Help: Am I overpaying for my server?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Agurus, Sep 2, 2010.

My current server is getting overloaded, so I am indeed of an upgrade, here is my current server stats:
    AMD Athlon X2 DualCore 5200+
    4GB RAM
    160 GB SATA (7.2k)
    160 GB SATA (7.2k)
    Bandwith Limit: 1500 GB
    Uplink speed: 100 mbit
    CentOS 5/Cpanel

Pay $100 month

--------------------

New Server Stats:
    Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    6GB RAM
    2x 250GB SATAII Drives
    1500GB Monthly Bandwidth
    10Mbit Uplink
    CentOS 5.x
    cPanel/WHM

$190.00 per month

--------------------------
    Both are deciated servers, host is HostDime

Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal? Am I getting ripped off or should I look for another host package/haggle down price? How much should I be paying for it?

Agurus, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  2. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How could you possibly be getting ripped off? Do you think that's a reasonable deal? Are you happy with the price? Is the service good? Is uptime and speed what you want and expect?

Don't become a slave to price. Don't become someone who "knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing." (old saying).

Will you get it cheaper elsewhere? - probably. There's always somone cheaper. Will you get the same value? - probably not. If you're happy with the service, they do a good job, and everything is fine, then what's the problem?

You'll get people saying $190 is too much, but these are the ones who put price first and service second. Can you go out and purchase brand new high-quality rackmount server hardware (preferably 1U) with the same spec, provide free hardware replacements for life, co-locate it in a datacenter pay for 1500GB of transfer (cost to host of 10mbps line to support this - $50 per month min but more likely $100 for better bandwidth), have support staff on-hand 24.7 to help with problems and replace any damaged hardware, then split the cost of switches, routers, software, power, air-conditioning for $190 per month. No chance.

It may not be the cheapest on the market but you certainly aren't getting ripped off either.

RonBrown, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  3. Jay-S

Jay-S Member

Best Answers:
    That deal is reasonable and HostDime is a really good company, but you can get a better deal if you take a look at other dedicated hosts. Just make sure you do a little bit a research before you rent a server from a different host to make sure they are reliable and stable.

Jay-S, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  4. YoGem

YoGem Active Member

Best Answers:
    My only concerns are the bandwidth and CPU but the price is not so bad. Is it managed?

YoGem, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  5. alex288288

alex288288 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i agree 100% with you and i think alot of people fall into this sentence

nicely written

alex288288, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  6. WebIntellects - Rob

WebIntellects - Rob Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think you are paying honest price for the web hosting. Of course you will be able to find something cheaper, but I do not think if that will be better at all.

WebIntellects - Rob, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  7. ~ServerPoint~

~ServerPoint~ Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe that the prices are good enough.

~ServerPoint~, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  8. lostdesign39

lostdesign39 Peon

Best Answers:
    ha 10Mbit? for a $190/month serveR?

lostdesign39, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  9. Mindraven

Mindraven Peon

Best Answers:
    The bandwidth and uplink speed is really the only thing that's on the lower end. Overall not too bad. If your site fits into the allotted bandwidth, then it's a decent deal.

Mindraven, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  10. prilep

prilep Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Is the server managed?

- Prilep :)

prilep, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  11. RonBrown

RonBrown Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What's the problem with a 10mbps connection? Most dedicated servers that I see advertised have 10mbps links with additional charges for 100mbps links. That's the perfect size of link to support the bandwidth allowance.

A 10mbps link is a good link. It's not like a poxy contended broadband connection with 20-1 contention ratios. A dedicated 10mbps connection with a fast backbone in the datacentre gives you the ability to push tons of traffic.

I've just been looking at the stats for a site we run. Over £500,000 turnover per week, 2.6million hits a day, 400,000 daily page views, and 25,000 daily visitors, the bandwidth average is 1.7mbps and the 95th percentile is 3.34. It does occasionally burst to 6/7mbps but that's rare as traffic is relatively steady. The average CPU usage on the server is 2% (it's a dot.net app, so very efficient) and the DB runs on a separate (shared with lots of other DBs) MS SQL 2008 DB server over a 10gbps network.

The traffic to this site could double and a 10mbps line would still be sufficient. They may not be the busiest site in the world, but they make enough money from it and it wouldn't be a bad return for a $190 server...yes, this site does run on a single web server (but we have lots of backup and failover in place for it).

Scoffing at a 10mbps line is hardly warranted. So what if someone gives you a 100mbps or 1gbps connection, it doesn't make your site any faster until you need that sort of bandwdith and when you do your "unlimited" bandwidth deal will swiftly come to an end, or your network card on the cheap motherboard will crap-out long before it reaches max connection, or the CPU/Ram combo won't be able to process anything fast enough to allow you to use the faster connection to the max. The size of the connection isn't a good measure of the ability. Maybe it's a male thing where having something bigger is better, even if it doesn't work properly and can't live up to the promises it makes.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
    RonBrown, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  12. Rackshack

Rackshack Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you looking for a cheaper price or worried about the performance and willing to move even if the price goes higher.

Rackshack, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  13. tepid

tepid Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, it depends where you buy the server from.

tepid, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  14. TheWiseGuy

TheWiseGuy Member

Best Answers:
    if you like their service and support, if you don't have downtimes or frequent issues then you should try to consider also this in the equation...once you find a good server provider 10 bucks more or less a month won't kill you, switching to a new host might bring a ton of problems instead.

today you can find servers in many price ranges, what makes the difference is reliability and support

TheWiseGuy, Sep 4, 2010 IP