1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Happens When I Change The Meta Description And Keyword Of A Site

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by gowdemon, Sep 17, 2010.

I have one of my site already indexed in Google, i am just thinking about changing the meta description and meta keywords of the site. I just want to know 2 things.

1. Will Google try to reindex all the pages in my site?
    2. Will There be any big change in traffic to my site after i change the description and keywords, irrespective of how good or bad the keyword and description is?

gowdemon, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  2. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    1. That will not affect Google's indexing. They'll just pick up and index the changes the next time they decide to crawl your pages.

2. Changing the meta Description and meta Keywords will have very little, if any, impact on your traffic.

By contrast, changing the keywords in your title tag and in your content can have a big impact on traffic — for good or for bad, depending on how well or how poorly you research and choose your keywords.

Jim4767, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  3. hetalhet

hetalhet Peon

Best Answers:
    I think once you change your meta-description, it may possible that you loose few rankings but that will be temporary once Google cache whole your site again with new meta description you will get your rankings again. And may be you get nice rankings if meta-descriptions are written well.

hetalhet, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  4. Jonathan Matthews

Jonathan Matthews Peon

Best Answers:
    Changing your meta keywords is unlikely to change anything, the anecdotal evidence is that Google ignored this.

Keyword optimizing your meta description tags may have an effect on your positions in the search results but they do something more important. Often this is the text Google shows to describe a page in the results, if they're compelling it makes it more likely a user will actually click on your links. There's no point being in the search results if no one clicks your links :)

Jonathan Matthews, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  5. magda

magda Notable Member

Best Answers:
    it's not anecdotal - they said they ignore the keywords metatag in the most unequivocal terms on their official blog http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2009/09/google-does-not-use-keywords-meta-tag.html
    Also - your description meta tag plays no part in serp ranking either.

magda, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  6. theemerchant

theemerchant Guest

Best Answers:
    you may loose few KW rankings if you change it but if you just add a little then it is nothing to do with your site when google try to crawl it

theemerchant, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  7. joelchrist

joelchrist Banned

Best Answers:
    Yeah. Google will reindex your site and meta datas and definitely you will loss your regular traffic. It is not preferable changing meta data often.

joelchrist, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  8. Jonathan Matthews

Jonathan Matthews Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks magda - I stand corrected.

Jonathan Matthews, Sep 17, 2010 IP
  9. gowdemon

gowdemon Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the valuable information, i actually did change the meta keywords, description and the title tag, boy there was some real change in traffic(dropped). But i think the change in traffic was mainly because of the change of keywords in the title tag.

gowdemon, Oct 7, 2010 IP