, improve low CTR keywords by putting them in a tightly themed ad group and refining your ads accordingly. If a keywords still gets very low click throughs you may want to pause/delete it to preserve your QS.

But that largely depends on your ability to convert those clicks. If your conversion rate is high and your ROI is positive with your current CPA, it may not matter if you pay a couple pennies more for each click due to a slightly decreased QS. The name of the game at that point is to get as many clicks as you can while maintaining positive ROI.

One additional caveat to THAT point: you will need to consider your other lead sources and make sure the web is performing comparably. I have a client that buys phone books advertising at a CPA of around $150, a decent price in his industry. The web marketing I do is constantly measured against that cost point...if the web goes above that it suddenly doesn't make sense for him any more because he would be better off buying more phone book ads. There are of course campaign maturation considerations, etc, but the bottom line is the web as an advertising venue must compete with other referral sources.

ShortTom, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  12. proneone

proneone Peon

Best Answers:
    Very simply and without going into too much detail a good process for you would be to remove those underperforming keywords, and replace them with new "test" keywords and at the same time, break the good keywords out into a new "good" performing account in a new campaign.

- lucas

proneone, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  13. ianthekisser

ianthekisser Peon

Best Answers:
    Please explain further, Lucas.

ianthekisser, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  14. proneone

proneone Peon

Best Answers:
    hey ian,

don't get me wrong, i agree with everything you've said so far, i was just supporting your posts with a simple strategy. let's say he has 100 keywords and 25 of them are "underperforming" (low CTR, low conversion or BOTH)... one thing he could do is have 2 accounts - one test account and one good account. initially, he would dump all 100 keywords into the test account, but then once the bad keywords are insolated, he can move the good 75 keywords into a new campaign in the good account and replace the bad 25 with 25 new test keywords in the testing account. rinse and repeat and you're good! ;)

- lucas

proneone, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  15. jargodon

jargodon Peon

Best Answers:
    It gonna cost you a hell more lot of money. But it can add more targeted results.

jargodon, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  16. ianthekisser

ianthekisser Peon

Best Answers:
    There is something we seem to be forgetting here - what are the criteria for setting a keyword as an "underperforming" one?

Let' s look at it this way.

1. Clucks says that some keywords have a low CTR. He hasn't stated whether they are in the same ad groups for example.

If they are, the problem might be from the ads. That's where the solution I proposed will most likely make a difference.

2. However, it could be the case that those keywords have more fierce competition - Google recognises that. For instance there is a chance that compared to your competition your CTR is quite good. Again, you are also competing with organic results - I believe those are usually more attractive to users.

In this case your keywords are not necessarily under-performing - and your keywords will not affect the others negatively.

3. There is another instance, not related directly to the question. If your keyword is not converting, you may say it's "underperforming". But then again, you may want to take a look at your landing pages. You may also look at what your ad promises vs. what's on the landing page.

ianthekisser, Sep 18, 2010 IP
  17. ianthekisser

ianthekisser Peon

Best Answers:
    Lucas, you cannot have a "test" account, you'd be violating Google TOS - this would mean double serving.

I like your idea of split testing - it has to be done in one account, though, otherwise he will get into trouble and might be banned.

ianthekisser, Sep 18, 2010 IP