1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

how to make free directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by unknownpray, Aug 29, 2010.

i want to make free directory brief me deeply how to make.

unknownpray, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  2. Sander K

Sander K Active Member

Best Answers:
    Buy a cheap .info domain and download phpLd 2.2 here.
    Install it and you got your very own directory.
    Its better to buy a .com tho as some people won't border submitting to an .info

Sander K, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  3. Montreal Classifieds

Montreal Classifieds Active Member

Best Answers:
    in addition to previous post, one more important step to make you directory free - don't charge for submission.

Montreal Classifieds, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I got a better idea...don't bother. If you aren't ready to research and read what it takes to make a good directory, you are bound to fail. If you actually want to make any money or provide worthwhile backlinks to your own site(s), it takes time to build and maintain a quality resource.

Your signature and location indicate that you are a directory submitter and SEO pro, I can't help but wonder why you are asking the question in the first place.

YMC, Aug 29, 2010 IP
  5. UnBooked

UnBooked Peon

Best Answers:
    Highly possible that he offers SEO services to customers through directory submissions, but is clueless when it comes to making his own directory?

I would say that I am in a similar position, however I know that there are many free scripts available (Article Dashboard, Wordpress Plugins) to automate the creation for you. Perhaps the OP should look into these two options.

Meanwhile, I would love to hear any further comments you could give us YMC. About marketing the directory, making money from the directory, etc.

UnBooked, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  6. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I guess I've just been around these forums too long. There's been so many threads started by "SEO pros" in the directories section that are in reality pathetic attempts at drumming up business. And even more threads that would not have been started if the original poster had first checked out the stickies at the top of the forum. (Both of you have checked those out, right?)

There's a lot of time that goes into running a directory, assuming you want to create something worthwhile. Perhaps if the OP had asked a specific question instead of "Brief me deeply how to make" they would have received a more positive response. It's kinda like someone saying, I want to have a site that makes money like John Chow or I want to have the number one ranking in Google for mesothelioma, and looking for someone to tell them how to do that.

Sure, there's lots of free scripts out there and even free databases. But, I suspect that you will find few here who find that to be an effective way to build a directory. I would tell anyone I care about to not bother starting a directory if they are unwilling to invest a few dollars on a decent script.

Ask specific questions that show you've put in some effort and thought and you might be truly amazed at how much help the folks around here will give you.

BTW, I've not used it but I've not heard good things about using Wordpress to build a directory.

YMC, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  7. lyrescript

lyrescript Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Greetings,

another free alternative to phpLD is esyndicat directory software, you might want to check it also and choose whatever fits better

lyrescript, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  8. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this a joke? Do not waste your time creating a disposable .info fly-by-night directory with a free script and basic template - because you will end up like the rest of the horrid link-farms out there.

If you're going to start a directory do some research on your directory script (don't use PHPLD 2.2 - if you choose to go with PHPLD at least purchase their newest release), customise the template, and for god sake don't start it on a .info domain!

Most importantly - before you start reviewing links, ensure you know how to do it. If you take an accept-all stance or adopt a weak editing standard you will end up with rubbish & your time will be wasted.

Snowblind1, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  9. Forumdirectory

Forumdirectory Notable Member

Best Answers:
    down free program from phplinkdirectory.com/,install program.

Forumdirectory, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  10. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't waste any more time with this troll/ban evader - they've been here under multiple identities and are just trying to game everyone or are just posting for the links: Four months ago they were announcing their new directory and today they want to know how to create one?

I'll reserve the criticism - you're not worth the effort. ;)

Mods should look for the multiple identities associated with this acct. ;)

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
    CReed, Aug 31, 2010 IP
    Turkish likes this.
  11. foreststone

foreststone Peon

Best Answers:
    I think you should find a goal for your free directory first, then you will know how to do it.

foreststone, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  12. Snowblind1

Snowblind1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ah good spotting. IMO there's too many of these people hanging around DP.

Snowblind1, Sep 1, 2010 IP
  13. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've tried the "free directory" model before, and it bombed in my face. I'll never start a free directory ever again, a paid review one is the best way to start off if you are really serious about this.

Ibn Juferi, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  14. sahirfarid

sahirfarid Active Member

Best Answers:
    You may also try boomja directory, which offers free services and also have adsense enabled.

sahirfarid, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  15. carriethomson

carriethomson Peon

Best Answers:
    Finally, i have got some insight for which i have been looking. I too want to make a free directory and this thread has some good suggestions to follow.

carriethomson, Sep 2, 2010 IP
  16. pennylane1284

pennylane1284 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all the suggestions!

pennylane1284, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  17. open-seo

open-seo Peon

Best Answers:
    open-seo, Sep 3, 2010 IP
  18. Torontoairport

Torontoairport Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks you for your good recommendation its really good.......

Torontoairport, Sep 6, 2010 IP
  19. RumpledElf

RumpledElf Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a link directory on one of my sites. It is a niche one, PR 4, and the overwhelming majority of submissions I get (fortunately I don't get that many as no directory submission bots have found the directory yet) are from Indian companies selling things like industrial strength autoclaves or car rental companies, which isn't especially useful on a child/parenting directory.

It started off as a list of sites I personally found interesting but it just kinda grew ...

RumpledElf, Sep 7, 2010 IP
  20. jezzz

jezzz Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can Free Web Diretories! enable to provide some sort of Earning for Premium Links or Featured Links

jezzz, Sep 12, 2010 IP