1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SE Ranking and Anchor text relation

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Globaleyeglasses, Sep 3, 2010.

All webmaster would be agree with it that - To get better ranking for a keyword we need to build back-link with keyword as anchor text.

Take an example.
    My Site- cuteroses.com
    Keyword - Rose
    Now to rank for keyword Rose, I will build links with anchor text "Rose"
    <a href="http://www.cuteroses.com">rose</a>
    Code (markup):
    The Problem is if Google notice that maximum link are coming with single Anchor text then It may penalize me .. Is It true ?

So, What can be solution to rank for my Keyword "Rose". Should I use anchor text like
    Red rose
    blue rose
    pink rose

But If I use these word, then what is the guarantee that I will rank for Rose ?

Please give your valuable suggestion.

Thanks

Globaleyeglasses, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  2. theseomonk

theseomonk Peon

Best Answers:
    No not really but yes changing anchor text is the good practices and doing this will helps you to target more keywords.

theseomonk, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  3. cools4u

cools4u Peon

Best Answers:
    Try to include keywords to be promoted in anchor text and title tag which will affect search engine positioning for a particular keyword...

cools4u, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  4. xubair

xubair Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to rank well for rose, you should try getting some backlinks with the anchor text 'rose' including all those other backlink e.g. red rose, pink rose, etc and you should interlink pages on your site carefully, I would suggest you to point all the pages to index with the anchor text rose and for that index page your first keyword in the title and description should be rose!

I hope that would help.

xubair, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  5. mark watson

mark watson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Personally, I would recommend starting off by ensuring you do not go over 35% to 40% of your anchor text using any 1 keyterm, to any 1 URL.

This can increase in time, but when starting off, I would say something like 35% using 'Rose' 10% using 'Red Rose' 10% using 'sceented roses' and 10% using another term (+5% using your sites www domain com as the anchor!)

Obviously, the actual keyterms above are for example only, and are NOT based on ANY research ;-) - You yourself should I guess know your main, and sub keyterms :)

mark watson, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  6. gordongekko

gordongekko Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, firstly I doubt very much you will get penalised. I have analysed many link profiles and have seen many sites that rank in the top 10 for very competitive search terms with 50,100 or more links containing an exact search term. So no, you most likely will not be penalised.

You definitely want to vary the anchor text but make it relevant. You also want to think about the keywords you are targeting and whether the return is worth the effort. There are 301,000,000 pages competing with you. So you need to think about that.

If you use "rose" a lot in other anchors for example "red rose", "pink rose" "rare rose" etc then it will ultimately help you to rank well for "rose".

gordongekko, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  7. goliveira1990

goliveira1990 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I dont think you'll get penalized but it's not a bad idea to get backlinks for longer keywords as well.

goliveira1990, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  8. Migueliscool

Migueliscool Peon

Best Answers:
    Google likes natural links so if you get different keywords but have some similarity then they will seem more natural and google could reward you for that. Also doing that helps you rank in keywords within your niche.

Migueliscool, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  9. psharma

psharma Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Whether you get guaranteed ranking for ROSE or not you can not afford to get penalized. You have to build links for other keywords like RED ROSE, BLUE ROSE etc, in order to hide the artificiality of your regular link building campaign which emphasizes only on the keyword ROSE.
    Morever you will get some extra keywords ranking in google for an improved website traffic which is better benefit than ranking for just one keyword.

For example, suppose:
    Rose: monthly searches = 30,000,000, your rank = #4 your traffic = 2,000,000

But in case 2
    Blue rose monthly searches = 3,000,000, your rank = #1 your traffic = 1,500,000
    red rose monthly searches = 4,000,000, your rank = #2 your traffic = 1,000,000
    Black rose monthly searches = 20,000,000, your rank = #1 your traffic = 1,000,000

you certainly get more traffic in case two because there are more traffic streams while in case 1 you are limited by the number of monthly search.

Now your question, will you get ranked for ROSE, if you promote RED ROSE and BLUE ROSE. I will say, if your website is about different kinds of roses, and have got many natural backlinks, it will certainly get improvement in ranking for the keyword ROSE as well, you can add to that improvement by getting backlink for keyword ROSE as well.

Hope it helps :)

psharma, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  10. p0ppers23

p0ppers23 Peon

Best Answers:
    If you use the same anchor text TO MUCH, then google might think it is automated and will penalize.

p0ppers23, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  11. Borduhh

Borduhh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this as well, however if you rank highly for the term "Rose", then most likely you will rank highly for the terms "Red Rose" and "Blue Rose".

However I would start off like this. Building links to both terms "red rose" and "blue rose" evenly. Then when you rank for each term in the top 5 or top 10 you will find that you are ranked top 50 already for the search term "rose". This will make your efforts more efficient.

Best Regards,
    Nick

Borduhh, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  12. JMega

JMega Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I've always subscribed to the idea that you should mix up your anchor text, but to have your main keyword as an anchor around 35% of the time. Seems to be working well for me so far and allows me to get higher in rankings for both my main keyword and various secondary keywords.

JMega, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  13. MarkAse

MarkAse Peon

Best Answers:
    Google doesn't penalize you for that. Changing anchor text isn't smart long term, better to try to rank separate pages for different keywords.

Also, depending on the competitiveness of the terms, if you rank for rose, there is no guarantee that you rank well for red rose....heck there is no guarantee of anything in a competitive niches.

MarkAse, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  14. peicy888

peicy888 Member

Best Answers:
    personally,I recommend anchor text for 20% main keyword and 80% long tail keyword so that it seems naturally to search engine...

peicy888, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  15. riczsabido

riczsabido Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yep...I totally agree with this. You should not try to rank for so many keywords on a single page. Target only one keyword and build your backlinks around it.

If you are afraid of penalty and would want to be on the safe side, then add some words but don't change your target keyword/ phrase.

If you want to rank with the term red rose, then all your backlinks should have the phrase red rose on it.

riczsabido, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  16. handbagsmaster

handbagsmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    yes you are right, and do remember to do back links to your deep page too, all links to your homepage will get sandboxed.

handbagsmaster, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  17. Globaleyeglasses

Globaleyeglasses Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks mark.. It seems me logical.. I will follow this pattern.

Globaleyeglasses, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  18. Globaleyeglasses

Globaleyeglasses Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks.. your idea is well researched and it also improved my concept of off page seo.
    Thanks a lot.

Globaleyeglasses, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  19. finejewellerys

finejewellerys Member

Best Answers:
    I think use different related keywords is a good way to get the natural ranking in search engine.google will like the different style keyword to point your websit.

finejewellerys, Sep 21, 2010 IP
  20. javierjmc

javierjmc Active Member

Best Answers:
    I recommend you to use long tail keywords. What are they? for example, "american orange rose" or things like that with 2 or 3 words. Of course they are searched less, but if you work properly you will rank for those keywords. Also, you will build a long-term relationship for the main keyword rose.

Greetings

javierjmc, Sep 21, 2010 IP