1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Order by Sum of 2 queries

Discussion in 'PHP' started by tin2mon, Sep 6, 2010.

Greatings Dev Shed Community!

I'm working on a way to organize a table in php querying values from an SQL table.

Basically the table will display "alignment" for a text based RPG I'm working on, but haven't figured out how to sort the table properly.

Alignment in this formula is based on (Allies - Enemies), and I've done so by doing this :

//Shortcuts
    $db = "mysql_query";
    $dbfetch = "mysql_fetch_row";
    $dbnum = "mysql_numrows";
    $dbarray = "mysql_fetch_array";
    //End Shortcuts

$alliances1 = $db("SELECT `alliance` FROM `alliance` WHERE your_id='$your_id' AND enemy='0' ORDER BY `alliance` ASC LIMIT 3");

$enemy1 = $db("SELECT `alliance` FROM `alliance` WHERE your_id='$your_id' AND enemy='1' ORDER BY `alliance` ASC LIMIT 3");

$allies = $dbnum($alliances1);

$enemies = $dbnum($enemy1);

$alignment = $allies - $enemies

What I want to do is sort a table by "$alignment", but to do so I need $alignment to be configured during the query, right?

If so, how would I arrange the syntax so that I could properly query alliances 1 and enemy1 in the same query and subtract the results from one another?

I appreciate any help you guys can give me!

tin2mon, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  2. bartolay13

bartolay13 Active Member

Best Answers:
    select $your_id as User_id, (select alliance from alliance where enemy = 0 and your_id = User_id) as EnemyZero,(select alliance from alliance where enemy = 1 and your_id = User_id) as EnemyOne, EnemyZero - EnemyOne as differenceOfEnemies from alliance order by alliance asc limit 3

bartolay13, Sep 7, 2010 IP
    stephan2307 likes this.
  3. stephan2307

stephan2307 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that is a pretty need query. I think I will keep a not of this one and I am sure I can use it myself somewhere.

stephan2307, Sep 7, 2010 IP