1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buy a new domain or use an existing one.

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by kaiser2011, Sep 4, 2010.

I started a blog which I named it houseoftech.co.uk It was supposed to be a blog about tech stuff as the name suggests. But over time i could not keep up and realized tech blog is just too much work and dedication. Something i cant dedicate myself to.

Instead i turned to affiliate marketing and now i was going to start a money making blog. I had an idea to use my house of tech blog to start of the money blog on the same domain and blog. Stop with tech and make it a money making blog.

What do you guys think ? I do not have enough cash atm to buy another hosting for wordpress. Plus i am suspecting it will take a few months before the mney making blog gets indexed good in google.

Am i better of using the old house of tech blog for my new money making blog ? Or should i make a new blog with a new domain ( i will prob use blogger for that)

PS: I kind of didnt want to turn house of tech into a tech blog. Maybe later when i am finally good in internet stuff, i might to want to restart it. I dont know. Am confused. Suggestions ?

kaiser2011, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  2. scithe

scithe Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think houseoftech.co.uk is a good tech name either for a blog site, review site or even an e-commerce site. Some hosts let you have more than one domain on the hosting account. If not you could always create a sub domain and put your new blog there temporarily until you come with up with a new name to use for the site.

Content is all that really matters and for the first dozen or so posts, you're getting your feet wet typing and tweaking.

scithe, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  3. kaiser2011

kaiser2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i was thinking of setting up a blog as a subdomain on my main blog and directing a new domain to it. It works like a new site. ( so what my webhosting says so)
    But will it affect its SEO or Indexing. I had set up a blog earlier this way ( sportsstreaminglive dot com). However in its Wordpress stats, i kept getting weird results. Like most my traffic was coming from my main house of tech blog. Although i had placed no such link on that blog or even advertised. I had only advertised it on faceook/ other networks.

I think ill buy a new domain and put it as a subdomain to my blog (making it a new site). Use my house of tech to get the traffic for a while.

4. Patrik-

Patrik- Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you use the "addon domain" feature in cpanel (assuming that is the control panel you are using). Then the extra domain added ontop of the old one not visibly connected to the subdomain.

In other words, there is a big difference between creating a subdomain and then forwarding or cloaking another domain to this subdomain. Compared to creating a subdomain in the form of an addon domain. The latter is it's own domain from the outside perspective, it is just hosted on the same account as the root domain.

Patrik-, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  5. javierjmc

javierjmc Active Member

Best Answers:
    You could use a 301 redirect with your tech site and redirecting it to the new one, it won't affect your indexing at all.

javierjmc, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  6. kaiser2011

kaiser2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Really confusing trying to figure out what you saying. I keep confusing my self. Ill just say it here how i worked it out for my previous blog.
    • Orignal Blog = Houseoftech.co.uk
    • New Blog made within the directory called sportsstreaminglive. (it could be accessed through houseoftech.co.uk/sportsstreaminglive)
    • Already bought the domain Sportsstreaminglive.com and added it to my webhost acccunt (Using the addon domain feature). It got added as sportsstreaminglive.houseoftech.co.uk and pointed to houseoftech.co.uk/sportsstreaminglive
    • In wordpress for the sports blog i switched the Siteaddress to sportsstreaminglive.com

Now just want to know if the sports blog is counted as a different blog or as a sub part of houseoftech. The website seems to be own its own as a diff website. But i keep getting weird results in slimstat for the traffic sources.

7. Patrik-

Patrik- Active Member

Best Answers:
    if you have houseoftech.co.uk. Then through cpanel admin area you should be able to find "addon domain", where you can add "Sportsstreaminglive.com".

Doing this cpanel automatically creates a sub-domain and sub-directory named "Sportsstreaminglive". This means if you login using FTP to houseoftech.co.uk you will see a sub-directory with the name of the new domain. You do not need to create this sub-directory yourself, it is created automatically.

If you do this, then the new domain "Sportsstreaminglive.com" will be treated as it's own domain. You then simply point the DNS of Sportsstreaminglive.com to the same ones you use for the first domain. Then you upload the wordpress script into the sub-directory, you access and go to www.Sportsstreaminglive.com and will be presented with wordpress installation.

You really do not have to do anything more... The sub-directory and sub-domain you can pretend do not exist... They are kind of irrelevant once you have pointed the domain. The sub-directory on the FTP then only exists so you can upload the files... You do not have to make any special configurations in wordpress, nor do you or should you access the sub-domain and sub-directory (houseoftech.co.uk/sportsstreaminglive/).

If you do this then the new domain will be like any other hosted domain in functionality. But the files are stored on your houseoftech.co.uk account).

It is really very simple. Just add the new domain as an addon-domain in cpanel control panel, point the new domain to the proper DNS. Then upload files and access it as any ordinary domain. The domain stats are accessed independently from the houseoftch domain in the cpanel.

Hope this cleared it up.

Patrik-, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  8. Patrik-

Patrik- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just to clarify. When you have created the addon-domain, you should install wordpress AGAIN on the new domain... Not try and change the settings of the original installation (unless you are doing a FULL transfer of all files and everything to the new domain).

Patrik-, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  9. kaiser2011

kaiser2011 Member

Best Answers:
    Alright i get it. I remember i used the script to install the wordpress later using the simple script AFTER i had assigned the domain. I had actually bought it from bluehost itself and was assigned to my account for house of tech.

The script installed it using houseoftech.co.uk/sportsstreaminglive if i am not mistaken. In wordpress i had to change the "site URL" myself to sportsstreaminglive.com.
    Anyhow i will do it your way when i set up the new blog. Hope it will work. Thanks for the help.

I hate these so called web hosting. They advertise as low as 3 dollars a month. On sign up they want you to pay up for the whole year -.-
    Thats what bluehost does. Any idea if hostgator or anyone else does not do that ?

10. Patrik-

Patrik- Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes I would probably suggest installing the wordpress script yourself, to make sure the auto-installer does not mess up the sub-directory/domain settings. Just make sure when you intend to install wordpress you access the installation from the domain, and not from the sub-domain or directory. That way making sure it writes the proper settings to the database.

There are plenty of hosts out there which pay per month, but they are often somewhat more expensive. There are even VPS servers quite cheap (around $10-15/month). Which essentially makes it possible to run your own server, adding and removing new domains as you see fit, with full control. But if you only intend host one or two domains with limited traffic, it might not be the most optimal choice.

Patrik-, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  11. rahuljrark

rahuljrark Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends. If you have great content then the domain name wont matter much. You can also use some Tag Line to justify the Tech in the domain name For eg: A Techie's Way To Earn Money..... or something like that

rahuljrark, Sep 7, 2010 IP