1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SEO deadly mistake

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by tameem, Sep 2, 2010.

Hello All,

I want to focus here about deadly mistake that many webmaster forget or don't pay too much attention: Targetting wrong keywords

So my advice is to search first for the right keywords before starting building your SEO website. For that you can use tools like one from google: https://adwords.google.com/select/KeywordToolExternal

tameem, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  2. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is a LOT to understand about doing keyword research. Just knowing the tools to use does nothing if you don't understand where they get their data, what the data means, etc. There is no single tool that is good for keyword research. You will want to use as many tools as you can get your hands on.

When I do keyword research for sites I use a combination of tools to research potential keywords:

- the site's web analytics software
    - the site's PPC campaign
    - the site's WMT account
    - the adwords keyword tool (I use the internal one)
    - google insights
    - spyfu
    - if I can get access to it, I use Hitwise or ComScore

and about a dozen other sources I'm too tired to list.

Even with all of that data, if you don't know how to use it then you're still going to suck at it. Keyword research takes LOTS of practice.

Canonical, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  3. sydzapp

sydzapp Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Does the data differ from the External one?
    I prefer using the external one.

1 good practice is to make a report of your keyword research and place it somewhere from where you can refer to it when needed. I sticky keyword reports on the wall in front of my desk so i can just see the keywords whenever i need them.

As far as tools are concerned i use Spyfu, Google's External Keyword Tool, Web Ceo & Market Samurai.

sydzapp, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  4. Groovystar

Groovystar Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't call it deadly. Just cause inefficiency and delay. At least you build your site up in the meantime and broadened its visibility so you have something to build on when you target better words.

Groovystar, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  5. Migueliscool

Migueliscool Peon

Best Answers:
    I made that mistake with my first website. It got almost no traffic and I managed to get it to second rank of google for my targeted keywords. Now I use Google Trends and they are very active.

Migueliscool, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  6. village

village Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah this is a timely reminder about something I learned the hard way. Keyword research is an ongoing task but it is vital - if you put the time in it will pay dividends in the end

village, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  7. xubair

xubair Active Member

Best Answers:
    Keyword research is the most important thing you should be doing before actually working on a site. There are many tools for that, I use Google Adwords Keyword Tool and Google Trends and sometimes I also see the alexa page of the sites of same niche.

xubair, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  8. pakbuzzle

pakbuzzle Peon

Best Answers:
    yes nice sharing a good seo always focus on specific keyword

pakbuzzle, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  9. mark watson

mark watson Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    This is true. One thing though...

A mistake many people use with the adwords external keyword tool is....

WRONG MATCH TYPE!

To get a more realistic opinion of your potential search volume, set the match type to 'Exact'...

This is important, else you may go after the wrong keytwords, even if you use the adwords keyword tool!

mark watson, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  10. premeet01245

premeet01245 Guest

Best Answers:
    it's nice advise form now I will start fellow it thanks for writing information..........

premeet01245, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  11. gordongekko

gordongekko Peon

Best Answers:
    Another thing to remember is that the Google Adwords Tool will only show you broad keywords. Fine, but unless you are in the top 3 for these you will most likely see little traffic!

Better to create lots of interesting content and target the long tail. Less competition, easier to rank for and converts 1000% better.

There are many ways to do keyword research including looking at the copy/content of your competitors, looking at competitors meta data, reading articles and blog posts on the topic and extracting valuable modifier long tail keywords, reading a magazine on the subject. There are of course many many tools you can use. Try Google wheel and www.keywordeye.co.uk or try looking at Google's search suggestions when typing or at the bottom of your search results.

Just a few there for you to get started with.

gordongekko, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  12. yakusokutebayo

yakusokutebayo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with this, long tail keywords is the way to go if your starting out or if you want to make many mini sites that convert better.

yakusokutebayo, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  13. twigman1200

twigman1200 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, long tail keywords are perfect.

People will be searching for exactly what you are promoting and will more than likely be willing to purchase from you.

twigman1200, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  14. goliveira1990

goliveira1990 Active Member

Best Answers:
    That google tool is great, I heard wordtracker is good too, but is it worth the money?

goliveira1990, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  15. premeet01245

premeet01245 Guest

Best Answers:

yes I all above your suggestion will help me and other person also....

premeet01245, Sep 4, 2010 IP
  16. princeshea

princeshea Guest

Best Answers:
    You are extremely right. choosing Keywords are effective part in SEO. i also some excellent suggs from thats. that to all buddies to share these wonderful tips...

princeshea, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  17. advertise

advertise Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree... Not everyone fully understands how or even WHY to use the keyword research tools. And unfortunately keyword selection is often what decides the success or demise of a site. There is a lot of research, analyzing and implementing that needs to be done in order to determine if that is what will work for your particular niche or target audience. You want competition, but not so much that it will bury you in the SE. And you do not want a keyword that has less than X number of searches a month. SO, you are right, it is a rather complicated thing to do.

advertise, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  18. premeet01245

premeet01245 Guest

Best Answers:

yes u r rite please describe more about keyword research and one thing also which is PPC.....

premeet01245, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  19. supernal

supernal Member

Best Answers:
    Great post! Informational and inspiration. I'm going to be saving this in a notepad as a reminder.

supernal, Sep 5, 2010 IP
  20. VIBGYORtel

VIBGYORtel Member

Best Answers:
    Webmaster should concentrate on keyword research 1st.
    For me, I understand product and services 1st and then do manually research in google and find similar keywords.

VIBGYORtel, Sep 5, 2010 IP