1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is it illegal to own a company domain name?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by l33tdcboi, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Kryz

Kryz Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm planning to create a blog but the domain name I want is already registered. Can I register the trademark for my blog and then sue the owner of the domain name??? I know this is no moral, but he is asking for a huge amount of money that I don't have.

By the way... He's been the domain owner for over four years, but the website only says "domain for sale"

Thanks...

Kryz, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  2. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, you can't. He registered the domain before you, therefore you don't have a case for a bad faith registration. Besides, I am positive paying him whatever he wants for the domain would be far cheaper than a trademark infringement lawsuit going through the courts. You could easily spend six-figures in legal fees.

mjewel, Sep 8, 2010 IP
    scithe likes this.
  3. Kryz

Kryz Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the advice!

It's frustrating how people register domain names just to make easy money. I've been thinking and creating names for about two weeks now, but every time I check the domain name is taken.

Kryz, Sep 8, 2010 IP
  4. Roshawn

Roshawn Peon

Best Answers:
    they are saying. you can be sue for anything with Microsoft in it. it doesnt matter if it a .CO domain because you be breaking the law still. and you see what happen to MikeRoweSoft in canada he lives in canada and they shut him down. so doesnt matter where you go they can shut you down and sue you for millions

Roshawn, Nov 21, 2010 IP
  5. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a thing such as fair use. Paypalsucks.com has been around almost as long as Paypal has been around. They can't do anything because it is fair use.

Theoretically, if Microsoft.com were to become available to register, you probably could register it and use it in a similar manner. Though if you tried to sell copies of microsoft software (even legitimate wholesale purchase copies) this is where I believe you would run into trouble.

You should look into ICANN (that 18 cents you pay when you register a domain goes to them) and some of the stuff they do in regards to domain names. Remember Screech from Saved By the Bell? http://www.dustindiamond.com/case/pressrelease.html He lost :D

scithe, Jun 5, 2017 IP