1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A strange problem regarding search result numbers for my brand

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by phatchance, Sep 7, 2010.

Hey guys,

I'm an indie musician from Australia, I perform under the name Phatchance. I keep a fairly close watch over my google search results and page rankings, because this is generally the first contact point for a booking agent/label/fan will visit. Recently the number of these return results dropped SUBSTANTIALLY in regards to my name.

Previously when I searched "phatchance" "Phatchance" or phatchance/Phatchance I would receive somewhere in the order of 70,000 results. Recently this fell to 11,000, then 10,000, then 8,000. The same impact has not applied to any other musicians I work with, or any other musicians I deal with (who use the same websites etc.) simply adding the term Myspace, Facebook or Twitter to the word Phatchance will generate a huge number of added responses.

Obviously this has me very concerned as branding is so important in the music industry, and perception of size is also very important. What exactly is going on here and what can I do to combat this? A search of Phatchance today indicates 129 new results, yet the total number in a global search is dropping consistently.

Thanks heaps!

phatchance, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  2. phatchance

phatchance Peon

Best Answers:
    bump for help :)

phatchance, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  3. phatchance

phatchance Peon

Best Answers:
    Bump for help or redirect please

phatchance, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  4. ShaneRQR

ShaneRQR Guest

Best Answers:
    Well, without knowing where those 70,000 results came from, it's very hard to say what happened.

Is this really something anyone checks/cares about, though? Wouldn't it be more important that you have a really cool website sitting at the top for that search and perhaps also have some other web properties occupying the other spots on the first page? Just a thought.

ShaneRQR, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  5. SEOTranslator

SEOTranslator Member

Best Answers:
    There is another thread where it has been reported that keyword search volumes have dropped, probably because of an adjustment in Google's keyword research tool.

I have also noted a drop in the number of results (i.e., not search volume but rather search results) for some terms.

I can only guess that one of the following has happened: a) Google has made an adjustment to the search algorithm to discard non-useful or duplicated pages or b) You are looking to a local Google version. If you're based in Australia, you'll probably get redirected to google.com.au. Now, the results between the different Googles are DIFFERENT! In google.com for your term I get some 8,000 results, but in the Australian Google (google.com.au), I get 17,000!

To understand why, check out my post Your #1 in Google is Worthless in the Rest of the World and the second part, Not #1 in Google? Be Smart and Rank #1 Locally!. I bet there are more results in Australia because Google has detected where you are based!

SEOTranslator, Sep 10, 2010 IP
  6. manny07

manny07 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm also experience this everytime my website is dancing on SERP's.

manny07, Sep 10, 2010 IP