1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to remove Visitors way to see it's CMS made template?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by buywiser, Aug 30, 2010.

I'm wondering how to remove any ability visitors have to know if it's Drupal, Joomla, Wordpress made template?

I'm using Google Chrome Sniffer & would like to kill the ability for my website to be sniffed...

buywiser, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  2. KrysisDesign

KrysisDesign Peon

Best Answers:
    well its also based partly on the design as well soem designs have implemented code. You would need a webdesigner to get your site and make you the same elemnts with uncoded part and bam

KrysisDesign, Aug 30, 2010 IP
  3. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    First off, what's the likelihood that your average visitor will be using the Google Chrome Sniffer extension? Probably pretty slim.

Secondly, why should you be concerned that anybody might know what CMS you're using? You have secured your application, right? Or are you concerned that somebody might see which template you've installed on your CMS? Again, it's really not hard to simply view the source code of a web page and get an idea of which CMS is being used - Personally I can spot a Wordpress or Joomla! site straight away from the source code; even if you remove the generator meta tag there are still giveaway snippets of code or even file structures I can look at to work out what CMS and template is being used.

The only way I know to attempt to "hide" the CMS would be to hack the core structure/folders/filenames and change them but that would give you a headache when you come to upgrade or install 3rd party extensions/plugins.

If it's the template you're worried about then the template folder etc can be renamed in WP or Joomla! but that's not "the done thing" and could also violate the GNU/GPL.

Lever, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  4. buywiser

buywiser Peon

Best Answers:
    No, don't worry: i don't want to really hide anything.
    Just wonder, cuz lots of big biz websites aren't CMS (from chrome sniffer!), but shure looks like some Joomla or Drupal templates... (never see a Magento website...)

buywiser, Aug 31, 2010 IP
  5. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    The bigger/brand sites tend to be custom/in-house CMS but Wordpress and Joomla seem to be making progress into this arena recently.

I've seen a major brand's design cloned as a WP template then saw the exact same template elsewhere but realised it was a Drupal template, so you can't always tell until you use a tool to "sniff" the code or view the source and look for the tell-tale signs ;)

Lever, Aug 31, 2010 IP