1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is this a feature of sitemaps?

Discussion in 'Google Sitemaps' started by solid7, Sep 25, 2006.

solid7, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  2. geckotales

geckotales Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is a Google Sitemap feature. I have not found a way to control what top sublinks Google list, but my clients do like the feature. It makes the listing stand out more and increases the chances of a click.

geckotales, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  3. solid7

solid7 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If it's truly a feature of sitemaps, it seems to me that the way to control which links are displayed, would be to limit which links you put in the sitemap. Don't you agree? If I had 5 high powered links, those would be the ones that I would deploy. (my site gets crawled like nuts, anyway)

I have yet to see any solid evidence that it is, indeed a feature of sitemaps. If anyone can enlighten me, I'd be more than happy to know...

solid7, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  4. geckotales

geckotales Peon

Best Answers:
    One big reason I have used Google Sitemaps is to get the the dozens or even hundreds of minor pages listed that sometimes are not indexed. I wonder if a site only had a few pages if it is worth it and if those few pages would be listed in the sub listings?
    I bet someone knows. I'm interested to hear what others know about the subject...

geckotales, Sep 25, 2006 IP
  5. JetteroHeller

JetteroHeller Peon

Best Answers:
    When Cutts was going over this, he seemed to thing it was all "algorithmic" and not something enacted by user action. Anyone have data to the contrary? I just don't see where in the sitemap 'protocol' that you add that sort of thing.

--jet

p.s. argh! I was trying to post the link to cutts blog post on the subject, but I can't because I'm a newbie. It's http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/ui-fun-better-snippets/

JetteroHeller, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  6. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    Its traffic data from the google toolbar. All my sites show sublinks according to the busiest pages rather than the ones with most links.

mad4, Sep 30, 2006 IP
  7. Vanessa Fox

Vanessa Fox Peon

Best Answers:
    Vanessa Fox, Sep 30, 2006 IP